• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Global Calendar after 2019 (rumours ATM)

Why USA? Yes yes I know the actual reason but why not Romania/Georgia?

So roughly we're looking at:

NH season of October to July; SH to stay roughly the same: February to November.

June tests to move to July (apart from the year after RWC). Lions tests still every 4 years in this window.
No change to 6N or RWC.

But No mention of the November test window will still be retained yet?

Last edited:
Why USA? Yes yes I know the actual reason but why not Romania/Georgia?

I know that's somewhat rehtorical, but:

Romania GDP: $9,499
Georgia GDP: $3,605

Japan GDP: $38,633
USA GDP: $53,051

It's not a slight difference, is it?

So roughly we're looking at:

NH season of October to July; SH to stay roughly the same: February to November.

June tests to move to July (apart from the year after RWC). Lions tests still every 4 years in this window.
No change to 6N or RWC.

But No mention of the November test window will still be retained yet?

The article was just highlighting changes so I'd guess the AIs are staying. Sadly.

And top 14 (probably top 16 or 18 soon with 4 nomad clubs made up exclusively of foreign players) moves to 14 month schedule where the previous years playoffs will finish around round 4 of the next year

Rugby Calendar changes post 2019

Main Changes

-Summer tours set to be scrapped after World Cup years
-Premiership and Pro12 to start later and finish later, at end of June
-Super Rugby in southern hemisphere to finish at similar time
-Six Nations and World Cup unaffected

Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37354427

Wales Online claiming that there may be a world club competition on the table to take place instead of the Summer Tours the year after WC's.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/everything-you-need-know-proposed-11887558

Well that completely defeats the point of having no internationals in that time frame. They cited player welfare and giving players rest for the lack of those internationals. Adding a club competition in that time defeats that entirely.

Well that completely defeats the point of having no internationals in that time frame. They cited player welfare and giving players rest for the lack of those internationals. Adding a club competition in that time defeats that entirely.

Unless they are going to implement some sort of enforced sabbatical for World Cup players. Like the SH does with certain players during the Super Rugby tournament.

Unless they are going to implement some sort of enforced sabbatical for World Cup players. Like the SH does with certain players during the Super Rugby tournament.

Yeah, good luck telling French clubs that they can't use international players which they paid so much for at the equivalent of a World Cup for them.

Which in itself would invalidate the 'best of the best' world club competition.

It's worth taking the article with a massive grain of salt, because they don't name any sources. They cite the comments Mark McCafferty made a while back regarding wanting to see a world club competition if there were space in the calendar for it, then possible takes 2 and 2 to make 5.

Imo if they wanted to create a world club competition once every 4 years, they'd need to scrap Europe + Super rugby for that year too. It'd be important to have those two competitions aligned in the rugby calendar, which I don't think the proposed changes manage (super rugby finishes at the same time as pro12/premiership, not Europe).

not too much of a problem for the TOP 14 we cancell all players holidays and be the first country to have a 12 month season, it's less games i thought everybody thought was necessary. I suppose with the extra TV money we can buy most of the stars from all the SH countries and then maybe start an 2nd division exclusive for French players.

Where in these changes are the fixtures reduced - supposedly the motivation behind the global season? I count 3 in a 4 year cycle

not too much of a problem for the TOP 14 we cancell all players holidays and be the first country to have a 12 month season, it's less games i thought everybody thought was necessary. I suppose with the extra TV money we can buy most of the stars from all the SH countries and then maybe start an 2nd division exclusive for French players.

No, no second division will be for scouted youth division players from other countries, division 3 will be exclusive for French players. ;)

Tew saying that the scrapping of the june test after the RWC has not been agreed.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ugby-internationals-post-World-Cup-not-agreed

Talk about SH losing money and that it should be made up elsewhere namely they want a slice of the AI pie.

(i could be wrong but don't the AI's get cancelled in a RWC year?)

Will be interesting to see how things develops.

- - - Updated - - -

Also rumours that the Top 14 might expand to 32 teams with conferences.

A 32 team league makes it very complicated trying to interface with the Eurocup.

There's currently no AI's in a World Cup year so I can't imagine that'd change. That would mean there'd be a year's gap between the RWC and another series of SH v NH matches which is much needed as shown by the amount of players ****ed by injury in June.

It could change further when the Lions tour is a complete disaster, surely people in the SH are getting fed up of the composite side which is worse than three of the sides that make it up getting dicked on or scraping by when their opposition is at their worst. It'd only take a little bit of innovation to have a better product which makes everyone more money and ruins less players careers where fans get to see their own team playing which I think most people, especially on this island, would prefer.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure lu the French don't have the resources to maintain a compelling 32 team competition?!

Latest posts