• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tate to the Warriors?

W

woosaah

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4078163a1823.html

Brisbane winger Brent Tate is reported to be close to signing a long-term National Rugby League contract with the New Zealand Warriors.

Tate, 25, has been linked in recent weeks with a move to the Warriors, and Brisbane's Courier-Mail newspaper today said he was on the verge of confirming plans to cross the Tasman next season.

The deal was thought to be worth $400,000 a year and would mean the Kangaroo flyer joining up with Queensland teammate and brother-in-law Steve Price at the Auckland-based club.

Tate was believed to have turned down strong offers from the Broncos, Penrith and at least one English Super League side, the Courier-Mail said.

There had also been talk of a switch to rugby union, but the Australian Rugby Union withdrew its offer last week after receiving an International Rugby Board ruling.

The IRB ruled that Tate could not be registered because of the neck brace he has worn since his career was seriously threatened by a neck injury in 2005.

Tate is among a swag of Broncos coming off contract. The others include Brad Thorn, Petero Civoniceva, Justin Hodges, Shaun Berrigan, Greg Eastwood, Darius Boyd and Steve Michaels.
[/b]

cricky didnt know anything about this, what do you guys think?

yeah ive known about this for a couple of months. hodges is off-contract too... i would rather spend my money on him.
$400,000PY is a F*cken joke. the guys worth $300,000 tops. what a waste of money....

yeah heard about this and also heard warriors offered up to 450k. josh hannay is rumoured to be the back-up incase the tate deal goes through. warriors should be reasonable for money having released vuna and unlikely to re-sign byrne gatis martin swann. only martin I think is really any chance of being signed. warriors also have options on several other players and some proabbly won't be renewed. won't havoe a lot of money but enough I think to get 1 or 2 big signings if they choose to

BREAKING NEWS: The New Zealand Warriors have confirmed they had signed Brisbane centre Brent Tate until the end of the 2010 NRL season.

Queensland and Test centre Tate, 25, will move to Auckland later this year and join brother-in-law Steve Price at the Warriors.

Price is married to Tate's sister Jo and the Broncos player said moving to New Zealand was very much a lifestyle choice.

Tate's wife, Lani Bourke, is part-Maori and many of her family also live in New Zealand.

Tate had been heavily courted by several NRL clubs and also had offers from English Super League clubs.

"I had some other options in front of me but I was really excited about what the Warriors had to offer," Tate said in a statement.

"It's obviously a club with a huge future, a really good coach in Ivan Cleary and a great playing squad.

"Signing with the club was also about lifestyle. I've been to Auckland plenty of times over the years and it's a place I like. We won't have any worries fitting in."

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said signing Tate fulfilled the club's goal to secure a marquee player.

The Warriors had earlier this year missed out on luring Kiwi superstar Sonny Bill Williams back home to Auckland.

"There was naturally a lot of interest in Brent and we're thrilled we've been able to convince him to join the Warriors," he said.

"It's a big day in the club's history to sign a player of his calibre."

[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4078163a1823.html

:)

Of the 3 big-name-broncos that are off contract, that being Justin Hodges, Shaun Berrigan and Brent Tate, Justin Hodges is tipped to stay, Shaun Berrigan is a bit 50/50 and Brent Tate is a certainty to go.

Hope he replaces that winger (Manu Fatuvei or something) who had a shocker against the Eels last week.

Hope he replaces that winger (Manu Fatuvei or something) who had a shocker against the Eels last week.
[/b]

Yeah Manu Vatuvei. He played a big part in the Warriors loss to the Eels. But I wouldn't write him off, he is still a good league player and hopefully he will find his form again. I mean he will.

Hope he replaces that winger (Manu Fatuvei or something) who had a shocker against the Eels last week. [/b]

Yes, Tate has signed for 3 years with the Warriors. But you calling for him to replace Manu Vatuvai for having one terrible game. Come on now, thats stupid. Manu is a pretty damn good player and all he has to do is find his form again which won't take long at all and he'll be fine.

Tate is a wonderful signing for the Warriors. Although I'm a Broncos supporter through and through, I can't wait to see how Tate adapts to the Warriors style of play. I reckon he'll be an absolute try scoring machine!

Vatuvai has been **** all season, The Eels game was just him hitting rock bottom.

Danger...are you going to explain why Tate is a waste of money? Please don't provide me with your standard 2 word posts either.

I think needs a change of scenery to get back to his best. Like many of the Broncos he seems complacent during games and seemingly satisfied with mediocrity. I think a trip across the ditch will bring out the best in him.

Danger...are you going to explain why Tate is a waste of money? Please don't provide me with your standard 2 word posts either.
[/b]
Because thats over a tenth of the salary cap spent on a guy with an ironing board down his shirt who they overpaid by a $100,000. The Warriors still need some halves (although hopefully Rovelli can finally return to last years form) and some second rowers, not a centre who is a ball hog.

halves for the warriors are all signed through to 2009 so they have to hope the likes of rovelli etc come good. warriors did need a centre and tate isn't half bad either. mannering belongs in the forwards and he will be there next year I think with the signing of tate and louie anderson leaving. warriors were also supposedly going after hannay incase the tate deal fell apart.

warriors desperately need a ball playing backrower to spark something in attack. the likes of anderson luck koopu while good workhorses are very average in terms of being able too offload or do anything interesting on attack. there is a rumour going around that wiki might be retiring either this week or at the end of the season due to a neck injury so that should free up cash for a backrower if true.

waste of money...
[/b]
Tate will be a great asset to the warriors he has a ton of speed and great defender.
Id prefer him than vatuvai who always seems to drop the ball.

Latest posts