• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Final!

B

BokMagic

Can`t believe nobody`s started the official game thread yet, so here goes.

The defending champions, England, take on the undefeated Springboks in a pool rematch game of epic proportions. Much is at stake for both teams- apart from the obvious little trophy called Bill, of course! Both teams are gunning for a second ***le, to join Australia as multiple tournament winners.

England will go into the match on the back of a spirited performance in the knockout phase, having impressed friend and foe alike with their commitment, dedication, defense and pack. And of course the boot of a certain mr. Wilkinson. And while they looked likely to make it no further than the quarters a mere 4 weeks ago, suddenly they are very much back in business.

South Africa will be cock-a-hoop with their unbeaten status to date. They were very impressive in accounting for England by 36-0 in pool play, and looked utterly professional and ruthless in their semi, but for the most part has also been unconvincing. And they will be under no illusions that this is a whole new ballgame as opposed to the pool game.

Prediction time ladies and gents- who will win it, why and by how much? Unleash the Nostradamus within!

England by less than 3 points. or SA by more than 10.

Either England's improved defense enables them to keep the game tight and rely on Jonny, or South Africa unleash Habana and Pietersen to run away with the game, taking advantage of England's poor distribution in the centres.

But Andy Farrell`s not playing :wall: , so who is gonna make the distribution mistakes in the centres?

Hipkiss takes command in the centre, breaking through with some delightful shimmies to send Cueto and Sackey in for three glorious tries. But Sheridan plays like a wet tissue, and Habana kicks a rake of points from the penalties awarded by Rolland for collapsed scrums.

SA 21 Eng 19 (Jonny misses one of the conversions).

Chabal does a streak across the pitch just before half time.

Hipkiss takes command in the centre, breaking through with some delightful shimmies to send Cueto and Sackey in for three glorious tries. But Sheridan plays like a wet tissue, and Habana kicks a rake of points from the penalties awarded by Rolland for collapsed scrums.

SA 21 Eng 19 (Jonny misses one of the conversions).

Chabal does a streak across the pitch just before half time.
[/b]

You know that seems pretty darn likely.

I reckon South Africa will eventually cut through England's defence if they play enough attacking rugby. Johnny's form should improve and he should get a few more penalties in.

26-15 to SA. BUT I really really want England to win :(

I'm standing behind England once again for a few reasons: -

1) They are my adopted country for the world cup and it's nice to see a country you back go all the way
2) I'll be out in London and the last thing i want is a bunch of grumpy English ******** at my side.
3) London will BOUNCE if England take it. This TRF meeting was initially just a meeting, but who would have ever thought this was going to be one of the best places we could have chosen.

Losing Lewsey is a massive blow for us though...not too optimistic but proud all the same.

Hopefully the Springboks roll over England like in the Pool-stage!!

England has improved since their last encounter, but they are to much Wilkinson-dependant... and South Africa is a very very very solid team, they dont' make many mistakes.
Just look at the game against Argentina and you will see how well they can capitalise the other side's errors.

Hopefully the Springboks roll over England like in the Pool-stage!!

England has improved since their last encounter, but they are to much Wilkinson-dependant... and South Africa is a very very very solid team, they dont' make many mistakes.
Just look at the game against Argentina and you will see how well they can capitalise the other side's errors. [/b]

Look at the 36-0 pool match and you see how SA capitalise on the other side's errors. SA will only lose if they succumb to complacency, partivculrly in the back. I don't think this will happen.

1. SA have kept their cool and responded well under pressure to date.

2.They have some very experienced old heads in key positions to focus the match towards their strengths.

3. The boks pack is their passion and their power. They will be too proud to achieve anything less than parity with the English, and they will be aware of how strong the English are. If they don't do the hard work SA will lose. These guys will put in the hard work.

I really, really want England to win and anything could happen (eg. Lewsey's try last week). But barring great luck and a complacent opponent i can't see it happen. Versus Aus we had clear advantages which could win the match (scrum and forward power). Versus France we knew them inside out, have had multiple tight games in the past few years and had beaten them in the last tournament match between the two. England don't have anything like these small advantages on the boks.

A mate of mine offered me a ticket for the final but due to visa restrictions I cannot go. Anyone interested in buying a ticket for £850?

But Andy Farrell`s not playing :wall: , so who is gonna make the distribution mistakes in the centres?
[/b]

Don't worry about Farrell's mistake talley BM, Cueto is always worth at least one try for the opposition, if he does those amazing kicks of his it'll be two or three....

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Don't worry about Farrell's mistake talley BM, Cueto is always worth at least one try for the opposition, if he does those amazing kicks of his it'll be two or three....
[/b][/quote]

Well the English have got Mike Catt in the centre, and I see him as a defesive liability.

What's this I hear about Habana twinging his hamstring? Is it true? Have my prayers been answered?

Over and above the usual reasons for wanting your country to win the World Cup I also SO want us to take it for Jake's sake. No coach on earth has to deal with the **** that he has to off the field. He took us from disgrace and despair (on and off the field) in 2003 to stability and possible glory in 2007. What's more, he also told us he would do this when he took over!We rightfully have SOMETHING to have pride in again.

You would think respect would be in order for him but no such luck. Politicians in SA are insisting he go "regardless of results on the field". And he will go.

WE are going to miss this guy when he goes onto to coach England or whoever

RESPEK coach! And thank you.

^^^^^
I shouldn't forget Eddie Jones has had a lot to do with the Bok revival.
<div class='quotemain'> What's this I hear about Habana twinging his hamstring? Is it true? Have my prayers been answered? [/b]

Wishfull thinking![/b][/quote]

Bugger. :(

Over and above the usual reasons for wanting your country to win the World Cup I also SO want us to take it for Jake's sake.
[/b]

Agree 200%. He deserves a commendation, not the crap he's getting from the higher-ups.

I feel SA are under pressure for this one. England's defense has not been broken since 2 weekends ago. They have held strong, and have played clever rugby. South Africa's defense shouldn't have been broken for the last 2 weekends, yet they have let in sloppy tries (they were awful against Fiji the second half) and have also shown against Tonga, USA and Argentina that while their defense is good, it can be broken and they tend to be a bit shocked when it happens, meaning the other team can try and turn the screw.

South Africa will start as favourites, which may work in England's favour.

I have no idea of the score, but England by 4, no points scored in the last 10 minutes.

It is true, the Boks will be starting as favourites, which can be good for England, as the pressure will be on the south african side.
Then again, for what i've seen so far, the Springboks are a better team. If they don't lose concetration like against Fiji, they will surely win.
And after all, looking at the way this WC started for England, second place is far more than they could possibly dream of.

May the best team win!!
(hopefully the boks!) :grinse:

Don't get us wrong. South Africa would deserve to win more than England. England also would be extremely satisfied by being at least the 2nd best team this World Cup (arguably). I for one would be very happy, and am very happy that we have reached the final. But also.... if we did win, how blooomin amazing would that be for us.

We'd be the first team to win consecutive World Cups
The first team to win after losing in the qualifying stages
The first team to beat a team in the final that we lost to in the qualifiers (by a long way)
We have played rubbish for the last four years

Even if we lose, I'm proud that England's rugby team has shown such passion and determination. Even if critics call it ugly rugby, it's got us to the finals so poo on you. And it should be an awesome game if both teams play to their potential.

Latest posts