• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

So he was in charge against Wales in Nov 2018?
Yup. But don't brag too much about that one legitimate win though... it was the last game on tour for us, and it was after we lost to England after that last minute controversial Farrel tackle.

We were knackered, and Rassie was still sorting out a few kinks in our game plan.

He had the job for 4 months then. While Gatland was the coach of Wales since the dawn of time...

50% record, Gats is a genuis!

So wait a minute. First of all you get your facts wrong and say the only reason we beat SA is coz they were ****. Then you say it was because of their crap manager. Then it turns out we beat them twice under Rassie and now it's 50%. That's 3 games won 2 lost 1 between 2018-2019. Yeah, what a terrible record let's all pack out bags and not bother. Ignoring the fact that the lions have far better players than Wales.

And the 1 loss was by 3 points with a injury ravaged side and with the help of the ref. Yep, let's not bother lads. SA are way to good for us.

Whatever about the pack the backlines available are about as far from NZ style rugby as you'll find. In terms of NH sides who are successful against SA, Ireland would be the ones to look at, we broke a 60 year duck in 04 and have a winning record since. A strong line out, a traditional backrow, at least one ball playing front row, a 10 and midfield who'll control the pace and territory of the game and a back three who will chase anything usually does the job.

No chance the Lions have a midfield to do that, the 10 and 6 options aren't the best available for it and you'd be a lot happier with Gray and/or Ryan about the place too. I think he's got his back three and front row correct minus Sinckler and there's problems everywhere else.

So wait a minute. First of all you get your facts wrong and say the only reason we beat SA is coz they were ****. Then you say it was because of their crap manager. Then it turns out we beat them twice under Rassie and now it's 50%. That's 3 games won 2 lost 1 between 2018-2019. Yeah, what a terrible record let's all pack out bags and not bother. Ignoring the fact that the lions have far better players than Wales.
I got the names of people wrong....

We aren't counting the game in USA where two B sides played each other....you wouldn't if it were England.

I got the names of people wrong....

We aren't counting the game in USA where two B sides played each other....you wouldn't if it were England.
Wouldn't I? Ok, it's not like it points to depth or anything like that is it. That would be a silly take.

even if I give you that it's 50-50 with a 3 point
Loss with a pretty average Wales side
In parts. Yep, no chance mate.

Yup. But don't brag too much about that one legitimate win though... it was the last game on tour for us, and it was after we lost to England after that last minute controversial Farrel tackle.

We were knackered, and Rassie was still sorting out a few kinks in our game plan.

He had the job for 4 months then. While Gatland was the coach of Wales since the dawn of time...
Yeah fair enough. Our games over the last few years normally are pretty close affairs. Semi final included. We don't count that one though as you were paying our B team

Yeah fair enough. Our games over the last few years normally are pretty close affairs. Semi final included. We don't count that one though as you were paying our B team
Wow, so cocky. If you take away Allister Coetzee's reign as coach.

then Wales only won those 2 games thereafter, and another one in 2014.

And all of them were outside of South Africa. We are a different beast at home... But go on... be the cocky little prick...

Wow, so cocky. If you take away Allister Coetzee's reign as coach.

then Wales only won those 2 games thereafter, and another one in 2014.

And all of them were outside of South Africa. We are a different beast at home... But go on... be the cocky little prick...

Lol, I think you took that the wrong way mate. Perhaps I should've put one of the winky emoji's at the end but I would've thought it was quite obvious I was joking about not counting the semi final. Apparently not, though.

Unless you took offence to me saying our games are usually close affairs?

Beat us at our own game?

To me your team is more based around an All Black model. Mobile props, fast loose forwards, Fly Halves that can play centre and vice versa. Fast wingers.

For some reason I think the plan will be to make the game as loose as possible, and then let the chaos be to the Lions' favour. Maybe the thinking is that the lack of Springbok game time, would mean our guys aren't fit enough, and our forwards will tire soon, which could also make our bomb squad inefficient.
So its a bit of a combination

From whats been said , I think actually you'll be looking at Jamie George to start, being the best set piece hooker in teh squad. He's a great scrummager and very impressive lineout thrower too. Re the rest of the front row, Gats specifically said he wanted props who's scrummaging could hold up, and Scotland's props have been very good at that, plus you have the Great Tadgh of Furlong, imo best tighthead in the world in near every respect

Behind that everything is more mobile, maybe with exception of Jonny Hill, and able to play a very loose forwards game, almost separating the back 5 from the front row. Lots of pace, dynamism etc, hopefully have enough ballast in the scrum. And as Gats said, you cant run into the brick walls of SA defense and expect to win, footwork at the line, speed and acceleration are crucial

The big key will be the centre partnership. Will he go heavy bosh, solid defensively with Aki/Henshaw, or will he go dual playmaker, looking to split the field, and impart width and play real heads up rugby? I know its been written off, but remember who Gats attack coach was. No longer burdened by the horror of Rob Howley, Gregor has imparted his own playing style onto most teams he's coached. I think basically what the goals were is 1) Scrum parity, 2) Lineout options, 3) Loose Mobility, and Power

I think I also heard from Gats something about how "they'd be looking to play a fast game from the off, because its easier to play an open game style and tighten up later on, than to be tight and then need to be expansive when chasing a game". Couldve been from a pundit like Warburton instead mind so not totally sure

You can also guarantee Stuart Hogg wont be going there as a guy to collect high balls and kick long. What a waste that would be

Lol, I think you took that the wrong way mate. Perhaps I should've put one of the winky emoji's at the end but I would've thought it was quite obvious I was joking about not counting the semi final. Apparently not, though.

Unless you took offence to me saying our games are usually close affairs?
Sorry I didn't hear the sarcasm in your voice...

The matches in Wales are usually close affairs, because you don't close the roof when we come and play, and you rely on the wetness to keep the games close.

But when it's dry here in SA, we tend to beat Wales usually very convincingly...

And the tests the Lions will play, is only one test in Cape Town that could have some rain that time of year...

Sorry I didn't hear the sarcasm in your voice...

The matches in Wales are usually close affairs, because you don't close the roof when we come and play, and you rely on the wetness to keep the games close.

But when it's dry here in SA, we tend to beat Wales usually very convincingly...

And the tests the Lions will play, is only one test in Cape Town that could have some rain that time of year...
No worries. It's hard to gauge tone online.

Do we usually keep the roof open against you? I honestly don't know. I vaguely remember us closing it last time we played in Cardiff as we wanted the atmosphere to be as intimidating as possible but genuinely not sure about the other times.

I agree it's a different kettle of fish out in SA, no doubt, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's the dryness but more the heat and altitude that's the problem. I think most rugby players prefer playing in dry conditions even Welsh ones who live in a pretty rainy country.

Our record out in SA is terrible though, for sure. One game out there I've tried to totally wipe from my memory was one we were absolutely smashing you in in the first half and I thought omg we look like we're going to record some history here and then we proceeded to totally bottle the 2nd half and lost the game by 1 point.

Our record out in SA is terrible though, for sure. One game out there I've tried to totally wipe from my memory was one we were absolutely smashing you in in the first half and I thought omg we look like we're going to record some history here and then we proceeded to totally bottle the 2nd half and lost the game by 1 point.
Dude, how long have you watched Welsh rugby?? You do that to most teams...

Incredibly arrogant and their reasoning in certain areas is a bit uneducated to say the least but hard to disagree overall. They've clearly not watched Watson but I think there's a good argument to be made that there are more suitable 7s to dismantle a good Boks side available.

Edit: I think Keohane has a bit of a Neil Francis type rep, so not too quality stuff from my understanding.

I thought it was Greg Wallace from Masterchef when the video started playing. No 'This is your Everest boys' speeches required this year. Just play that clip to the 23 before the tests and let them hear gobby Greg in action.

Latest posts