• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Television Replays being Abused

I watched the second half of NZ Eng again last night (it was that good!) When McCaw literally turned Attwood over by picking up the ball, the crowd booed. They replayed it, they booed louder - panned to a bloke in the crowd so incensed AFTER watching the replay he was standing and swearing waving his arms at a 100% legal play. He simply must have thought due the fact it was replayed, and it was McCaw, there MUST have been foul play, even my English wife said 'whats his problem, there was nothing wrong with that'

I watched the second half of NZ Eng again last night (it was that good!) When McCaw literally turned Attwood over by picking up the ball, the crowd booed. They replayed it, they booed louder - panned to a bloke in the crowd so incensed AFTER watching the replay he was standing and swearing waving his arms at a 100% legal play. He simply must have thought due the fact it was replayed, and it was McCaw, there MUST have been foul play, even my English wife said 'whats his problem, there was nothing wrong with that'

what's the time on the game clock? I think i remember that happening.

it's a good job Kiwi fans never over react....... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7034858.stm

THIS^^^

Its the decision to actually go to the TMO that is being influenced, not so much the subsequent decisions.

If you are the referee and you suddenly hear raucous booing while a replay is being shown, it would be hard to resist looking at the big screen to see what they are booing at, espocually if it is happening during "down time" while a player is being treated for injury or a substitution/replacement is being made.

As SelimNiai said, the perception that the referee is influenced is not a good thing either.
To put in measures where the referee is stopped from being alerted to foul play is essentially a race to the bottom. We need to be looking at ways that the referee can be further alerted to foul play from the home team, not take away ways that the referee can be alerted to foul play from the away team.

Agree with the sentiment that "we need to be looking at ways that the referee can be further alerted to foul play from the home team." I think what irks a lot of people though is that alerting the referee IN ITSELF is positive. Helpful even. But it loses that fuzzy-feeling when only one team is being aided by it thanks to the Broadcasting people. If you're gonna do it, do it for both teams, or not at all. Yes it happened and calling it up is technically correct, but what about all the other crap you've chose not to show? Two wrongs never make a right. As I've said though, I totally get that would probably be very hard to enforce.

I'll just keep quiet for now though. If this kind of thing decides a quarter/semi/final at the World Cup I'm sure it'll magically become a wider issue.

Last edited:
Agree with the sentiment that "we need to be looking at ways that the referee can be further alerted to foul play from the home team." I think what irks a lot of people though is that alerting the referee IN ITSELF is positive. Helpful even. But it loses that fuzzy-feeling when only one team is being aided by it thanks to the Broadcasting people. If you're gonna do it, do it for both teams, or not at all. Yes it happened and calling it up is technically correct, but what about all the other crap you've chose not to show? Two wrongs never make a right. As I've said though, I totally get that would probably be very hard to enforce.

I'll just keep quiet for now though. If this kind of thing decides a quarter/semi/final at the World Cup I'm sure it'll magically become a wider issue.

... Yes, or when it's not an offence at all, and it's being "Alerted" over and over, in slow motion, by someone who isn't qualified (in terms of the laws of the game) to do so. I'm sure the players/coaches themselves are more than happy to "Alert" the officials, of indiscretions by the opposition ... why not let them do it on a limited basis

Did you guys catch the discussion between Steve Walsh and Jean De Villiers on Saturday?

JDV asked Walsh to check for foul play. Where Walsh responded "they didn't show it on the Big Screen, and I don't think you'll get any assistance here, mate".

This is exactly the type of thing that we don't want, where producers purposefully not show anything in back play, which will benefit the away team.

Did you guys catch the discussion between Steve Walsh and Jean De Villiers on Saturday?

JDV asked Walsh to check for foul play. Where Walsh responded "they didn't show it on the Big Screen, and I don't think you'll get any assistance here, mate".

This is exactly the type of thing that we don't want, where producers purposefully not show anything in back play, which will benefit the away team.

Bingo. Broadcaster shows it (e.g. Messam hit on Burger) then ref can check. Broadcaster doesn't show it (and why would they highlight a foul by the local team) and the ref can't check it.

The refs are the ones being undermined the most by this, they should be wanting change more than anyone.

what point of the game was that?

I saw the bit where JDV was b*tching about something (the lineout after Habana was wrongly given for carrying into touch)and Walsh said "look at what?" and JDV just went the line out and Walsh just walked off, don't recall that bit you're referring to.

also remember the bit where Walsh told his linesman off for not telling him it was a knock on - "you've got to look at me mate, come on sort it out"

Latest posts