• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Bloodyslow the "epitomy" of Rugby!

/rephrases

"Best union game ever"
<

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Jul 18 2004, 11:19 AM
A feeling beyond belief to see your team crowned World Champions.
And its happened three times in my life time
<

Originally posted by umosay@Jul 18 2004, 11:14 AM
I can't remember a SoO game eclipsing the 2000 game where 110,000 turned up and lomu scored in the last min to win.

best game ever
But often even club games can be better than high profile matches. Depends on the quality of rugby being played.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 19 2004, 09:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 19 2004, 09:05 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St_Helens_RLFC
@Jul 18 2004, 11:19 AM
<
[/b]
None of which I expect you'll remember...

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jul 18 2004, 11:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jul 18 2004, 11:12 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jul 19 2004, 09:05 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-St_Helens_RLFC
@Jul 18 2004, 11:19 AM

<
None of which I expect you'll remember... [/b]
I remember 1, and Vaguely remember another, I also remember that Loss at Central Park to Brisbane.

WCC is a joke. The Aussie teams go over there for a **** up and a free holiday. It is only ever played over there because they are the only people that give a toss about it.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jul 18 2004, 10:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jul 18 2004, 10:19 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Jul 18 2004, 10:14 PM

best game ever
A question of personal taste, in my opinion.

My own personal favourite game was in January 2001, when my beloved Saints beat Brisbane Broncos 20-18 in the World Club Challenge to become the best team in the world. A feeling beyond belief to see your team crowned World Champions. [/b]
Its preety sad thing for a sport when the ***le of ''World Champions'' is handed too a club instead of a nation

Not really. That's St Helens point of view they were clearly World Club Champions.

[

My own personal favourite game was in January 2001, when my beloved Saints beat Brisbane Broncos 20-18 in the World Club Challenge to become the best team in the world. A feeling beyond belief to see your team crowned World Champions.
A bit unfair to call them World Champions against an Aussie team playing in the off season in a one off game. Need to have a few other teams playing a few other mathches like soccers champions league or something.

[

My own personal favourite game was in January 2001, when my beloved Saints beat Brisbane Broncos 20-18 in the World Club Challenge to become the best team in the world. A feeling beyond belief to see your team crowned World Champions.
A bit unfair to call them World Champions against an Aussie team playing in the off season in a one off game. Need to have a few other teams playing a few other mathches like soccers champions league or something.
It was also the Super League off season, we play in Summer.

Originally posted by Dragon Fanatic@Jul 19 2004, 03:17 AM
It is only ever played over there because they are the only people that give a toss about it.
The biggest WCC crowd was in Australia.

I knew people would try and take the glory from Saints.

Off season or not (and it was for both teams) a very, very talented Brisbane team were beaten, even though they were playing at full pelt. No matter what you say, that Saints team was the best in the world.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Jul 19 2004, 03:47 PM
Off season or not (and it was for both teams) a very, very talented Brisbane team were beaten, even though they were playing at full pelt.
Not as good as their 1994 team
<

rugby players handled those conditions better then a league player could....they would proberly drop 5x as more

The Greatest game of League i remember was the Grand Final Dragons V Storm. Think it was 1999. The only time ive backed a league team throughout the year and they actually won. Also all my friends were like St George will kick arse. Oh yeah and a penalty try in the last minutes won it. Fantastic game.
Greatest union game was Australia V South Africa in the SA leg where SA won 33-31 in i think 2002. SA went up 26-7 with about 20 or so mins remaining. Aus came back to be winning 31-26 scorig a try with a minute to go. Then SA reclaims kickoff and plays a few phases up to the 30 metre line or so. Then Greef runs an amazing angle off a flat ball from Comradie to go through a gap near the ruck and score and then kick the conversion to win it.

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Jul 21 2004, 05:10 AM
rugby players handled those conditions better then a league player could....they would proberly drop 5x as more
Well there are plenty more dropped balls in Union in dry conditions than League in Dry conditions so I would doubt it.

I have to agree there - there is a lot more scruffiness in union with regards to knock ons. I don't think anyone could drop it more in the wet - both teams drop the ball, some more than others, and that applies to either code. For example, in a recent game at Wakefield, in which it bombed it down with rain from start to finish, Wakefield made 5 knock ons whereas Saints made 11.

Different teams will have different ball handling skills (though Saints should be better than Wakefield!!!) and that applies to both codes.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Jul 21 2004, 05:29 PM
I have to agree there - there is a lot more scruffiness in union with regards to knock ons. I don't think anyone could drop it more in the wet - both teams drop the ball, some more than others, and that applies to either code. For example, in a recent game at Wakefield, in which it bombed it down with rain from start to finish, Wakefield made 5 knock ons whereas Saints made 11.

Different teams will have different ball handling skills (though Saints should be better than Wakefield!!!) and that applies to both codes.
You have'nt been able to keep hold of the ball since Tommy Martyn left.

True, although Hooper has steadied things down much more this season. Martyn is a once a generation player, sadly.

Latest posts