• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 1: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Im hopinh the bring off davies at 60 put daly to 13 and williams to wing halfpenny to Fb.
Faz to 12 sexton at 10 x will totally cha ge the game for lions
I hope Davies stays on he is the form centre on tour and also in the weeks leading up to the tour, my heart says 31 - 23 to the Lions with Davies having a stormer and AWJ posting a MOM performance.

I hope Davies stays on he is the form centre on tour and also in the weeks leading up to the tour, my heart says 31 - 23 to the Lions with Davies having a stormer and AWJ posting a MOM performance.

I can see both these things happening, and in fairness Davies has been in the best form I've seen him in quite a while, and AWJ has the ability in him, especially on the big occasions.
We will make some line breaks, whether with crash ballers, or more likely when they're dummy runners, plus there';s always sinckler if we're struggling! Can we get the wingers to actually support though is the question

Im hopinh the bring off davies at 60 put daly to 13 and williams to wing halfpenny to Fb.
Faz to 12 sexton at 10 x will totally cha ge the game for lions
I can see both these things happening, and in fairness Davies has been in the best form I've seen him in quite a while, and AWJ has the ability in him, especially on the big occasions.
We will make some line breaks, whether with crash ballers, or more likely when they're dummy runners, plus there';s always sinckler if we're struggling! Can we get the wingers to actually support though is the question
Yes indeed, if we can get the back 3 in play we can cause havoc as the game progress's

I wonder what the outcome would have been had there been TMO twelve years ago. Two red cards? Could have been all so different.

Dont be so sure, it was viewed by many as a clear out and at the time dumping someone (lifting them past the horizontal and driving them into the ground) wasnt seen as such a great crime. THAT clear out on BOD changed a lot of perceptions and a lot of rules but I believe there was a chance to cite both players but the citing officer claimed there was not grounds to do so.

Dont be so sure, it was viewed by many as a clear out and at the time dumping someone (lifting them past the horizontal and driving them into the ground) wasnt seen as such a great crime. THAT clear out on BOD changed a lot of perceptions and a lot of rules but I believe there was a chance to cite both players but the citing officer claimed there was not grounds to do so.

True but player safety is far more prominent these days and there is far less tolerance for dangerous play. If that happened now it would be at least one red card.

True but player safety is far more prominent these days and there is far less tolerance for dangerous play. If that happened now it would be at least one red card.
If it happened now yes but even with the TMO back in 2005 I doubt there would have been 1 red card.

Lets bleedin' hope so ayy.

About time AWJ put in an absolute stonker of a performance.

Davies the form centre though..debatable.

The only thing I may say about AWJ being there is that I've heard from Jared Saunders, who reported that Jamie George said the same thing, that Kruis is awful at making calls in a lineout, like genuinely awful. I'd love Itoje to be there too, but can also understand a little bit of old fashioned nous might be a good thing, and a top form AWJ if he can raise his game to the required levels, is truly awesome.

I like the look of this team, BBC originally posted by mistake Joseph starting at 13, which got me really excited that the wingers would see the ball, but it seems thats not the case, he has almost universally gone on form though and for that I will give Gats some credit
I very much disagree with your first comment read this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/05/06/george-kruis-best-world-have-have-obsession/

If you can't read that here's a copy https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-telegraph-sport/20170507/281835758610729

Having rewatched alot of the Saders game vs pretty much the lions team gatland has selected for this test.... I think NZ can expect to see the Lions run the ball more than we might expect. The lions front row is actually pretty bloody good for northern players out in the loose/backline which is a bit of a suprise to me he's ended up with that style of prop. Almost like NZ was 10 years ago in giving up scrumaging ability for a tight 5 thats better out in the backline.... Not so sure its going to work for them though.
Dont care what anyone else on here says the Saders smashed that Lions scrum on multiple occasions. I think the only area the lions might get us is lineouts/driving mauls so our kicking game must be very good and kick return especially as im hugely impressed by Conor Murray more so than any other Lions player. To me he is the Key for the Lions NZ must put him under enormous pressure.

I think us having to select Cody Taylor gives us a decisive advantage in the scrums but possibly not as strong in the lineout.... hard to say as have not followed Cody in the lineout much.

If NZ get even close to the sort of go forward the Saders got in that game its going to be a very long night for the Lions.

Almost on the eve of the 1st test it must be appropriate to mention with immense sadness the announcement of Doddie Wear's illness. Having looked up possible causes for MND, the following list seems to appear frequently -:

• 1. A stressful lifestyle or particularly stressful events
  • 2. Diet
  • 3. Exposure to chemicals (especially in agricultural work and on food, but also when working as a firefighter and installing industrial machinery)
  • 4. Exercise, sport and sports injuries
  • 5. Other injury (including head injuries and leg injuries)
  • 6. Previous chemotherapy and surgery
  • 7. Medication for depression
  • 8. Amalgam teeth fillings
  • 9. Throat infections, viruses
  • 10. Lyme disease
  • 11. Genetics
  • 12 Frequent travelling (including muscle cramps caused by sitting still for long periods).

Of these Possible causes it is worrying that several can be linked to sport, 1, 4, 5 and possibly 12.

Whatever the cause I am going to bung a few hard earned pounds in the direction of MND research and would urge others to do so.

Meanwhile I wish Doddie and his family all the very best in the way of hope and treatment for the future.

I was really only reporting what had been told to me, nothing more!

From the Hookers perspective at least
Maybe previously he wasn't very good but why would both England and Saracens let someone call the lineout who's not very good at it? Especially as both sets of lineouts have impressive figures. He was calling the lineout in one of the warm-up games and I bet he calls the lineout tomorrow.

Maybe previously he wasn't very good but why would both England and Saracens let someone call the lineout who's not very good at it? Especially as both sets of lineouts have impressive figures. He was calling the lineout in one of the warm-up games and I bet he calls the lineout tomorrow.
I had the same reaction as you just thought I'd share that little tidbit of info here directly from the horses mouth. Though I'd imagine Alun Wyn will be calling them tomorrow

Well the world and his wife have had their say about the Lions line so I'm gonna have mine :):

Front Row:
Couldn't really go wrong tbh - I might have swapped McGrath and Owens for MV & George for greater impact off the bench but it's really splitting hairs innit.

2nd Row:
AWJ has all the experience and is a dominant physical presence so can see why he's been picked to start.
But for me it would have been Itoje & Kruis with Lawes/Henderson on the bench (probably Lawes, just - because of his destructive presence round the field making an impact)

Back Row:
Starting 3 are all the form picks. Reckon SW selected on the bench 'cos of his versatility.
I'm not Stander's biggest fan but he's put in a hell of a shift in the games he's played and has to be the unluckiest of those to miss out imho.

Half backs:
Can't fault it at all - starts and bench look right. Tight between Sexton and Farrell to start but probably the right call based on their respective form.
Tbh, I'm amazed people are still going on about Farrell playing 12 - it's been clear from the off that this wasn't the plan and he has a lot more experience at 10.

Centres:
The form picks really.
Te'o appears to be the traditional tour 'bolter' and has shown more subtlety in his movement than he seems to be getting credit for - can he stop SBW offloading? Can anyone - probably as well equipped as any of the available options.
Davies superb at finding space but god I hope he gets his distribution right - might make or break us.

Back 3:

A bit of a surprise but can't argue really - Williams has always looked a better FB than wing for me and played well on Tues.
I must admit, I would have picked North (odd I know, I'm surprised to be saying it given his form) and had Daly on the bench - can't explain it really, just a feeling that he's due a big game.
I don't understand the value of 1/2penny on the bench - unless we somehow think an impact kicker is gonna win the game. If he isn't starting, then I wouldn't include him.

Prediction:
Heart has completely taken over my head, rendering anything I say meaningless so I'm chickening out.
My main concern is I can't see the Lions being more than 10 up with 15 to go - the kiwis then doing what they do best in the closing minutes. Not sure we can hold them out.

Can't wait!
(I'm at Goodwood on Friday so the place I'm staying had better have the game on or they're gonna see a 'five-year-old in the supermarket' type tantrum from a paying guest).

Last edited:
Would have liked to see stander in the 15 or 23 at least but guess he did play Tuesday so i get it. Would have liked itoje starting

Where did you read these selections? No Noholo or Savea to be seen anywhere on the selection im looking at.

I am also a bit surprised Naholo is not atleast on the bench.... Signs that Hansen is being cautious by selecting ALB to cover most of the backline, I guess it is the first test afterall.

My bad, I saw 'Savea' and assumed it was Julian, now that I see it is Ardie I'm definitely happier.
Good call to rest Julian, he needs to show more hunger.
Naholo missing out is a tough call but Hansen is not keeping any wingers on the bench.
Hansen senses the forward battle coming and he's given himself extra forward depth so ALB covers the midfield and possibly wing.
Not a bad call.

Last edited:
I struggle to understand the overwhelming majority on here who think that Halfpenny is either lucky to be on the bench or lucky to be in the match day squad. He might not be the flashiest player but he is an excellent kicker as his 100% record on tour confirms. The question I keep asking myself is how can the Lions win. Are we likely to score several tries or are we more likely to win by converting penalties to points? And are we likely to receive several penalties given the ABs propensity to commit offences which hitherto they have got away with but now hopefully will not as referees have been briefed about their potential infractions.

Taking all of these points into account I believe it is important to have the most reliable kicker on the pitch from the start and that person must be Halfpenny. For that reason I must disagree with the majority view.

Of course others can do the job but of the starters that duty will fall to Farrell. How has he done on tour so far? Not great sad to say. That leads me to the conclusion that Halfpenny should start even though I accept his shortcomings that have been highlighted by others.

Latest posts