• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The next great fly half

Update on Anscombe vs Barrett, Taranaki has just trounced Auckland 39-11. Barrett played Anscombe off the park, leading to the latter being taken off the park to be replaced by the bench fullback.

Daniel Carter probably has another World Cup left in him after this (he probably won't be at his best). I'd agree with ranger that Beuden Barrett is going to be a class player. I can't see Cruden becoming world class in the next few years, while I think Anscombe has all the skills to be the best but he really underperformed in the last JWC (despite him getting best player) as he didn't run the backline as well as previous players like Cruden and Bleyendaal.

Quade Cooper is a very different player to Daniel Carter. Cooper can look amazing and then average within two weeks apart and his defense has never looked good. Daniel Carter always plays well. It's a bit similar to me as the argument of Carlos Spencer v Andrew Mehrtens. Mehrtens had the best kicking game in the world, was an underrated runner and would take contol of games. Spencer on the other hand pulled out little bits of tricky magic that no other player could/was dumb enough to try, and it paid off, but he was never consistant.

I agree. Cooper and Cruden are a little overrated IMO, real class players to step up on the test stage now are Lambie, Slade and Sexton, though the latter I'm not too sure of yet. The generation after that will look something like this - Bleyendaal, Anscombe, Barrett, Morgan and Ford.

Dan carter is the world's best player, great controller of the modem game and also has great vision of the field. :D

Carter just needs to go back to the drawing board with his kicks at goal. He only had a kicking success rate of 72% in the Super 15 this year. Peter Grant, Morne Steyn, Pat Lambie and James O Conner all had better kicking averages. Have a look at this very interesting article, only related to the Tr Nations kickers but still very interesting facts.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/kicking-difficulty-whos-the-top-gun-in-the-tri-nations/

It was said he was practicing his drop-kicks more, maybe he let his placekicking practice slip? He was striking the ball alright but the accuracy was just off.

Just another update, Barrett has broken the NPC record for penalty kicks, with a 9 from 9 effort against BOP.

Just another update, Barrett has broken the NPC record for penalty kicks, with a 9 from 9 effort against BOP.

A great effort from him - I'd imagine that will bring his kicking percentage up past 50% for the year now ;)

Last edited:
Now, am no expert in this position but after watching a few games of his........I'm pretty convinced at Patrick Lambies game. Very good ruuner of the ball and is not shy to take on the big boys in defence (manage to keep Nonu on check in Wellington).

Elton Janjtes, if given more opportunities at Super rugby should be another.

As for the Kiwis.....not too sure about any of them.

Quade Cooper believes too much of the papers hyping him up, but cant really back it up in a big game.

In the 70s i would imagine

Before the match he had kicked 11/23 (48%). After kicking 10/11 it brought his season tally up to 21/34 (62%). He's looks to be very talented, but still has a lot of work to do on his goal-kicking, despite kicking very well in one match....

Considering he hadnt been kicking for the best part of three seasons, i think hes gradually re-learning and improving. This performance shows he has the potential to become a handy goalkicker. I also think there is a vital difference between kicking well in "one match" and kicking well in the most recent match, one implys a fluke while the other signifies improvement..

Considering he hadnt been kicking for the best part of three seasons, i think hes gradually re-learning and improving. This performance shows he has the potential to become a handy goalkicker. I also think there is a vital difference between kicking well in "one match" and kicking well in the most recent match, one implys a fluke while the other signifies improvement..

He certainly looks to have the potential to become a handy goal-kicker. Kicking at 62% for the season suggests there is plenty of improvement needed (and I'm sure he will improve the more chances he gets to kick as you suggest). Kicking well in a single match (whether it be the most recent match or not) does not in itself imply a fluke or signify improvement - it simply implies that he kicked well in that match - to identify whether is a fluke or a sign of improvement you need to identify whether there is a trend in his goal-kicking percentage over the year.

EDIT: As I have far too much time on my hands, I've graphed Barrett's kicking percentage this season - It looks like he has clearly improved as the season has progressed (as you suggest). I would love to post the graph, but for some reason I can't seem to add images at the moment...

Last edited:
earl rose is the answer people...if it was the 1st of april today!

cooper very good but carter still the best

only department where steyn is better than lambie is probably in the kicking department.

my future unborn daughter is better than butch james.

Latest posts