• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tekken 5

G

Gay-Guy

Just had a go at Tekken 5 on PS2.

Well if you are an expert from the other Tekkens then all your skill will not be lost at all on the newest version. The basic fundamentals are still there. So you should just slot right in there and keep kicking the asses of newies trying to jump the line and join the series at this instalment.

If you are like me and hate the Tekken series (especially that automatic block crap) then you will be disappointed if you were hoping for a drastic revamp in the gameplay. It is still the same old boring stuff with the same old pathetic slow half a metre sidestep and slow as move forward and back.

Framerate wise and graphic wise the game still was not up to Dead or Alive 3 standard (and that game is old!). The characters still move a bit unnaturally and looka bit blocky.

Not even having a spaceship shoot up when waiting for the Dick to boot at the beginning or having a 3D extra game called Jin the Devil or something can save this ***le. they also have the older Tekkens (up to 3) on the CD for you to walk down memory lane to play.

There seems to be no added change of any significance. The storylines for each character are still echoeing the same old stuff that past DOA/VF?SC series have had. Even the old Soul Blade had some OPTIONS with your characters story.

Sorry, but Tekken 5 is just another similar instalment to Tekken 4 with a slightly different storyline (as you would expect). No effort in developing or progressing in any of Tekkens characteristics (though they would argue "Look at our sales! If it ain't broke, why fix it?"). I would say Tekken was never a complete fighting game and NAMCO has just ridden on its success for the money it can get out of it.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Sep 17 2005, 04:55 PM
Just had a go at Tekken 5 on PS2.

Well if you are an expert from the other Tekkens then all your skill will not be lost at all on the newest version. The basic fundamentals are still there. So you should just slot right in there and keep kicking the asses of newies trying to jump the line and join the series at this instalment.

If you are like me and hate the Tekken series (especially that automatic block crap) then you will be disappointed if you were hoping for a drastic revamp in the gameplay. It is still the same old boring stuff with the same old pathetic slow half a metre sidestep and slow as move forward and back.

Framerate wise and graphic wise the game still was not up to Dead or Alive 3 standard (and that game is old!). The characters still move a bit unnaturally and looka bit blocky.

Not even having a spaceship shoot up when waiting for the Dick to boot at the beginning or having a 3D extra game called Jin the Devil or something can save this ***le. they also have the older Tekkens (up to 3) on the CD for you to walk down memory lane to play.

There seems to be no added change of any significance. The storylines for each character are still echoeing the same old stuff that past DOA/VF?SC series have had. Even the old Soul Blade had some OPTIONS with your characters story.

Sorry, but Tekken 5 is just another similar instalment to Tekken 4 with a slightly different storyline (as you would expect). No effort in developing or progressing in any of Tekkens characteristics (though they would argue "Look at our sales! If it ain't broke, why fix it?"). I would say Tekken was never a complete fighting game and NAMCO has just ridden on its success for the money it can get out of it.
Tekken games are like EA sports ***les, ie merely "updates" rather than proper sequels... they're still usually fun though.

I haven't played Tekken 5. But Tekken 3 was my favourite. Easily. Tekken 4 just took a step back. I recently got Dead or Alive Ultimate on Xbox. Not really a great purchase, but it's a lot of fun. Just Revamped graphics, and unlockables for Dead or Alive 2 really.
I'm glad I didn't buy Tekken 5 now, if it's just an update of Tekken 4.

Originally posted by sanzar@Sep 17 2005, 05:00 PM
Tekken games are like EA sports ***les, ie merely "updates" rather than proper sequels... they're still usually fun though.
Yes but the jump from Tekken 4 to Tekken 5 is not at all an update. They are both very similar, like twin games with slight differences. The jumps from the other Tekkens were bigger and more obvious.

love tekken 3,tekken tag, and tekken 5
am a big tekken fan

but what GG says is........A BIG LIE!
<

na jokes
<

sameold sameold

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Sep 17 2005, 05:00 PM
I recently got Dead or Alive Ultimate on Xbox. Not really a great purchase, but it's a lot of fun. Just Revamped graphics, and unlockables for Dead or Alive 2 really.
Yeah that was a major disappointment going back to DOA2 for their online play. Why couldn't they make DOA3 online with a few extra characters and stages and call that DOA Ultimate?

Oh and by the way.........

.........after kicking everybody else's ass Gen Fu finally found the secret to defeat Bass. Now he is the Ultimate fighter of DOA3

Gen Fu FOREVER!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Sep 17 2005, 05:06 PM
Gen Fu FOREVER!!!!!!!!
Speaking of which, I just hear Scorpio Girls by Supergroove for the first time in years...I can't believe I used to like them.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Sep 17 2005, 05:13 PM
Speaking of which, I just hear Scorpio Girls by Supergroove for the first time in years...I can't believe I used to like them.
Have those songs on my computer. Supergroove still rule even now!

.........maybe that was not a good thing to say.

So what was your favourite character on DOA3? And where do you get the money to buy games without even trying them out first?

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Sep 17 2005, 05:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Sep 17 2005, 05:19 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-.:kaftka:.
@Sep 17 2005, 05:13 PM
Have those songs on my computer. Supergroove still rule even now!

oeiouauioeuau from Tekken.

And, Supergroove was pretty cool. I love 'Can't get enough'....classic.

Kazumi? Xiaouy? The babest fighting babe of all time is undoubtly Tina of DOA3 (DOA3 Beach Volleyball). Even the girl from Brazil on Tekken 5 is no match (damn...........now I've given people a reason to go play that cursed game)

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Sep 17 2005, 05:36 PM
Kazumi? Xiaouy? The babest fighting babe of all time is undoubtly Tina of DOA3 (DOA3 Beach Volleyball). Even the girl from Brazil on Tekken 5 is no match (damn...........now I've given people a reason to go play that cursed game)
Do you mean Christie from Tekken?

But yes, in terms of looks/bust size, Tina is the undisputed champion
<

She has a neato wrestling style too which is unmatched by any of the other girls.

Real men play Virtua Fighter 4. Less of the gloss and gimmicks but far, far more of the depth
<

Originally posted by ZoMbIeAsRtOnAuT@Sep 18 2005, 01:08 AM
Real men play Virtua Fighter 4. Less of the gloss and gimmicks but far, far more of the depth
<
Yeah that was OK. It didn't have the counters of DOA though which made you think twice about button mashing. Though lots of people agreed that the counters on DOA 3 were too pwerful.

What was Lau's daughters name again on VF4? Man she so kicked everyone badly. She was the bomb, better than Dad.

Pai, she is a tricky little minx
<

I think a lot of the problems with the VF games are because of its depth, you can get through it with button mashing (a problem with the DOA games too) but if you see 2 players on it who REALLY know what they are doing then you see some awesome fights. The engine is that detailed that its a very good simulation of the different fighting styles used in the game. You get more out of it the more you put in.

Ive always enjoyed the DOA games too, I think they form a good balance between the VF and Tekken games.

Originally posted by ZoMbIeAsRtOnAuT@Sep 18 2005, 09:53 PM
Pai, she is a tricky little minx
<

Ive always enjoyed the DOA games too, I think they form a good balance between the VF and Tekken games.
Yes Pai.

Her combos were farer reaching than dads and they were tricky enough to make the opposition take a wild guess whether the last blow was high or low. A bit like that punk Cervantes on Soul Blade with his two horizontals then option for the third whether to go high with a verticle or low with a sweep. Could never guess quick enough.

Very true summing up DOA series as the balance between the VF series and the Tekken series. If only their counters weren't that powerful.

So where did you rank the Soul Calibur series?

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Sep 17 2005, 05:40 PM
Do you mean Christie from Tekken?
No, there is a new girl from Brazil who has taken over Eddie (same fighting style). She is fairly gorgeous........no, hot would be a better word.

For a "complete" fighting game package, Soul Calibur takes some beating,with the mission modes, etc. I probably play it more than VF, even though I think VF is the better fighter (if that makes any sense). Like I said previously, you really have to put the work in with VF to appreciate it, Soul Calibur is a game I can just pick up and enjoy...though I still haven't mastered Ivy's Summon Suffering! It has got some depth to its move though, more than Tekken thats for sure.

Its different enough fighter to have in a collection next to your Tekkens, DOA's and VF's.

I didn't rate the PS2/Xbox/Cube versions as highly as the Dreamcast one. The DC game was groundbreaking really, at true work of art. Looking forward to SC3 a great deal.

Originally posted by ZoMbIeAsRtOnAuT@Sep 19 2005, 04:28 AM
I didn't rate the PS2/Xbox/Cube versions as highly as the Dreamcast one. The DC game was groundbreaking really, at true work of art. Looking forward to SC3 a great deal.
Exactly. I thought Soul Calibur II was a backward step as a sequel compared to what they had on Dreancast.

Pity that Soul Calibre was only on Dreamcast as that was a game that was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of its time. SC2 seems to have gone backwards with the graphics and everything.

I like the 360 degree movement where you weren't afraid of doing an accidental jump if you moved away. Had problems with DOA3 when trying to move sideways into the background and then the jump would occur.

Latest posts