• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The decline of the Pacific islands' teams.

Superalexmarket

Bench Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Duendes
Considering the results of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa in the WC. Can we say that there was a decrease in the level of play of these teams?

I can see where you're coming from, I think Fiji were pretty good and would have had a good chance of getting through most of the other pools but the rest were poor.

I don't think they actually declined that much... Fiji is definitely better than 4 years ago. Tonga didn't play that bad, they just lost a 50/50 match vs Georgia and were ok against both ABs and Argentina despite the final scores. Samoa... well, I think their real level is what we saw in the last match and not what happened before that.

I don't think the Pacific Islanders have lost a step so much as the teams below them have gotten better.

In the past two years

Tonga has lost to Romania, Canada and Georgia
Samoa has lost to Georgia, Japan twice, and only just squeezed by Canada twice
Fiji has lost to Canada

If you watch the PNC you'll note that it's probably the tournament with the most parity in World Rugby. Fiji have clearly been the best team over the three years it's run but all the games have been very close. I'd like to see it continue because it's a good tournament with all the teams playing attacking rugby, but I doubt the long term viability of the tournament.

I agree Tony, they are about the level they have always been. They've got some real quality players but lack the coaching and money to really push in to the elite.

Bloody hell CR, I agree with you too! PAIX!!

It's a cyclic thing. The populations of the Pacific nations is so small that the standard of the side is very dependent on the talent of a couple of generations of players. They don't have a great crop of players at the moment, but that's not to say that they wont next time out.

Fiji are probably the best I have ever seen an Island team, they were just horribly unlucky with the draw. Switch Samoa (who were disappointing) with Fiji, and Pool D would have been an absolute stormer

It's a cyclic thing. The populations of the Pacific nations is so small that the standard of the side is very dependent on the talent of a couple of generations of players. They don't have a great crop of players at the moment, but that's not to say that they wont next time out.

THIS^^^

And just to put that into some perspective

Fiji has a similar population to Leeds (or Mendoza for the OP)
Samoa has a similar population to Peterborough (or San Luis)
Tonga has a similar population to Crawley (or San Justo)

THIS^^^

And just to put that into some perspective

Fiji has a similar population to Leeds (or Mendoza for the OP)
Samoa has a similar population to Peterborough (or San Luis)
Tonga has a similar population to Crawley (or San Justo)

yeah but the populations of the islands are not the only populations of islanders.

like there are more Samoans living in Auckland than samoa, auckland produces players for samoa.

I was actually thinking about how disappointing the island teams have been at this WC, they haven't really threatened he top tier teams and they are dropping games to nations like Japan and Georgia.

Last edited: