• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 47 dream (on) team!

Can't agree with Kevin Yates. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I'd replace him with Matt Stevens - who has proven himself a top-class prop.

My version:
1. Matt Stevens (Bath)
2. Mark Regan (Leeds)
3. Phil Vickery (Wasps)

4. Steve Borthwick (Bath)
5. Ben Kay

6. Lewis Moody (both Tiggers)
7. Tom Rees (Waps)
8. A fit Dan Ward-Smith (Sadly Dayglo otherwise) (Bristol/(Wasps))

9. Peter Richards (London Irish)
10. Jonny Wilkinson (Newcastle)
11. David Strettle (Quins)
12. Mike Catt/Olly Barkley (Irish/Bath) - games probably to close together for Catty
13. Hipkiss (Tiggers)
14. Jason Robinson (Sale)
15. Cueto (Sale)

But I guess it doesn't matter whos picked. I'm resigned to us losing the world cup this year. I'd be overjoyed if we won but I don't see it happening.

I cannot agree with Lewis Moody playing. Unless he can prove that he can stay on the pitch for a full 80 minutes without being sin binned then, fine, he can play but past experience proves that he has a serious discipline problem.

Also, while Barkley has made big strides as an integral part of the England Saxons (the long and fast pass to Tom Croft for the Churchill Cup winning try was sublime for example) but I just feel that when Catty is on, anything could happen. A good compromise would be to have Barkley on the subs bench as a good utility player.

Ah, now, Geraghty has been sent back home. So now you have the first three.

Now, after viewing the 40 man squad I'd pick the following 15:
(Note this will be from the 40 men in the England World Cup squad)

1. K Yates
2. M Regan
3. P Vickery
4. M Corry
5. B Kay
6. N Easter
7. T Rees
8. D Ward-Smith
9. S Perry
10. T Flood
11. J Robinson
12. M Catt
13. M Tait
14. D Strettle
15. D Cipriani

This I feel is the best balance of youth and experience that is possible under the present annoying squad presented to me.
[/b]

i like that team a lot as it includes a good amount of youth and experience
however mine would be

1. A Sheridan(if fit otherwise stevens)
2. M Regan
3. P Vickery
4. S Shaw
5. T Palmer (palmer and shaw have been very good for wasps this season, they offer shaws strength and palmers lineouts)
6. L Moody (im just a fan, he's just the thing you want to try and get to the opposition chasing every kick like a maniac, defence is very good)
7. T Rees
8. D Ward-Smith
9. S Perry
10. T Flood(would probaly choose wilko over flood due to experience and hoping wilko will find his feet again)
11. J Robinson
12. D Hipkiss/T Flood (flood and wilko Combination would be nice but Dan hipkiss has been very good for leicester so would like to give him a try)
13. M Tait
14. D Strettle
15. J Lewsey (BA doesnt seem to think lewseys a full back anymore even though his defence is top notch even if the kicking game isnt, would have picked olly morgan first but he's been dropped :ranting:)

and also substitute Regan plays for Bristol :p

I think whoever one picks for full back, we'll be resigned to seeing wayward kicking straight down the throat of whichever elusive opposition speedster just happens to be hanging back (i.e. Habana for example).

i'd probably pick wilko at 10 i think flood will either a.) excell at the rwc or b.) fold like a lawn chair

Sadly, all we have to go on are essentially two halves with Flood. The 2nd half against Argentina and the first half against France.

In the first half, Flood was pretty mediocre while in the other half he played against France he was very good.

Latest posts