• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Reds vs. Hurricanes in Brisbane (01/03/2013)

Walsh is consistently inconsistent. :p... But the Canes didn't help themselves with all the crap they were pulling. Why kick ALL your possession away when you're best asset is your attacking game. ****ing Savea gets the ball on the outside with maybe 15 metres to the line, looked like a one on one, two on one including the cover defender and he kicks the effing ball.... You're that ****in' big, fast and we all know you can bunt through guys and you kick the ****er!!!....

But prior to this they continued to keep kicking what looked like they were going for territory BUT never actually succeeded.

Is it just me or has Andre Taylor absolutely lost it?.... He has been invisible in both the opening games. (In saying that, Dagg was poor tonight)

And to top it off,... Anyone think Matu'u should've scored that try?.. I reckon his heel was in the air..

I thought it was very close, but that he hadn't actually gone out. Either way, he then passed it forward, from what I saw.

To be fair he hasn't had many real chances for the Reds. The organisation obviously has a lot of faith in him so let's see how he goes against the Canes. If he fails miserably, which I don't think he will, we have two more than adequate replacements in Morahan and Harris. The biggest worry for this match is QC's goal kicking, as I assume he will be taking up the reigns in Harris' absence.

With two less than impressive matches out of the way I'm picking the Reds to play their best rugby of the season.

Reds 23 : Hurricanes 10

I was pretty close with the score prediction then. But it wasn't a good performance from the Reds. They have done enough to beat sub par opponents so far at home but they really need to get out of first gear if they are going to make the finals.

When does Genia comeback?

They are targeting a Round 6 return. And it can't come soon enough with the injury to Ben Lucas (yes another one). I'm not sure how serious it is but he has been poor anyway.

Not the most exciting game, but the conditions didn't help. The Hurricanes probably should have scored late in the match, but were unable to take their chances (though credit much go to the Reds defense).

Hard to identify many standouts for the Canes. Toomaga-Allen made a good impact on his return, and hopefully he continue to build throughout the season. The loosies did some good work on defense (Lowe in particular), but were completely outplayed at the breakdown by their counterparts. Perenara and Barrett struggled a bit again, while Bateman and Smith were quiet in the midfield. Savea was much more potent on attack this week, making a couple of good linebreaks, though why he did that wee grubber into the in-goal I don't know. Taylor was quiet yet again - he barely even touched the ball. The back three are missing Cory Jane, but I think we will see Andre Taylor back to his best once the Canes start delivering him some quality ball to work with...

As I predicted before the match Liam Gill was the key man for the Reds. He completely dominated at the breakdown and was the main reason the Canes couldn't get quick ball. Quirk and Schatz played well again too.

.... ummmn ... just as a side issue,how long do you think, before Foxsports realise that "ref cam" is a complete waste of time, and do away with it..

.... ummmn ... just as a side issue,how long do you think, before Foxsports realise that "ref cam" is a complete waste of time, and do away with it..

Isn't it AWFUL!!!! NBC had it at the Las Vegas 7's and it was dreadful as well if not worse with all the extra running around on the field in 7's.

It's ok sometimes, when the ref is having a long chat with players, but it's stupid how often they show it for no reason, and the bloody Oz commentators go ballistic. I'd rather we saw replays, than stupid ref vision.

Isn't it AWFUL!!!! NBC had it at the Las Vegas 7's and it was dreadful as well if not worse with all the extra running around on the field in 7's.

.... no, that was me , running, with the camera running on video mode, on my mobile phone :D ...In all seriousness though, I get what invictus is saying, and it's quite good to at least kinda see the reaction of the players to the refs explanations ... it would also be good to see what the ref sees when they make a decision, but, as the camera jumps all over the place when the ref is running, or focuses on a players chest, it's kind of a waste of time, and a little annoying

I think maybe Perenara is going to take a bit of time to get back to his best after that long injury layoff. Quite a physical and psychological hurdle to overcome. And his game will be affecting Barrett who is also too good a player to write off. Taylor has been really quiet. Last week I didn't even know he was on the field till late in the game when I finally heard his name. You would also expect him to recover, but his game revolves heavenly around turnover ball, canes win a turn over and get the ball into his hands within a couple of seconds he has been devastating. maybe oppositions are more aware of that this year?

I think maybe Perenara is going to take a bit of time to get back to his best after that long injury layoff. Quite a physical and psychological hurdle to overcome. And his game will be affecting Barrett who is also too good a player to write off. Taylor has been really quiet. Last week I didn't even know he was on the field till late in the game when I finally heard his name. You would also expect him to recover, but his game revolves heavenly around turnover ball, canes win a turn over and get the ball into his hands within a couple of seconds he has been devastating. maybe oppositions are more aware of that this year?

Heavily? The Hurricanes were bad, tough game to try turn it around with this weekend agianst the Crusaders. Barrett and Perenara look shells of themselves from last season so far.

Meh, not too worried about Peranara/Barrett. I don't even think they played THAT badly. The canes forwards got them no clean go forward ball, especially last game in which the Reds trio just owned the Canes. Besides missing three kicks at goal, Barrett's general kicking from hand was often very accurate and they stayed in the Reds half during the 2nd half because of it.

The game was pretty dissapointing and it's been a dissapointing start, but I think people are going waaay over the top with the doom and gloom of it. Of the players I was especially displeased with, Barrett and Peranara don't even really register. Vito by his standards was very quiet and made some poor handling errors. Brad Shields still hasn't shown anywhere near the physicality I had expected. Alapati Leiua didn't look dangerous at all on the wing - and made a decision at the end which basically cost the Canes the game. Eaton's handling was uncharistically poor and as mentioned, Andre Taylor remains completely anonymous in attack. His defense has been very good, but there are a number of time he should have joined the line in attack.

Of the players that actually impressed, only Savea (who I agree kicked too much rather than holding onto it), Conrad Smith, Broadhurst who I thought looked very good when he came on, Karl Lowe, Toomaga-Allen and Reggie Goodes and Motu Matu'u did well. The substitutes all played better than most of the starters, which is promising that we have a bit of depth.

The cane's halfback has "Yolo" tattooed on his wrist, they deserved the loss just for that.

No one mentioned this?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah right, he was cleared by the the Int ref panel, immediately appologised and the pushed player had a laugh afterwards as well