• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sven and Arabs to Villa

S

saintgoodie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has told an undercover reporter he would quit if England win the World Cup this summer, says the News of the World.
Eriksson is also quoted suggesting he would be prepared to become manager of Aston Villa as part of a takeover.

The Football Association refused to comment on the article, which also featured claims attributed to Eriksson about David Beckham and Michael Owen.

Eriksson's agent Athol Still called the article "disgraceful entrapment".

An FA spokesman said: "We want to reflect on the article in full before we make any formal comment."

Eriksson, who is under contract as England coach until 2008, was on an FA-sanctioned trip to Dubai when he is said to have been contacted by an undercover reporter who said he wanted to discuss a coaching job at a new football academy in Dubai.

He is said to have told the reporter that Aston Villa was for sale, that England captain David Beckham would return to play in England if Eriksson asked him to, and that striker Michael Owen was not happy at Newcastle.

As well as saying he would leave the England job if they won in Germany this summer, he is also reported to have said he would like to be paid as much as Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, the top earner in the Premiership.

At no point did Sven say he would not honour his contract with England - he has even talked with me about extending it to 2010

Athol Still

Still says there were never any negotiations and described many of the claims as "sheer fantasy".

"The people we spoke to seemed totally plausible," he said.

"Following the discussions the people we spoke to said they had a substantial sum of money to invest in a Premiership club.

"I mentioned Aston Villa and Sunderland. The rest of the conversation was sheer fantasy.

"At no point did Sven say he would not honour his contract with England - he has even talked with me about extending it to 2010.

"He did talk about possibly managing Aston Villa because you never know what will happen in football, but it was all hypothetical.

"There were never any negotiations, it was all just fantasising.

"Sven is really angry that they have done this in a World Cup year. I will have to read the article fully before considering whether we will take any further action."[/b]

Aswell as supporting Saints im a keen Vill fan and this is would be what every one has been dreaming of at villa park.Just if its true or not, the news of the world website does have video footage of the talks how ever.

where did u get this from? the sun?
<

Actually the News of The World.... With their Fake Shiek again, they framed him... which i find very funny

These frame ups are so pathetic, if this was as I imagine, Sven sitting down with some big wig Arab Sheihk, then of course he's going to tell him what he wants to hear, no offense to Villa but can you really see Ericksson going from England to mid table mediocrity in the premiership, I doubt it.

If im honest i cant see it happening and would prefer the Irish comer brothers who are actually going to take us later this week apparently.

Why would a english paper stitch up there english manager just before the world cup?

it seems to be a national pasttime to hound the England football team and officials, don't think important tournaments are taken into consideration by the Red Tops.

Originally posted by Flamingo@Jan 15 2006, 08:23 PM
Why would a english paper stitch up there english manager just before the world cup?
It's the News of the World. I'd rather wipe my arse with it then read most of the crap in there. Makes the Sun look respectable.

As all the best tabloid journalists do, they'll go to any lengths to get a story, no matter who it impacts on.

I doubt it has or doubt it will, there's nothing to the story, it's a mountain out a molehill, will all be forgotten by when the Irish take over Villa and pledge their loyalty to David O'Leary

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Why would a english paper stitch up there english manager just before the world cup?[/b]

great point - its shte same in wales - most of the press are so negative at the moment - its almost as if they want them to fail.

the more petty and vindictive they are the more papers they sell, they say they're fans as well but they couldn't give a shite about the team.

Farce!

And people wonder why I no longer want to follow a career in journalism! Making the news, not selling it, AGAIN.

Latest posts