• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 47 dream (on) team!

Ah, but the trump card there is Farrell (who no doubt will play every game regardless of form being as he cost so much) is supposed to be a kicker of reasonable quality.

Which is lucky as the rest of his game is pathetic.

I'm sorry but I cannot understand for the life of me all of this love for Toby Flood. Judging off the performances we have seen so far from him in an England shirt, he isn't good enough to play international rugby and is a weak link in any England side that he plays in. Hodgson deserves a place in the side, goal-kicking and tackling aside (even though he is still pretty darn good at that), Hodgson is the better fly half in terms of passing, playmaking an general directing of the game, and anyone who watches Sale on a regular basis will agree with me. My perfect combination would be Hodgson at 10 and Wilkinson at 12 with goal-kicking duties. For those that say "Wilkinson cannot play at 12" my argument to you is he would actually be a better inside centre than fly half, and would've probably played there if it wasn't for his exceptional kicking. Anyone watching the tests against South Africa will know that on a number of occasions, Wilko actually rotated positions with Flood, and seemed just as comfortable. He tackles well and is strong enough to take the crash ball, so I see no problem in him slotting in at 12 to accomodate the better playmaking ability of Hodgson. I would like to see this tried out in any warm up games that we have remaining, as an experiment to see if it does have success.

Welcome to the forum Raven Ravin.

Could you start off by describing to us one decent international performance that Charlie Hodgeson has had in his two year career as England fly-half other than against South Africa in 2004?

Sorry for my ignorance but who is this Italian C**t everyone keeps referring to?? <_<

Welcome to the forum Raven Ravin.

Could you start off by describing to us one decent international performance that Charlie Hodgeson has had in his two year career as England fly-half other than against South Africa in 2004?
[/b]

Thanks, for the welcome, glad I stumbled across the forum, always been looking for like-minded folk to debate rugby with!

In terms of Charlie, his six nations performances have been good, but have been overshadowed by poor goal-kicking that the media have blown up, forgetting that he actually played well against Ireland especially. He was arguably the best fly half on tour for the Lions in 2005, but his problem (other than injuries) is that he has let the pressure of goal kicking in international tournaments get to him; ignore that and most of his performances have been of a high standard in an England and Lions top. If he and Wilkinson were incorporated into the same team, you get Hodgson's playmaking ability with the kicking and tactical prowess of Wilkinson, abit like the Larkham-Giteau combination for Australia, only Wilkinson would be able to take the crash ball where Giteau doesn't.

In my opinion it is a combination worth trying, because potentially you get the perfect pairing. Australia have shown you can marry together a playmaking fly half with a kicking inside centre successfully, and we may well have the players to mirror their success.

What is your opinion on this? Workable or am I being stupid? At past 11pm I may well be writing utter drivel that taints my reputation before ive even started!!

I don't want to come in here and tell you English about your players but in response to raven ravin's post, imo Hodgson is below Goode and that's pretty bad.

How do you boys rate Shane Gerathy, he who carved the Boks up in Twickers last year, and then what about Ollie Barkley? From what I've seen I'd take Hodgson, Barkley and Geraty (sp?) above Goode and Hodgson any day.

Can Johnny really take the physicallity at centre? I mean he's a good tackler but very injury prone isn't he? We'd have the same song from you boys that we're having from the kiwi's at the moment wrt McAllister being played out of position...

From what I've seen I'd take Hodgson, Barkley and Geraty (sp?) above Goode and Hodgson any day.[/b]

Ah so you would take Hodgson, but then you wouldn't? :)

For me the fly-halfs I would take with me would be Geraghty, Flood and Lamb. All three are very dynamic and flexible people and can play at centre as well as fly-half.

Gerathy would be my first choice, but he doesn't play for one of the holy trinity of clubs so will always be overlooked. As for Barkley... No. Just, No.

Cipriani is a name that constantyly frustrates me being overlooked all the time.

<div class='quotemain'>From what I've seen I'd take Hodgson, Barkley and Geraty (sp?) above Goode and Hodgson any day.[/b]

Ah so you would take Hodgson, but then you wouldn't? :)

For me the fly-halfs I would take with me would be Geraghty, Flood and Lamb. All three are very dynamic and flexible people and can play at centre as well as fly-half.
[/b][/quote]

aaah it's past my bed time, I've been exposed. :blink:

I meant I'd have Flood, Barkley and Gerathy instead of little fat man with the pug face and hodgson

If Hodgson has not done enough to warrant a place at international level, what has Flood done to deserve a place?

My perfect combination would be Hodgson at 10 and Wilkinson at 12 with goal-kicking duties.[/b]

I would think Wilkinson would be alright at 12. Against Ireland in the 6 nations he switched with Farrell in defence. I would have thought that Geraghty although inexperienced would would fit into the role better than Hodgson.

If Hodgson has not done enough to warrant a place at international level, what has Flood done to deserve a place? [/b]

Not ballsed it up at every opportunity. Plus, he plays like a classic NH fly-half which is no good in the modern game (this also applies to Wilko). Flood and Gerathy play the running 1st Five-Eight SH style, and have prooven time and time again to be fare more effective against any opposition in recent times.

You guys are clueless.

If England beat SA, then they have a good chance - but they need the Italian Cnut + an on-form Jonny at 10 + a couple of meatheads in the centre, instead of the break-making ponces that Ashton would prefer.

Geraghty is now out - so can we have him back for Ireland?

After seeing that "Olly Morgan, Fraser Waters, Magnus Lund, Shane Geraghty, Louis Deacon and Andy Hazell" have been dropped
it pains me to see olly Morgan who has been a safe pair of hands and a classic fullback for both Gloucester and England when given the chance, and I’m worried with the fullback choices, as BA seems to not see lewsey as a fullback, and Robinson as a winger only,
Which leaves Cipriani and Abendanon both very inexperienced at international level which could be worrying with the likes of Habana running at them.
Not worried about Louis deacon and hazell, deacons performed ok and that’s it, and Tom Rees is a far better player then hazell, would have liked to have seen Lund on the bench due to his versatility.
Fraser waters frankly wasn’t even in my training squad as we have enough good centres with promise without playing certain crash players.
Shame about geraghty would have loved to see him play a bit of time instead of Charlie "incapable for England" hodgson.

Current back line for me is

9-perry/Richards
10-wilko/flood
11-Strettle
12-hipkiss/Barkley
13-Tait/Tindal
14-Robinson/sackey
15-Lewsey/Cipriani

Gerathy would be my first choice, but he doesn't play for one of the holy trinity of clubs so will always be overlooked. As for Barkley... No. Just, No.

Cipriani is a name that constantyly frustrates me being overlooked all the time. [/b]
still watching me?

why on earth would johnny play 12 i thought that died with the last lions tour. whos at 12 currently.

Geraghty is the only one of the 6 who have been cut so far that I'm disappointed about. Inexperienced, true, but he has the ability to scare the best defenses on the planet with his pace.

All the others aren't really that much of a loss. Especially Hazell. Who I hate.

Latest posts