• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The EDF Energy Cup is upon us!

Can't guess at a lot of the fixtures as some are meaningless with neither side able to progress in the competition (e.g. Bristol v Leeds).

I can see the finalists being Leicester, Wasps, Ospreys and Llanelli. The best chance of another side going through is Saracens. llanelli need to win without conceding a bonus point. Not an easy job, but i think they can do it.

The semi-finalists should be Llanelli, Ospreys, Leicester and Wasps.

Llanelli's chances: Hammered by Leicester in the Euro semi last year, destroyed by Wasps in Stradey Park, beaten in Stradey and had 50 points put on us by the Ospreys last year.

Ospreys chances: Lost to Llanelli at home earlier this year with a weaker pack, lost to Leicester twice to years ago in the Heineken Cup and against them in the final last year, haven't faced the Wasps recently to tell.

Leicester: Guinness Premiership champs and EDF holders. Certain to qualify?

Wasps: European winners last year and are in brilliant form recently. Teh winz?

Anybody know how the pairings for the semi's works? We may see an all-Welsh final if Llanelli beat Saracens and don't face the Ospreys. Our chances are made easier by having the semi's in Cardiff :D

Given Saracens recent performance in Biarritz, Llanelli beating them, scoring 5 tries and winning by 8 points or more may not be too easy. If Saracens hold firm at Stradey, even without a win i think they'll fancy their chances of ending their trophy drought.

I saw highlights of the Biarritz match, while Saracens played well, Biarritz have a tendancy of playing an 'off' game. Think back to Northampton last year, really, after beating Northampton home and away, they should've blown them away in the quarters. But I'm glad they won though, I hate Biarritz :p
I'm not going to say we WILL definately beat them, but I'll say I'm confident ;)

I saw highlights of the Biarritz match, while Saracens played well, Biarritz have a tendancy of playing an 'off' game. Think back to Northampton last year, really, after beating Northampton home and away, they should've blown them away in the quarters. But I'm glad they won though, I hate Biarritz :p
I'm not going to say we WILL definately beat them, but I'll say I'm confident ;) [/b]

Will you still be as confident if it's chucking it down with rain/sleet/snow and you need the 4 tries?

If you had phrased the question differently there could have be two logical answers, but when you ask me will I be as confident when the chances of scoring are slimmer, then the only feasible answer is 'no'.
P.S. Is it forecast to be "chucking it down with rain/sleet/snow"?
Also, I am "Cymrurugbyfan", just a different account.

If you had phrased the question differently there could have be two logical answers, but when you ask me will I be as confident when the chances of scoring are slimmer, then the only feasible answer is 'no'.
P.S. Is it forecast to be "chucking it down with rain/sleet/snow"?
Also, I am "Cymrurugbyfan", just a different account. [/b]

I'm split between who i want to win the match. As an Englishman it's always good to see our sides win in Wales, and it's also been good to watch Saracens go away from their previous policy of attempting to buy success and really build a quality team. That said having a 50/50 split English/Welsh in the semi's is great. Assuming Llanelli do get through, i think the competition could be seen as less mickey mouse as there will be the top two welsh sides of recent years and the top two English sides of recent years too.

That said, Phil Davies and Simon Easterby will be popping some heads and busting some jaws if we lose in Stradey Park to Saracens, so for the safety of our very talented players, I hope we win. :(

We don't even need the 4 try bonus point to progress anyway, we'll be level on points then, and the winner of the match between the two teams will go to the semi's. So a win, while denying them a bonus point, will suffice.

That said, Phil Davies and Simon Easterby will be popping some heads and busting some jaws if we lose in Stradey Park to Saracens, so for the safety of our very talented players, I hope we win. :(

We don't even need the 4 try bonus point to progress anyway, we'll be level on points then, and the winner of the match between the two teams will go to the semi's. So a win, while denying them a bonus point, will suffice.

[/b]

My mistake. For some reason i had it in my head that you needed 5 points. I think it could be one of the rounds more interesting matchups. I think regardless of who gets through, the semis will be looking very interesting.

On another mathc: do Falcons have a chance versus Wasps. I hope they win, because we always lose to wasps in knockouts.

Pool A

1 Newcastle Falcons 2 7
2 London Wasps 2 7
3 Gloucester Rugby 2 4
4 Dragons 2 4

Pool B

1 Leicester Tigers 2 6
2 Cardiff Blues 2 5
3 Sale Sharks 2 4
4 Bath Rugby 2 4

Pool C

1 Ospreys 2 10
2 Harlequins 2 5
3 Worcester Warriors 2 4
4 London Irish 2 1

Pool D

1 Saracens 2 10
2 Llanelli Scarlets 2 6
3 Bristol Rugby 2 4
4 Leeds Carnegie 2 1

These are the pools as they stand (Sorry for the bad layout, I copied and pasted it from the EDF Energy Cup Site. The first number after the team names is for how many matches played and the second number for how many points the team has).

Pool A: Looking at the EDF website, Wasps will play the Falcons at home with probably their best side out. So, to be fair, the Falcons will need to play the best game they'll play this season to deny the Wasps a semi-final spot.
Possible Winners: Newcastle and London Wasps.
My Winner: London Wasps

Pool C: The Ospreys need to beat the Harlequins away to hold onto first place in the pool. The Harlequins need to win, deny the O's a bonus point, and get 4 try bonus point themselves to reach the semi's. That would take some effort.
Possible Winners: Ospreys and Harlequins.
My Winner: Ospreys

Pool B: Cardiff play the impressive Bath at the Recreation Ground, Cardiff need to win and hope that Sale beat Leicester at Welford Road to advance. Sale can qualify if they beat Leicester while Cardiff lose to Bath. Bath could also qualify if Sale beat Leicester without a bonus point while they beat Cardiff with 4 tries. Leicester need a win against Sale, just that and they're through. Since Leicester are, well, Leicester, they should be the winners of this pool.
Possible Winners: All of them.
My Winner: Leicester

Pool D: Pool D is quite simple. If Llanelli beat Saracens at Stradey Park while denying them a losing bonus point, they advance. Although, Llanelli would need the 4 try bonus point if the Sarries collect the losing one. If the Saracens, sitting at the top of the table with 10 points, win the game, they'll advance.
Possible Winners: Saracens and Llanelli Scarlets.
My Winner: Llanelli Scarlets.

Congratulations Saracens, with the help of a 16th man (the ref) you are going to win the match. I hope that c**t get's an encounter with a group of Scarlet supporters.

Congratulations Saracens, with the help of a 16th man (the ref) you are going to win the match. I hope that c**t get's an encounter with a group of Scarlet supporters. [/b]

Can't blame the referee for the Llanelli front-row folding time and time again.

Was a great match to watch as a neutral, especially considering how the conditions could potentially have hampered things. Some brilliant handly from both sides.

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing. We're so awful and yet we're in the semi-finals! :lol:

It is even more hilarious when the only decent player of the 2nd half on the Saracens side was Cencus Johnston who seemed to run rings around most of the Scarlet's backs with his amazing running and dazzling kick and chases. Not back for someone who is 17st.

EDIT: In fact this match makes an even bigger mockery of the EDF (paper) Cup when a team as disinterested and crap as Saracens STILL manages to beat a team virtually exploding with talent and passion like Scarlets. Its like one of those WWF wrestling matches where the hero spends 40 minutes kicking the **** out of the bad guy, only for the bad guy to win in the last moment.

I am the bad guy, so I'm going to go lord it now in front of some booing Welsh kids.

Sorry SaintsFan, I think I can blame the referee. The Saracens offended twice at that scrum: Raulini didn't put the ball in straight (and by Moore's reaction, it really wasn't straight, and that they had lost the ball, it was with Llanelli clearly yet the moron decided to give them a penalty try. Completely baffling to be honest.

Not one professional scrum-half ever puts the ball in straight. It's shocking that 99% of the time it doesn't get pulled up, but Peel would have been doing exactly the same all match. The referee got feeding calls wrong for both sides by not giving any.

Sorry SaintsFan, I think I can blame the referee. The Saracens offended twice at that scrum: Raulini didn't put the ball in straight (and by Moore's reaction, it really wasn't straight, and that they had lost the ball, it was with Llanelli clearly yet the moron decided to give them a penalty try. Completely baffling to be honest.

[/b]

It's more difficult to control the ball when the opposition loosehead folds in the scrum. I reckon it was a 50:0 decision. it went against you, but things do tend to when your scrum goes backwards that quickly.

Well, we need to get some decent forwards. Llanelli have some of the best backs in Europe, yet our forwards aren't giving them a good enough platform.
Hopefully after we sell Stradey and after the building of the new stadium we'll have enough money to buy some decent forwards. Deacon Manu? ....

At the moment, the London Wasps, Leicester and Saracens are through. And the Ospreys are going through if the score stays 3 - 6 in their favour.
Although they have THREE people sin-binned, so if the Harlequins don't get at least two or three tries here then the Ospreys can call themselves very lucky.

Well, we need to get some decent forwards. Llanelli have some of the best backs in Europe, yet our forwards aren't giving them a good enough platform.
Hopefully after we sell Stradey and after the building of the new stadium we'll have enough money to buy some decent forwards. Deacon Manu? ....

[/b]

Got to agree. their back play in appalling conditions was brilliant at times. the tries were very well taken, but if you are going to struggle at scrum time it will cost you, especially in poor conditions. I also thought that their defence needs to get more physical.

Semi Finals:

Leicester Tigers v London Wasps

Ospreys v Saracens.

So...it'll be an Ospreys v Tigers final again? I wouldn't fancy picking Wasps or Tigers in their game, that should be quite good.

Latest posts