• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Golf Thread

Seeing that Shane Lowry has become the undisputed best player in the world was just about the only thing that made me happy today...

Haha! Cannot disagree on that one and Rory's doubts about going to Rio maybe starting to look silly as might he not be selected!!!

Is this another case of a long injury and a player does not come back the player he was, is he too happy off course or is it just the yips? I have no idea but it is not great for him when it really matters at the moment. Xxx

Yeah I'm worried about Rory, thought he'd come back into form after the Irish open and Muirfield. Never expected a win for him this week on those greens but his ball striking let him down too from what I saw.

Yeah I'm worried about Rory, thought he'd come back into form after the Irish open and Muirfield. Never expected a win for him this week on those greens but his ball striking let him down too from what I saw.

Trouble is when your putting goes, you try and get it closer to the pin and that puts pressure on your approach which puts pressure on your drive and you are f******.

Bugger! Have to go to sleep as 700 km to drive tomorrow and an exciting last 9 holes in prospect!

Rooting for Shane but hoping for Sergio.......where did Westie go?

Enjoy......

**** this weekend. As a nation I feel we are owed at least a win against Italy and qualification for the next round of the Euros, to hammer the Saffas and Lowry or Harrington to win the Open in three weeks... We're a small country not used to a whole lot of success, don't get our ****ing hopes up.

Rory has pulled out of Rio as his mind is not in it and his form indifferent.

Joking........only the Zika virus......!!

Wonderful round from Phil which leaves him 15 SHOTS clear of Shane Lowry?

Yanks leading the Open with the first seven or eight players but tomorrow is another day - wind gusting at 30 mph and rain is the forecast as the proverbial appendages close!!

I genuinely think Harrington has a chance. I watched Speith and he struggled with the rough. I think some of Americans will struggle if they go in there in weather that is expected to get more challenging. Despite some great scores today I still think 4 or 5 under will win the jug

I genuinely think Harrington has a chance. I watched Speith and he struggled with the rough. I think some of Americans will struggle if they go in there in weather that is expected to get more challenging. Despite some great scores today I still think 4 or 5 under will win the jug

I am with you there....also Darren had a good round for him and be interesting to see how he gets on in the wind and rain tomorrow as he has absolutely nothing to lose!!

So have watched the Sky coverage from 06.30 this am and find that the thread of the round is ruined by silly interruptions!

What with continued departures to the golf zone where the failed golfer Dougherty seems to be employed because of his wife (to gush over the likes of his mentor Faldo or recreate bunker shots previously shown live by excellent players) to Livingstone holding court when live golf (as Riry started out) was being missed, the continuity of the BBC was so missed....

In the starting 75 minutes, I saw less than 10 minutes golf. There were no leaderboards or stream of scores other than for the first 20 players, no mention of the success of Southgate (which the Beeb highlights included concerning his cancer battle and qualification). At least they kept the too regular advert breaks down to a minute or so......guess we should be grateful for small things!!

Rory 9 shots behind leaders at lunch on first day of PGA.......and 6 behind Jason Day his playing partner......em!

He hasn't been good at all this year, needs to remind himself he's a golfer and not a celebrity.

One of the commentators said they played a practice round with him this week and he hit the ball beautifully.

Yet, come the first couple or three rounds of the major he plays badly and only when he cannot win, realistically, does his game come back?

Nerves or what?

Of the big four only Day is under par with Speith playing worse than Rory, and DJ now two shots worse than Rory!!

Funny old game.........

One of the commentators said they played a practice round with him this week and he hit the ball beautifully.

Yet, come the first couple or three rounds of the major he plays badly and only when he cannot win, realistically, does his game come back?

Nerves or what?

Of the big four only Day is under par with Speith playing worse than Rory, and DJ now two shots worse than Rory!!

Funny old game.........

It is, Rory's woes have completely overshadowed Spieth's he's had a worse year of the two since his Augusta collapse!

Anyone tell me why, when everyone else is in a team of two, the USA are being represented in Rio by Kuchar, Watson, Read and Fowler?

A repeat of the Open except Rose for Mickelson?

Stenson 5 and Rose 6 shots clear after 5 holes in final round at Rio with some great golf.....

Willet looks like finishing 26th and, as bored as I am, I see from his stats that he has only had 4 top TWENTY finishes this year and half his earnings comes from his Masters win!!

You gotta to feel sorry for Monty and Sergio........two really great golfers not to win a major!!!

.......and he finished 37th!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts