• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Just saw An Cailin Ciuin there, think I'd say it's a better film than Banshees which I did like a lot. Think there's a lot any Irish person would recognise in it.

Just saw An Cailin Ciuin there, think I'd say it's a better film than Banshees which I did like a lot. Think there's a lot any Irish person would recognise in it.
Yeh liked to see that. Up for best film at the academy awards with Everything All at once, which also want to see, this Sunday. All Quiet in the western front has not won any of the pre Oscar awards and apparently not popular stateside.

I take it Cailin Ciuin is all in Gaelic? Will look out for it on Netflix/Prime.

Yeh liked to see that. Up for best film at the academy awards with Everything All at once, which also want to see, this Sunday. All Quiet in the western front has not won any of the pre Oscar awards and apparently not popular stateside.

I take it Cailin Ciuin is all in Gaelic? Will look out for it on Netflix/Prime.

I'd say 95% of it is in Irish and it's actually a small plot point that one character doesn't speak any.

My Irish is dreadful though and the subtitles didn't have any negative effect for me.

Not sure how Banshees got so many academy nominations. It's a pretty average film
Top Gun: Maverick got nominated for best film as well and as someone here pointed out just nicked the plot from Star Wars a new hope. Perhaps reflecting the overall quality of films being nominated this year.

Top Gun: Maverick got nominated for best film as well and as someone here pointed out just nicked the plot from Star Wars a new hope. Perhaps reflecting the overall quality of films being nominated this year.
It actually nicked the plot from 633 Squadron, just swapped out the Mosquitos for Hornets and yes it was a good film but not really a great one

Oscar night. Not sure who will win. Everything Everywhere All at once appears to be favourite but read it's not really about much at all. But when you have Avatar sequel and Maverick in the list, it doesn't reflect well on the quality overall.

Everything Everywhere All at once appears to be favourite but read it's not really about much at all.
Who said that? Because its about ALOT like you have to entirely miss the point of the entire film. Its both a movie with big ideas and really about about the small things in life.

I really loved it but surprised its going for the awards because it feels marmjte. But if it doesn't win best actress and best supporting actor I will riot.

Who said that? Because its about ALOT like you have to entirely miss the point of the entire film. Its both a movie with big ideas and really about about the small things in life.

I really loved it but surprised its going for the awards because it feels marmjte. But if it doesn't win best actress and best supporting actor I will riot.
The Graund. But I haven't seen it yet.

Apparently Cate Blanchett for Tár could pip Yeoh.

I was implying the only way Maverick should win anything was if there was an actual Top Gun sequel category.

I was implying the only way Maverick should win anything was if there was an actual Top Gun sequel category.
Yep it was enjoyable but no way a best film contender. I think it only got nominated because it helped cinemas get bums on seats last year post covid.

Movie itself wasn't that great but probably one of the best WW2 movie themes ever (Nothing can beat Where eagles dare IMO):

Yeh I recognise the opening part.

They use that in SPOTY if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
But if it doesn't win best actress and best supporting actor I will riot.
No need to riot.

Harrison Ford Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Michelle Yeoh Win GIF by SAG Awards

Latest posts