• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Global Calendar after 2019 (rumours ATM)

Yeah that sounds like a good proposal. I'd like to see a 6 week test mid year window instead though, you could have 3 tests, a break and then another 3 tests. It would match up with the current 6 week window as well, with Unions making their own arrangements for tests outside of it. The only reason for the current model of June/November windows is because of tradition from the amateur touring days.

One thing i'd like is that the "rest of world" (everyone except France and England with their club problems) Unions should do what's right for them and global rugby, although hopefully not at the expense of growth and just for more blazer control. The celtic nations have a lot more in common with SANZAR than they do with England and France and should use that to their advantage.

Last edited:
For those who find a graphic representation easier...

GlobalCalendar.png

Global calendar is just a moniker for greater alignment bandied about. Nobody (decision makers) actually believes that the NH and SH can completely sync.

I think Super Rugby needs to be scrapped, and the Currie Cup should take priority again. Then when the international teams meet, it would be a momentous occasion. This will ensure the strength or the Currie Cup, and player burn out will be drastically reduced.

I think Super Rugby needs to be scrapped, and the Currie Cup should take priority again. Then when the international teams meet, it would be a momentous occasion. This will ensure the strength or the Currie Cup, and player burn out will be drastically reduced.

You do realise that the Currie Cup loses SARU money hand over fist, and that News Ltd will not pay out the money for Currie Cup that they do for Super Rugby?

Like the NZRU does with the NPC, SARU uses the money they make from Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship to subsidized the cost of running Currie Cup.

You do realise that the Currie Cup loses SARU money hand over fist, and that News Ltd will not pay out the money for Currie Cup that they do for Super Rugby?

Like the NZRU does with the NPC, SARU uses the money they make from Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship to subsidized the cost of running Currie Cup.

Yes i realise that. But nobody is enjoying super rugby, (apart from NZ'ers maybe). It's been devaluing since Super 14 was introduced. News Ltd can still pay for the Rugby Championship

Last edited:
I get that but I don't know how long it'll last. When New Zealand whitewash the Lions next year it'll be 6-0 in the professional era, 24 years since the Lions last beat them and 15-2 since the Lions won their only series against them, it's not competitive anymore..

Mate that's not the attitude. If that were the case NZ would've stopped playing Ireland yeears ago. And Scotland & Wales, Argies et al

- - - Updated - - -

About the whole global season..speaking to pommy mates most of them agree that when you look at it like this. If the north play more over summer they'll have better weather conducive to more attacking skill based passing and running rugby. Not the pros running about on TV but the little kids growing up they'll get to play on dryer grounds and devolop better skills from a young age. It's the only way I ever believe the North will consistently catch the ABs & the skill in the south.

Last edited:
MO saying that NZ are wanting to play more test outside the international window and are prepared to play up to 18 test a season. MO also saying that New Zealand will want €2 million for a test outside the window.