• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Question Thread

I just tried that. Put their stats down to 78 overall against England. I works. Got the trophy. Feel a bit empty for it though....

Does anyone bother to toggle/choose different ruck support strategies during a match? Does it make any difference to winning rucks or is it just a useless gimmick?
Yes it does and is very important if playing on Hard. As turnover happens far more frequently!

Oh & LINE outs are a bit trickier against the computer , one tip is dont throw it in stright away , wait a few seconds first ( about 5 secs ),
tht seems to help a bit , & try & spot where you have an advantage , like if your 1st catcher is taller than their 1st catcher, then throw it to him quite often , but change it sometimes just to keep em guessing .

When its their throw in its harder to win obviously, but you can still get it sometimes, you have a 1 in 3 chance if you just guess front , middle or back before they throw it in,
and then press your chosen butten the second you see some movement.

oh and against the computer i tend to use the front guy or the middle guy most, i seem to have the least luck when i throw it to the back guy.

Isn't anyone using the 'thumb covering 2 buttons' technique when attempting to nick the ball at oppos lineouts? On 360, place right thumb between the A and B buttons (thumb touching both). Wait for the little movement in the lineout, and press corresponding button for either front or middle jumper. Prior to this I would just guess one of the three. Have tried this on medium difficulty and it seems to work well.

Any one else bored of this game already?

I've had this game for a couple of days and i am already bored of it. I've won the world cup as England on hard and don't really have an interest of winning it as fiji or south africa (as this game highlights as another attraction). I also think it's a bit rubbish that the England team is wearing their 2007 kit, why didnt HP studios bother updating it?!!

Now i've won the world cup i'm wondering what i should do next, these warm up tours are alright but I could do this just by selecting international matches in the order i wanted to play them. The only reason why i still use this game now is to play with friends but in terms of longevity, this game doesn't have much to offer. I'm now just going to wait impatiently for rugby challenge to come out.

Also, does anyone one else find it annoying how with Australia and New Zealand they've completely changed the names altogether to something completely different, i know they don't have the rights to them but can't they just change the names by a couple of letters like they did on Brian Lara cricket so we could at least know who they are supposed to be? It's not really the world cup if half the teams are completely wrong!!

Anyone else share my concerns?

Isn't anyone using the 'thumb covering 2 buttons' technique when attempting to nick the ball at oppos lineouts? On 360, place right thumb between the A and B buttons (thumb touching both). Wait for the little movement in the lineout, and press corresponding button for either front or middle jumper. Prior to this I would just guess one of the three. Have tried this on medium difficulty and it seems to work well.

I turn the controller side ways, then have my thumb on A, index on B and middle on Y. Get turn over quite often from lineouts, balances out the amount I loose on my own throw lol

I've had this game for a couple of days and i am already bored of it. I've won the world cup as England on hard and don't really have an interest of winning it as fiji or south africa (as this game highlights as another attraction). I also think it's a bit rubbish that the England team is wearing their 2007 kit, why didnt HP studios bother updating it?!!

Now i've won the world cup i'm wondering what i should do next, these warm up tours are alright but I could do this just by selecting international matches in the order i wanted to play them. The only reason why i still use this game now is to play with friends but in terms of longevity, this game doesn't have much to offer. I'm now just going to wait impatiently for rugby challenge to come out.

Also, does anyone one else find it annoying how with Australia and New Zealand they've completely changed the names altogether to something completely different, i know they don't have the rights to them but can't they just change the names by a couple of letters like they did on Brian Lara cricket so we could at least know who they are supposed to be? It's not really the world cup if half the teams are completely wrong!!

Anyone else share my concerns?

Did you put in the code to unlock the kits? When the game was sent for submission they hadn't passed all the tests so they had to lock it out. Just need to get the code of the web page it says and all kits will be up to date.

As for the names being very different. That was the agreement that they wouldn't make a joke out the licences by having very subtle changes.

Not bored of it yet. I try not to kick ball away or use set pieces. Trying to run from your 22 and luring the defenders and timing passes perfectly is much more rewarding. I also always try to do fancy tries such as chipping over into space and have a different player collect it. Again its risky and gives a lot of ball way but its great fun

Last edited:
Is there any way of practicing set pieces? Or is it just trial and error during a match. The only one I can do is the 'pocket' one. I try the 'loop' one but the guy who receives the ball from the SH just throws it to ground. Have tried pressing the Y button 1) as soon as it is shown on screen, and 2) when the guy who receives pass gets it....ball gets passed to ground. The 'miss pass' set piece just defies the laws of physics when I try to play it. Any tips? Or are there any better set pieces to choose? Thanks.

I turn the controller side ways, then have my thumb on A, index on B and middle on Y. Get turn over quite often from lineouts, balances out the amount I loose on my own throw lol

Even better. I just left the throw to the back and highlight nearest defender and tackle catcher. Will try the 3 finger technique!

PS3 or 360 version? Controller doesnt bother me on this game based of the demo's but I might pick it up tomorrow but cant decide on platform :/ is there any current advantages for one over the other?

I dunno if any one has noticed but man tualagi has not been added to the England team, and a s a big fan I really want to play with him. Does anyone know any stats that they think would match his in real life so I can add him to the game..Thanks:D

No idea. I know RC has outsold it by a large margin in the markets they've released that in, but I reckon RWC has done well in Europe.

New to rugby and this game...how do you scrum?!?

Thread ***le says it all, slate me or take the Mick but I genuinely have no idea what to do? I'm enjoying the game and rugby looks like something I could get into but i have no clue as to what 'driving' and hooking is? And tbh why neither buttons 'X' or 'left stick' are doing anything!

In a scrum, the scrum half feeds the ball in to start it (he rolls it into the middle of the scrum). You press A on Xbox and X on PS3.

Next, the hooker hooks the ball to the back of the scrum (he uses his feet to kick the ball backwards to where it can be passed out from). Press X on Xbox or Square on PS3.

In addition to this, when the ball is fed in, the forwards drive (this just means pushing together to try and force the other team back) so you hold the left stick in the direction you want to push (straight into the opposition) when the ball is fed.

The timing is summat you'll get used to, you want to feed the ball in, straight away start pushing but just give it a second before pressing the button to hook the ball back. You'll get used to it mate!

Oh I understand now, very informative reply mate cheers! I just still can't seem to drive the scrum even after I feed it in the ball wait a second and hook :(

Great to have a rugby game on Xbox but somewhat disappointing!

I've played the game for a few days now and while I do enjoy playing it I feel not much has really moved on from Rugby 08.

Things that seem the same

- Player bunching and moving in synchronisation
- AI never misses a kick at goal
- AI rucking vastly superior (both at retaining and turnover)
- Nonsensical commentary comments
- Gaps in the defence are exactly the same and easy to run through
- Much easier to score tries using sideline camera (is this really because it's easy to spot or move into gaps???)
- User AI controlled players often give away penalties for high tackles
- Useless replays showing literally the least important part of the try

Regressions / annoying things
- Bug at maul - Scrum awarded to AI team as I threw the ball out. Told me the ball was stuck in the maul
- AI can kick from deep in their 22 to deep into my 22
- AI can kick off at restart to the right and catch the ball every single time
- AI "guesses" my line out strategy every single time and often wins the ball
- 3D crowd in perfect sync
- No easy way to import player profiles on xbox to fix licensing issues
- Camera modes are diabolical. When the camera zooms out on overhead mode I can barely see what is going on when playing from my couch at a 37" screen
- lack of teams and competition modes
- AI does constant drop goals (and succeeds!)

Improvements
- Defence /Rucking system switching is cool but not sure how effective it is
- Momentum for the forwards much improved
- Nicer graphics
- Set plays easier to initiate

The main annoyances for me are the lineouts and AI never missing a goal kick. I just can't believe the goal kicking issue still infects this game. The lineout regression is very annoying.

As many have commented this game is basically a 08 make over with little improvement and lots of newer issues. Why can't they get it right?

Here's hoping the Sidhe game is better.

Rating : 5/10

Last edited:
Need Help

Ok i have looked around the forums and cannot find anything that really helps me. I always get a penalty when there are rucks. I have tried to use the a button and then i tap the r3 button as well. These always lead to penalties but i lose my rucks all the time......it is getting a bit annoying. I am just curious because I am just getting steam rolled constantly. I was dominating on the demo but things just seem to be completely different in the full version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also is there a better way to tackle in this game....I miss constantly if I dive or use the sprint button and am not fast enough without the sprint button. Thanks. Also perhaps this is important but I am playing with the U.S.

I didnt read your whole post but I just wanted to point out that there are 3 replays shown after a try. the first 2 are the ball being grounded then the next one is much longer and starts at the phase before you scored so you can usually get to see line breaks and offloads etc.

ps online play is challenging when you get matched up against someone who knows what they are doing, like me, if you want a challenge add me on XBL: Butterytingz

when you tap the R3 button you are telling one of your players to use their hands in the ruck, therefore you get penalized. to win rucks you have to repeatedly tap the A button just dont fill up the bar too much because you can also get penalized for doing this. try playing on medium and use a good team against an average team to learn the basics of this game. hope my advice helps. good luck

Latest posts