• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The EDF Energy Cup is upon us!

So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense.

So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense. [/b]

Well certainly a full strength Sale pack would have forced the Cardiff backrow into doing some more of the hard yards instead of them being out wide, playing with the backs.

So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense. [/b]

Is it gaining momentum? Survey says....no.

I could also say "if Sale had their best team out..." but sadly due to injuries and other factors (such as resting players by not playing them in the EDF), the only way Sale can play Blues with a strong team is if they met in the HEC.

They can't be consistently that poor.
I mean, for the Saints to have gone down last season Worcester must have put up a few good performances.
I saw saints beat Leicester last season and it was an absolute cracker...how did this relegation happen if the warriors are that bad?
I'm not criticising, or stirring **** here, i'm just curious as to how this all came about for your boys, Webby.
[/b]

Seriously, I watched a fair few Warriors games live last year and they were for the most part abysmal, struggling against even Italian side Viadana.

When the mightly ***ans of recent failure (Worcester, Saracens & Northampton) met at Sixways it was a kind of embarrasing sight to see. It was like the special needs rugby teams of London, the West Country and the Midlands meeting up for some fun and flailing of arms. Seriously...those days were dark man. English Rugby needs Worcester and Northampton to get back to their best.

<div class='quotemain'> So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

All depends on what survey you're referring to i suppose...

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

All depends on what survey you're referring to i suppose...
[/b][/quote]

The correct survey..

the guinness premiership promotion relegation system right now is an absolute joke.

you send one team down they destroy everyone and then they come right back up and you repeat that forever..

if club rugby really wanted to be sorted over there you'd drop 1 team one year and promote 2 the next and there you go problem solved.

the guinness premiership promotion relegation system right now is an absolute joke.

you send one team down they destroy everyone and then they come right back up and you repeat that forever..

if club rugby really wanted to be sorted over there you'd drop 1 team one year and promote 2 the next and there you go problem solved. [/b]

Are you Rob Andrew in disguise?

1 - Promoting more teams than you relegate throws the whole league structure into chaos.

2 - Teams like Worcester and Leeds have not been around the top flight for that long. Ugly as their styles are, had you thrown them into the GP too early they would have crashed and burned.

3 - If you knew anything about National League 1, you'd know that teams such as Doncaster, Exeter and Cornish Pirates have been steadily building a head of steam for a number of years now. As such, it won't be long (mabye no longer than next season in fact) before the relegated team does not simply walk away with the league.

Please don't make sweeping statements about something unless you have really focussed on it and know exactly what you're talking about.

We're only creaming the rest of the league this year because we are one of the most financially profitable clubs in England and have been able to keep a lot of internationals on our books. Had our squad from last year dispersed, you wouldn't be seeing the same situation.

<div class='quotemain'> the guinness premiership promotion relegation system right now is an absolute joke.

if club rugby really wanted to be sorted over there you'd drop 1 team one year and promote 2 the next and there you go problem solved. [/b]

Are you Rob Andrew in disguise?

1 - Promoting more teams than you relegate throws the whole league structure into chaos.

2 - Teams like Worcester and Leeds have not been around the top flight for that long. Ugly as their styles are, had you thrown them into the GP too early they would have crashed and burned.

3 - If you knew anything about National League 1, you'd know that teams such as Doncaster, Exeter and Cornish Pirates have been steadily building a head of steam for a number of years now. As such, it won't be long (mabye no longer than next season in fact) before the relegated team does not simply walk away with the league.

Please don't make sweeping statements about something unless you have really focussed on it and know exactly what you're talking about.

We're only creaming the rest of the league this year because we are one of the most financially profitable clubs in England and have been able to keep a lot of internationals on our books. Had our squad from last year dispersed, you wouldn't be seeing the same situation.

[/b][/quote]

1. No it wouldnt, throwing 1 down this season and bringing up the top 2 the next year and then promoting and relegating 2 and 2 each year after that would solve your problem. Add 1 week to the season and there you go, youve got a decent promotion relegation system where a team other than a GP team can actually get promoted.

2. Sure they may have crashed and burned, but think about what it would do for them.. Think of the sheer amount of money a club like that would make and what they could do with that money, and the fan support they could even build up. Sure they might suck but look at what playing better teams have done for the likes of Canada, they tour europe get the **** beat out of them every year. But you better believe they are getting better.

3. Of course they simply wont walk away with it, theyll maybe lose 1 game and still get promoted. Northampton are undefeated right now, last year Leeds whooped pretty much everyone, it really wasnt close at all. You are already essentially up 6 points already on Doncaster (game in hand)

You decide what helps a team more, finishing second or third in the national 1 every year, or actually having a chance to play in the GP and improve against the better teams?

Either way they need a FA Cup like tournament instead of the EDF a tournament where any team can participate. That would develop club rugby as well.

Either way they need a FA Cup like tournament instead of the EDF a tournament where any team can participate. That would develop club rugby as well.
[/b]

This quote shows me that you have not researched English club rugby well enough yet to talk about it in depth.

Go back 3 or 4 seasons and we had a competition exactly like this!

The EDFCBGJJOOHG Cup simply replaced it once the RFU heard the sweet sound of money approaching. Bit of background research and you would already have known this.

Just to clear up some other points: 1 more team in the league would require 2 more weeks to be added to the season. Where exactly would you plan on placing these in the already overcrowded schedule? One season's worth of cash also means squat if you can't build a squad good to enough to compete at the top level in the long term. And as for Leeds running away with the league - they really didn't. It wasn't until late in the season that they opened up any sort of gap. Doncaster and Rotherham were up their arse most of the way.

DC your ideas for the league are half-baked at best, I disagree with pretty much everything you said - you obviously aren't familiar with ND1 rugby at all.

Good win for Bris today though. B)

DC your ideas for the league are half-baked at best, I disagree with pretty much everything you said - you obviously aren't familiar with ND1 rugby at all.

Good win for Bris today though. B) [/b]

Yeh, Llanelli's set-piece was terrible, but we looked slightly better with our replacements on and a losing bonus point still puts us in the running with two guaranteed bonus point wins with Saracens and Leeds at Stradey Park. :rolleyes:

I saw saints beat Leicester last season and it was an absolute cracker...how did this relegation happen if the warriors are that bad?[/b]

Worcester didn't waste Shane Drahm's talent at fullback last year.

<div class='quotemain'> DC your ideas for the league are half-baked at best, I disagree with pretty much everything you said - you obviously aren't familiar with ND1 rugby at all.

Good win for Bris today though. B) [/b]

Yeh, Llanelli's set-piece was terrible, but we looked slightly better with our replacements on and a losing bonus point still puts us in the running with two guaranteed bonus point wins with Saracens and Leeds at Stradey Park. :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

Yup, was disappointed that we let that last minute try in (though it was deserved), Leeds will be a pushover (sorry to the fans), we demolished them last week with their strongest side out - methinks it'll be a long season for them and Wuss. Sarries could be interesting depending on what side they put out, we'll have to wait and see.

Thought the ref was crap today - should have been a card the other way in the first half too for repeat offences in and around the scrum.

So hands up who hates Justin Marshall.

I really wish this guy wasn't at the Ospreys. I would have rather kept Spice than have to have that idiot who - for some reason - doens't actually spend the game at scrum half.

Thats the "magic" of Justin Marshall.

Bit of a handy tip to the Hairsprays coach, if you see that there is an All Blacks greats testimonial match, hide Justin's passport.

I like Justin Marshall, he adds experience & gives the Ospreys that extra strength in their squad. Marshall & Phillips are two different styles of players & where Lyn Jones keeps swapping who starts & who comes on keeps the competitiveness strong.

If the Ospreys do well in the HC this year, this will be one of their main weapons.

As for Jason Spice, he is a basic scrum half, he plays well, but never seems to create much. Spice is a decent 2nd choice scrumhalf, but not a 1st choice scrum half.

Latest posts