• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The psychology of choking

A friend of mine dared me to put some water into a can. But in the end the pressure got to me and I bottled it.

Not to stick up for the Kiwi's or anything but what happens to England (football) every 4 years (maybe even two)? They choke on the world stage after everyone says "This is our year!" and then we blame the players. If you ask me we get too excited (myself included) pile the pressure on the players, expect everything and then are bitterly disappointed when we don't get what we want. I do agree with what you are all saying about the AB's though. I think 2003 WC is a good example. They were strong favourites only to be knocked in the Semi Finals by the Wallabies. They were a dead cert to win though in the bookies minds.

2003 is the only RWC where the favourite actually won IMO

1987 - The Wallabies were the favourites as they won the Bledisloe Cup in 1986 ... winner NZ
1991 - NZ were favourites as they were undefeated from 1987 - 1990 ... winner Australia
1995 - Australia were the RWC and 1994 Bledisloe winner, NZ got beaten twice at home by France in 1994 ... winner South Africa
1999 - South Africa were the Tri Nations champions in 1998 and the RWC holders ... winner Australia
2003 - A lot easier to determine the favourite due to IRB rankings, England the favourite and winner
2007 - NZ the favourite but under achieves ... winner South Africa

Analysis: The favourite has only won once out of six tournaments, NZ and Australia have been favourites twice, and South Africa once, with none of these sides going on to win the tournament in the years that they were favourites.

... so, as it's already been mentioned , anything can happen in a knock out tournament, and usually does

this is an interesting thread. i do think AB's are in a catch 22 as mentioned before. if they dont win theyre doomed if they do its cos its in their backyard. i think SA are the team to beat IMO

agreed but i think the oz are the team to beat in the wc (apart form nz obiously) especially if mitchell is fit in time.

Exactly, there are other sporting chokes in the world other than New Zealand in Rugby. Rather than rub it into South Africans with cricket though, I think it's a damn unlucky shame as they are an awesome team who deserve a crack at a final at least and soon. We knocked them out of the tournament, but to be honest I think they could've done more with the chance, so it was a bit of a shame.

Now that's a fair criticism. I don't mind admitting that was a large part of the problem in that game.

I was actually saying that the Proteas have finally admitted that they choke! They did none of that 'They were better on the day blah blah' but more like 'Yeah we choked and we know it'

The All Blacks and the Proteas have two things in common: They have fantastic captains when they're winning but when **** hits the fan they go AWOL in presence and performance.

Hey at least the Proteas and the All Blacks are regarded so highly that we they lose they are deemed to have "choked", rather than have lost on the day to better team.

Still i'd rather support either of them than say a team like the French Rugby team- they're expected to be flaky, and when they win (and more inportantly; don't look like a bunch of headless chickens), its a huge surprise to all concerned.

Hey at least the Proteas and the All Blacks are regarded so highly that we they lose they are deemed to have "choked", rather than have lost on the day to better team.

Still i'd rather support either of them than say a team like the French Rugby team- they're expected to be flaky, and when they win (and more inportantly; don't look like a bunch of headless chickens), its a huge surprise to all concerned.

crying-over-spilled-milk.jpg

Why must people beat around the bush when giving digs?....say you think France are shite ..I'm sure someone can refer you back to the 2007 QF

However should you say Ireland are shite ...well can't really argue there :p

Why must people beat around the bush when giving digs?....say you think France are shite ..I'm sure someone can refer you back to the 2007 QF

However should you say Ireland are shite ...well can't really argue there :p

And 1999 SF ;)

I don't thiink NZ have choked at world cups. In 07 and 99 they were beaten by unbelievable French performances which left the French too fatigued to win the next match. 03 Didn't have a good enough team and lost to the hosts. 95 No one was going to beat S.A. 91 not sure and 87 they won.
Whats really worrying is that Rory McIlRoy is a choker Masters this year choked and USPGA and British open last year choked. He's supposed to be the best thing since the potato :(

The point everyone is trying to make is in this picture. It just says it all:

the_allblack_choker.jpg

The point everyone is trying to make is in this picture. It just says it all:

the_allblack_choker.jpg

The points been well made. Now what?

Actually if this thread is not about the psychology of choking in sports teams of all sorts and is just about the All Blacks choking, it may well have run it's course.

Its only turning into it because one or two are turning it into being about NZ.

Would help if someone from somewhere other than NZ, realised that things like "if you lose this year, you choked! If you win, it's just because your in your own backyard, lol!" are somewhat offensive and actually told them to cover something else. I don't want this to turn into a slinging match, rather than an interesting debate on the psychology of why teams don't win when it would seem the possibly should.

Still, if slinging matches are all okay and what we want, just tell me and I can really get into this. :D