• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The EDF Energy Cup is upon us!

No surprise in the Leeds game but Sale doing a number on Bath will dampen their spirits.

Cardiff mangled by Leicester today (some awful refereeing and even worse commentary on the BBC), should make for an interesting group.

Cardiff were absolutely shocking - deserved the hammering.

The Dragons just lost to Newcastle 29-24 i believe.
Does anyone know anything about that game? Sounds like it was quite close and might have been a good one.

Newcastle Falcons 29 Newport Gwent Dragons 24
Newcastle Falcons marched one step closer to the semi-finals of the EDF Energy Cup at Kingston Park on Saturday, with a bonus point victory over Welsh side Newport Gwent Dragons.
Scoring four tries in a match full of incident, there was drama right until the final whistle as a never-say-die Dragons side pushed the hosts all the way.

But in the end a gutsy Falcons side held out, meaning that victory in their final pool match at Wasps would all but book their place in the final four of the competition.

Sporting their blue, red, white and green kit in aid of the Wooden Spoon Society, the Falcons welcomed back World Cup hero Mathew Tait to first team action, with the 21-year-old centre combining with John Rudd for an early foray down the left wing after Newport fly half Aled Thomas had missed with his first penalty attempt on eight minutes.

The deadlock was broken moments later as home fly half Toby Flood stroked over a penalty from 30 metres after hands in the ruck, before the first try finally arrived midway through the opening half.

When it came it was a well-crafted score, Tait’s drifting run and inside pass to Flood freeing captain Joe McDonnell to bash a hole in the fringe defence before popping off the ground to Flood, whose flip pass fed in Jones for a jinking score.

Flood added the extras from in front of the posts, and it got better for the Falcons when their Welsh opponents were reduced to 14 men with the sin-binning of flanker Joe Bearman for killing the ball on the floor.

From the resulting line out Newcastle grabbed their second try as Kiwi openside Brent Wilson piled over the line from a well organised and powerful rolling maul â€" the point of attack shifting effectively to free up Wilson for his barrelling finish.

Flood’s touchline conversion sailed through for a 17-0 lead, and it seemed there was no way back for Newport on the half hour when lock Andrew Hall joined Bearman in the sin bin for yet more skulduggery at the ruck.

But not only did the 13 men fight gamely to stop the Newcastle rolling maul, they poached a shock try as scrum half Lee Dickson’s attempted offload was picked off by fullback Martyn Thomas, who sped home despite the attentions of England speedster Mathew Tait behind him.

Aled Thomas converted to narrow the gap to ten at the interval, but the Falcons came flying out of the blocks for the second half as Ollie Phillips grabbed their third try of the night as he gathered a Toby Flood cross kick in the right corner to dive over.

Still though the Dragons, captained by ex-Falcons skipper Colin Charvis, would not lie down, and they grabbed a lifeline ten minutes in to the half as prop Rhys Thomas emerged from under a heap of bodies with the ball over the Newcastle line to again rein the gap to ten.

A back spasm saw Flood leave the field as an all-Tait centre pairing took shape for the first time with Alex joining brother Mathew from the bench, but despite an early big smash tackle from the England Under-19s star he was soon back under his own posts as Dragons scrum half Andy Williams spun over the line for their third try.

Thomas’s conversion took the scores to 22-19 as the Falcons just kept their noses in front â€" Steve Jones nearly breaking the line with a nice show-and-go while Geoff Parling’s rampaging run down the right threatened to produce a bonus point score.

Newcastle’s cause was done no favours with the second-half sin-binning of Mathew Tait for killing the ball as a tense finale ensued, but on the back of good forward pressure there was not too long to wait for the fourth try.

From line out ball on the 22 the hosts set up the rolling maul, before fly half Jones produced a sublime pop pass for bullocking winger John Rudd on the crash ball. The former Northampton man bulldozed his way through the first tackler, sprinting 20 metres before being hauled down by the last man. Undeterred, Rudd rose to his feet to fall over the line, sparking jubilant scenes in front of a packed South Terrace.

Jones’ conversion looked to have sealed the deal at 29-19, but there was still time for high drama as Dragons prop Rhys Thomas grabbed a second try straight from the restart as persistent pick-and-go work paid off.

With the seconds ebbing away the Falcons pack looked to be running the clock down, before firing a pass back to Jones who spilled the ball on his own line, frantically hacking clear as the onrushing attackers beared down on the loose ball.

Thankfully some semblance of control was restored as a game defensive effort in the last minute forced the Dragons to knock-on out wide, as the Falcons took a major step towards the semi-finals.

Newcastle Falcons:

Tries: Jones, B Wilson, Phillips, Rudd
Cons: Flood 2, Jones
Pens: Flood

Newport Gwent Dragons:

Tries: Rhys Thomas 2, Martyn Thomas, Williams
Cons: Aled Thomas 2[/b]

Sounded like a good game, I didn't realise it was on S4C otherwise I would have watched/recorded it - wish there was a website/listing where I could find all the rugby that's shown on Sky... I only recently found out that Eurosport shows the French leagues.
:wall:

That sounds like it would have been a good game. Will have to catch the highlights on ScrumV tonight.

But all that aside, a few hours to go until my Ospreys put one over the London Irish.
Wooh!

Who is the referee in this Ospreys vs London Irish match?
He is one of the worst i've ever seen - he doesn't like calling penalty against L.I. but he's more than happy to pick up on "penalties" that Ospreys seem to be commiting.

2 great tries by the Ospreys though, although making some very silly mistakes conceding penalties they are looking much stronger throughout.
London Irish are lucky to have 16 points at the end of the first half.

Half time: Ospreys 20 - 16 London Irish

Wasps 29 - 26 Gloucester

18 point comeback by Wasps, looks like the Internationals have made an impact already.

tigers looked much better with their world cup players back. ospreys ran away with this 2nd half and have been great to watch at times. Hensons hairs awful!

henson is f***ing lush mate... jealous?

good win for our boys sets us up nicely now for the hc!!

shane williams is scoring for fun recently... good to see.

The referee continued to show how inept he was during the second half as well.
We demolish London Irish in the scrum - we come out the victims. London Irish get isolated and hold on - nothing. We get isolated and hold on - instant penalty. London Irish come in straight off their feet - nothing. We do the same Jon Thomas gets threatened with a yellow card.
Bullshit.
But then we began to play. We played perfect rugby. We played open, expansive, beautiful rugby and the Irish just didn't stand a chance.
Shane got himself a hatrick, Hook continually tore the field apart, Tiatia was immense throughout. Henson was exemplary in his defence, didn't step a foot wrong once again.
Hook does another crossfield kick leading to yet another try.
Tiatia and Phillips team together to do the same try that they did last week where Filo takes the ball in the lineout and drops it to Phillips who runs straight through the middle of the line out.

As many silly errors as we made we made up for it with brilliant rugby the rest of the time.
It was one of our most complete performances i've seen in a long time.
Forwards dominated - backs dominated.
Everything looked like it was going to lead to a try in the second half...hence the reason we ended up scoring 5 tries in the 2nd 40mins.

A 7 try bonanza and 5 well earned points.
What an absolute storming game.

Full Time: Ospreys 51 -16 London Irish

henson is f***ing lush mate... jealous?

good win for our boys sets us up nicely now for the hc!!

shane williams is scoring for fun recently... good to see.
[/b]
His hairs so greasy he could be French :p you do look a seriously strong outfit this year, I'm still backing tigers for everything as I do every year though!

Missed all but the O's game this weekend, was setting fire to rockets. Ospreys showed why I think they will be crowned kings of europe this year. They have quality from 1-15, and with creators like Hook and finishers like Shane, gonna take a good team to beat them (granted there are a few).

If Bishop hadn't messed up a few times, there would have been another 2 or 3 tries, sure he'll get it right next week if he plays.

Missed all but the O's game this weekend, was setting fire to rockets. Ospreys showed why I think they will be crowned kings of europe this year. They have quality from 1-15, and with creators like Hook and finishers like Shane, gonna take a good team to beat them (granted there are a few).

If Bishop hadn't messed up a few times, there would have been another 2 or 3 tries, sure he'll get it right next week if he plays. [/b]

They look good, and certainly have a talented squad, but i couldn't tip them to win Europe untill they come up against a side with a top pack and a top defence playing at a higher intensity. If they win a big test and show some real character then maybe....... but i think the french sides and Leicester will have too much up front for them.

The things that makes me unsure of the Ospreys conquering Europe yet are twofold:

1 - the front 5. They have some undoubted quality in the lock positions, so the receiving end of the lineout shouldn't, in theory, see too many problems. However, to my knowledge they don't seem to possess a hooker at the top of his game. This could be a problem. On top of this, lame though they are, the Worcester scrum had the Ospreys pack on the backfoot almost the entire match. Teams like Leicester, Stade Francais etc, could absolutely wreck the Ospreys set-piece.

2 - although they play some lovely rugby when they get the ball in space, do the Ospreys have the ability to grind out the tough wins when necessary? Again this comes back to what I perceive as weakness amongst the front five (more the front row than anything). Opponents like Leicester, Wasps and Munster are able to do the nitty-gritty when it matters. Are the Ospreys yet? I'm not sure.

Actually, I've thought of something else. Amongst the backs I see the possibity of temprement standing in the way of reaching potential (Marshall, Henson, Byrne). And they don't have a decent 13.

Basically, I can quite easily see the Ospreys doing a New Zealand in the European Cup - they'll play lovely rugby against teams they are expected to beat, but they might come unstuck when someone doesn't let them have their own way.

All went a bit pete tong for Bris against Sarries - though it was far from our best side and we are focusing on the Heineken Cup rather than this. Still it's disappointing and according to match reviewers both sides looked like they weren't taking the competition seriously, which isn't good really.

Webby, you've made many very good points there.
Ospreys are a young franchise and have not had to pull together very often to get those necesary wins. We haven't had the experience of how to close a big game - even if we do have the potential.

I'm not happy with our front row. I never have been. Granted we've got great receivers in the lineout but Huw Bennet is **** at throwing the ball in so there's no point of those boys being there when we've only got a success ratio of 75%.
And yes, we were under the kosh for the entrie game against Worcester.

However, i ask you not to underestimate Bishop. As long as Parker isn't playing, then we've got a centre who is very strong and a solid defender and very rarely does a match go by where he doesn't cause the other team trouble. The only problem is he hardly ever gets a chance to prove himself against the other bigboys because Lyn "The Dumbass" Jones always choses Sonny Boy!

But yes, ultimately, we shall not be considered worthy until we actually clout a heavyweight and prove ourselves as one first. Otherwise we're gonna be QF's at best and no one will acknowledge the danger we possess...at least not until next time around.

And i'm sick of saying, "There's always next time."

And i'm sick of saying, "There's always next time." [/b]

You're sick of it, I think there's a phrase that every kiwi is sick of "four more years".

Now did you say Filo Tiatia plays for the Ospreys? Jesus, if so you really weren't kidding about the Ospreys buying all your childhood All Blacks...

I've got a question though regarding Leicester, they played a fairly expansive game against Cardiff, was that an aberation and the fact they were playing against a poor defensive outfit, or do they truely try to put points on the board and play some nice rugby?

It's all lies. They're an English side, all they dare do is boot the ball high in the air and take the three points.

How dare you imply any of our glorious boring sides considered attempting any of this so-called "nice rugby"?! What sort of ideas do you want to be putting about?!?!?!?!?!?!

Now did you say Filo Tiatia plays for the Ospreys? Jesus, if so you really weren't kidding about the Ospreys buying all your childhood All Blacks...

I've got a question though regarding Leicester, they played a fairly expansive game against Cardiff, was that an aberation and the fact they were playing against a poor defensive outfit, or do they truely try to put points on the board and play some nice rugby?

[/b]

Yup, Filo plays for us now. Hell, he's our captain and consistently one of the best players on the team!
As i said, all your childhood All Blacks are here!
(I don't know whether to laugh or cry)

And yes, Leicester went out and played some nice rugby against a noone-too-shabby Cardiff team.

I'd be happy to have Tiatia with the Scarlets if you (RC) had any power with the Ospreys to release him. :p He's had so many MotM awards recently it's hard to keep count! :eek:

<div class='quotemain'> Now did you say Filo Tiatia plays for the Ospreys? Jesus, if so you really weren't kidding about the Ospreys buying all your childhood All Blacks...

[/b]

Yup, Filo plays for us now. Hell, he's our captain and consistently one of the best players on the team!
As i said, all your childhood All Blacks are here!
(I don't know whether to laugh or cry)

And yes, Leicester went out and played some nice rugby against a noone-too-shabby Cardiff team.
[/b][/quote]

tigers playing nice rugby? I agree, but most others might want to keep quiet or risk being branded heretics.

Seriously though, with players like Murphy, Murphy, Rabeni, Varndell, Hipkiss and Tuilagi there's always the risk that the backs might do something good.

Latest posts