• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The EDF Energy Cup is upon us!

In Varndells case, it's not a serious risk.

In fact, it's such a minor risk, I would rule it out of the equation completely. :bleh!:

:lol: I can see fcukernaut reeling from the realisation that English sides actually play rugby and not 15-man mauls...

:lol: I can see fcukernaut reeling from the realisation that English sides actually play rugby and not 15-man mauls... [/b]

I'm not an idiot, I do realize there will be clubs who can and do play running rugby. Especially with the diversity of the types of players in the European leagues, there are bound to be a clash of styles. I don't know enough about Euro leagues to comment on it and without Super rugby for another 2 months I'm looking for a team to adopt to make the games more interesting. And so my question still needs to be answered, do the Leicester consistently unleash their backs or do they stick with the boot of their trailer park first-five (loving the handlebar on Goode, fantastic)? I suppose a follow up question would be who else in the GP or ML utilize their backs consistently? And which teams I need to avoid if I don't want to watch a ten man game?

Don't watch Worcester. Arguably the most exciting team in the Guinness Premiership over the last couple of seasons has been Gloucester.

As Webby says, Gloucester are generally the best all round sde at the moment in the whole hemisphere. A good mix of power forwards and slippery wiesels in the backs.

This season, Bath are proberbly playing the best running rugby (although remember this is northern style running, no set moves featuring 37 passes and 16 offloads to gain 25m, we're talking 2 passes and 90m gains here).

Leicester are generally an up-yer-jumper side, but Hipkiss and Tuilagi can be worth the entrance fee alone.

Saracens are, um, Saracens. Very exciting, in a dull sort of way.

Worcester are crap.

Leeds are a rugby league side. Not that they are particularly skillful, more so that nobody turns up at the breakdown to contest the ruck so they get turned over. A lot.

Sale will come good when St. Andre stops having a hissy fit over not getting the France job or if Mallender doesn't poach all their players to Northampton.

Irish are a bit poo this year. Pitty really as they were immense at the end of last season.

The Bristol XV have a combind age of 1500 years.

Wasps - everybody hates them.

Newcastle - Don't bother.

Quins - A bit posh for my taste.

Ospreys - try to use forwards. Fail. Utilise backs where Marhsll f***s about with the ball until someone kicks him up the arse and the QUALITY players get hold of it, throw the ball around wildly hoping to get it out to shane and pray he can tear the field apart once again.

Cardiff - Use forwards and backs equally - backs are ageing fools tho and so their two centres (both no.13's playing with different numbers on their backs) run striaght ...everytime.

Dragons - Use back row forwards as backs - then give it to the wingers who proceed to run the ball into touch.

Scarlets - Utilise backs - try to act all tactical because they've got peel and jones, but they just end up panicing and giving it to Mark Jones on the wing and hope his speed can get them passed the gain line.

To be fair, the Scarlets actually just give the ball to Regan King when in doubt.

I'm not an idiot, I do realize there will be clubs who can and do play running rugby.[/b]

:p I think you take me too seriously, other sides you might consider:

Northampton: underachievers and even worse than Worcester which resulted in them getting ejected from the Prem last season (despite having magicians and superstars like Carlos Spencer).

Cornish Pirates: up and coming club who will be in competition for the Prem in a few seasons time - play quite attractive rugby.

Exeter Chiefs: similar to above except been around the park for much longer.

Forgot to mention whatever you do don't decide to follow Barf - more disliked than the pests. :ph34r:

Northampton: underachievers and even worse than Worcester which resulted in them getting ejected from the Prem last season (despite having magicians and superstars like Carlos Spencer).[/b]
Having watched both this year, I'd say Saints are better then Leeds and Worcester this year. And Quins.

Wooo! 9th best!!! :bana: :bana: :bana:

In Varndells case, it's not a serious risk.

In fact, it's such a minor risk, I would rule it out of the equation completely. :bleh!:
[/b]
Don't let Austin Healey here you saying that. He thinks he's the Brian habana of English rugby :blink: He's quite exciting either way but lets face it, he's not going to become anywhere near Habana for few years, or centuries.

I'd say the Saints are probably better than Leeds and Wuss at the moment too - not sure about Quins though.

They've got a win over Quins this season. So by rule of averages, Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("rinkadink")</div>
:p I think you take me too seriously, other sides you might consider[/b]

I thought it came off too harsh, because that wasn't my intention. Damn the internet and my poor attempts to articulate my self. :D

As for your National League One reports, thank you but I have no real use for them though as I'm stranded in the middle of barren rugby wasteland. If it weren't for Setanta Broadband and Media zone I'd be completely rugby free barring Total Rugby on Sunday mornings. Yet I do find it highly disturbing that you think of Carlos Spencer as a "superstar", he is just a product of media hype and not for his true footballing talents. He is one of the most error prone players I have ever witnessed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("leicester fox")</div>
Don't let Austin Healey here you saying that. He thinks he's the Brian habana of English rugby :blink: He's quite exciting either way but lets face it, he's not going to become anywhere near Habana for few years, or centuries.[/b]

I don't know about Bryan Habana but that sidestep he put on the weekend was a thing of beauty.

One of our Bris wingers, Lee Robinson makes mincemeat of Varndell every time he plays - also put a crunching tackle on him at the start of the season that had him down for a couple of minutes. The thing with Carlos is when he's good there's not many better but when he's busy passing to nobody or being way too speculative he's a liability.

Would I be happy with my club paying his wages considering his performance? No. I'm sure a lot of Saints fans would disagree though...

*Edit*
Thought I'd sneak in a quick video of Lee: Click Here

One of our Bris wingers, Lee Robinson makes mincemeat of Varndell every time he plays - also put a crunching tackle on him at the start of the season that had him down for a couple of minutes. The thing with Carlos is when he's good there's not many better but when he's busy passing to nobody or being way too speculative he's a liability.

Would I be happy with my club paying his wages considering his performance? No. I'm sure a lot of Saints fans would disagree though...

*Edit*
Thought I'd sneak in a quick video of Lee: Click Here [/b]

He didn't make mincemeat of anyone in Saracens this weekend past :lol:

<div class='quotemain'> One of our Bris wingers, Lee Robinson makes mincemeat of Varndell every time he plays - also put a crunching tackle on him at the start of the season that had him down for a couple of minutes. The thing with Carlos is when he's good there's not many better but when he's busy passing to nobody or being way too speculative he's a liability.

*Edit*
Thought I'd sneak in a quick video of Lee: Click Here [/b]

He didn't make mincemeat of anyone in Saracens this weekend past :lol:
[/b][/quote]

He made some good breaks and defence was solid, one of the few Bristol players that turned up! :rahh:

We are really disappointed because it's clear the team weren't interested in the game and would rather be somewhere else (even though it was our 2nd string, we do have some depth now, unlike post-bankruptcy) - the Prem is the most important in some ways but I hope they don't decide the same for the HC.

if the question is who in the GP uses their backs the most in the most exciting way it probably is Glos. Leicester are like most rugby teams. Their backs get unleashed once the forward battle is won and the opposition is on the back foot. Most teams have a back 3 who have enough pace to look good given the opportunity. the difference is who has the fly half and centres capable of creating the space, given that most GP sides go for power and defensive ability first.

The Bristol XV have a combind age of 1500 years[/b]

bit like the national side eh? :rolleyes:

Moderator Prestwick says:

magnersleagueuo9.jpg

Fri, 30th Nov 07, 19:30 GA - Dragons v Gloucester Rugby - Rodney Parade

Fri, 30th Nov 07, 19:40 GB - Bath Rugby v Cardiff Blues - Recreation Ground - BBC Wales

Fri, 30th Nov 07, 19:40 GB - Leicester Tigers v Sale Sharks - Welford Road

Sat, 1st Dec 07, 14:30 GD - Llanelli Scarlets v Saracens - Stradey Park - BBC Network

Sat, 1st Dec 07, 15:00 GA - London Wasps v Newcastle Falcons - Adams Park

Sun, 2nd Dec 07, 15:00 GD - Bristol Rugby v Leeds Carnegie - Memorial Stadium

Sun, 2nd Dec 07, 15:00 GC - London Irish v Worcester Warriors - Madejski Stadium

Sun, 2nd Dec 07, 15:10 GC - Harlequins v Ospreys - The Stoop - BBC Wales

The final round of the EDF Cup will be around in a fortnight. In the meantime, Welsh fans will be watching the Wales v South Africa game (I'll be in the stadium, wuuhuu).
Anybody want to predict winners for the above fixtures? Or shall we all moan about how worthless the competition is, despite the matches being played with some full-strength squads and watched by many spectators?

Latest posts