• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The psychology of choking

I was just looking for a few more examples and came across Tim Henman. Now that is truly disgraceful. He was certainly anything but a choker... He was just ****! I remember the days... Wimbledon's coming up, maybe Henman will get near the Semi's this year! Yet we all knew he would be out in the second round to a non-seeded player.

Anthony Mundine losing to Garth Wood has to be a recent example, although he has now won back his ***le.

I wish there wasn't a thing such as choking, otherwise Aberdeen wouldn't have been knocked out of the Scottish Cup by lower league opposition so many times in the last decade most of the defeats have thankfully been erased from memory.

We have been in quite a few semis for the last 10 years since our last final appearance, and every time our players go into a match they brick it because they know that either themselves or their teamates were involved in chokes in the past.

Zander Diamond GTF

Hardly sacking Gareth Jenkins was a choke. The man made a meal of coaching Wales, arguably the worst rugby I can remember watching in my lifetime of watching Wales. Jenkins had dug his own grave with what had gone on, granted the players played poorly but under him Jenkins had it wrong. His coaching staff, players etc were all wrong. Saying that the WRU could have waited at least a week instead of the morning after to sack him. WRU made the first mistake when they let Ruddock go and Jenkins sacking was a snowball affect from Ruddockgate. Again goes back to my point on how I define choking, which is reasonable if you ask me. I can guarantee you RC you were also looking for Jenkins head when we exited the WC, I'm not going to deny that I wanted Jenkins sacked, I never wanted him to coach Wales, he was a good regional / club level coach but was not good enough to cope with top level coaching.

Yup, i was furious about our exit in the pool stages. I was furious with the players and more than that i was furious with the coaching staff.
However, i was not saying sacking Gareth Jenkins was a joke. I was saying the manner in which he was sacked was despicable.
There is a certain dignity and respect everyone should be able to leave with. Yeah, GJ messed things up badly and he was a terrible national coach, but to sack him the morning after was not fair. What i was trying to stress was that professionally speaking, the WRU choked.

Latest posts