• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The official TRF Metal Gear Solid 4 thread

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21645.html

WOW!

This looks amazing. Could this be the game that swings things back the way of the PS3? Could this be the greatest game of all time?

All discussion in here please.

[/b]
Dan, Gametrailers has cut the trailer of MGS4 in that link. It just has the producer explaining about MGS4. The game trailer is on their site, but on a different link. Here is the game trailer, It does look nice, but I wasn't really fussed on the last one.

It's a pitty MGS isn't nearly as clever Konami think it is. We all remember MGS2 and the 45 minute cut scenes (which meant it was bloody lucky the cut scenes were pretty neing as gameplay itself was at a minimum).

I'm still not convinced at how good this will be without seeing some gameplay footage, which again will need drastic improvements after Splinter Cell ****** over every MGS game.

Bloody hell! The actual game trailer was amazing! The fight scene between those to things was pretty damn cool!

Bloody hell! The actual game trailer was amazing! The fight scene between those to things was pretty damn cool! [/b]
It's during the over-the-top fight scene, where I like to see a guy walk up to both & shoot them in the head & walk off.

<div class='quotemain'> Bloody hell! The actual game trailer was amazing! The fight scene between those to things was pretty damn cool! [/b]
It's during the over-the-top fight scene, where I like to see a guy walk up to both & shoot them in the head & walk off. [/b][/quote]

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MyBu4OFPmug"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MyBu4OFPmug" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Bloody hell! The actual game trailer was amazing! The fight scene between those to things was pretty damn cool! [/b]
It's during the over-the-top fight scene, where I like to see a guy walk up to both & shoot them in the head & walk off. [/b][/quote]

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MyBu4OFPmug"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MyBu4OFPmug" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
[/b][/quote] Exactly!!!

Looks like there's only me who thinks MGS is by far and away the best series out there!

Pretty much.

MGS1, was awsome when it was released, but a bit dumb now.

MGS2, I enjoyed the tanker section... Unfortunately it wen't all Japanese for the platform section, the cut scenes went on for hours and the main character looked like a tiwaneese transexual.

MGS3, was just a game of dress up Barbie.

MGS4... Meh.

I've never played a metal gear solid game in my life, and i can't say that trailer enticed me to go try it either.
It was quite over-drawn.

I don't get the appeal of the series either.

I played the first game and actually bought the second one on the back of good reviews. It was a real disappointment, I got very bored very quickly.

Must admit though, that games which force you to use stealth all the time aren't my thing. Much prefer having the option of exactly which approach to take during a level.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was probably one of the few highlights at this years Games Convention (seems they've gone the way of E3 in terms of lacklustre announcements - if the Tokyo Game Show is this dull I think we might have to consider not bothering with them anymore). Kojima was there, and he brought with him a new trailer. A trailer that reveals four new bosses! Well, i'm assuming they're bosses. They could all get killed in the first five minutes, knowing Kojima.

I'm guessing Liquid promised to create a twisted army of cyborgs to his FOXHOUND chums should they be slain in battle, as their names are eerily similar. You have Screaming Mantis, Raging Raven, Laughing Octopus and Crying Wolf. You'll probably be able to guess who is who from the trailer, as for once they actually have features that are associated with their animal codenames.

Other than that, I got nothing. Apparently Kojima is claiming a simultaneous worldwide release. Bet it doesnt include Europe. Again.

LOL a simultaneous worlid wide release excluding europe LOL. Europe is a big part of the world. I loved MSG 1 and 2 was pretty gd. Snake eater sunk this series for me, utter garbage. If I ever get a PS3 ill check 4 out, but it will be a headache trying to remember all of the complicated crap that goes on in MGS land.

OK just had 4 hours of playing MGS4 and I have to say it does utilise the power of the PS3 quite well.

So far I am liking this game a lot more than I did Far Cry 2.

I can't wait to play it on the 360 version/ get a PS3 for something approaching a reasonable price.

NOTE: The following post contains no spoilers.
Had the game (and a PS3) for Christmas - woohoo! - and so far, I can say the gameplay is the best it has ever been in the series. The movement is far more fluid (i.e. climbing over things; moving from crawl-to-crouch position), the gun-play is much easier to utilise and the physics are, as expected from the console, superb. The utilisation of stealth is also probably better than in the previous two games aswell. There's far less hassle, as in MGS3 where you would need to constantly change camo to suit the environment, you have a single suit that automatically adapts and resembles the colours which you rest against, for optimum stealth.

Though, as said before, the cut-scenes are very long. That said, the extremely long river scene is perhaps worth the purchase in itself. For a fan who started the series with MGS1 in 1999, I must say I'm glad that I was one of the few who became enticed in the series. It's so much deeper than a lot of other games out there, and the character relationships and backgrounds are interesting, not just the generic 'LOL I R BAD GUY KILL ME NOW!' style of baddie. I haven't finished the game - and the series - yet, but the finale of the Greatest Game Series Ever (no, you're not alone on that one SHRLFC) has not disappointed thus far.
Mite can each **** and die. ;)

I have flitted in and out of the series so MGS4 for me is the first time I have taken it seriously. The opening scene of the game before you even start the game convinced me that this was a special game for anyone who had played the series from the beginning. I imagine that if I had previosly played every one of the MGS games that opening scene would have given me goosebumps...hell I think I would have tears in my eyes. For someone like me who had missed a lot of the previous MGS games...that opening scene gave me a glimpse that I was joining a game series that had "reverence" attached to it. I almost did not feel worthy enough to engage in the game.

I second that notion. At the time, the three previous games were immense. MGS1 may seem dated now, even though it was one of the best games of its generation! Either way, get no. 2 and no. 3 if you get the chance, since that'd clear a lot of the story up.
And if you have a Gamecube, I'd recommend the MGS 'Twin Snakes' remake of MGS1. Updated graphics and a better control scheme make it seem less dated, so yeh, buy them, NAO!!!11!!!

Latest posts