• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Reconstruction of Irish Rugby 2016

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...itish-and-irish-lions-next-year-34401286.html

I know cmac posted the balls.ie version in another thread but in this one Schmidt talks about Sexton and says he has passed all the protocols. As well as that he says he hasn't had a head injury since his rest period. I know many people are dubious and I share some misgivings but it really is something to come out and say it directly to the press in terms of potential liability if he's lying anyway.

Funny thin is they wouldn't even make the latest Irish 35 man squad.

Andy Howell is monumental moron and his opinion pieces are virtually always poo. But whilst I know Gethin is well past his peak now, the idea he wouldn't even make Ireland's extended squad is absurd.

But whilst I know Gethin is well past his peak now, the idea he wouldn't even make Ireland's extended squad is absurd.

Not convinced. While you might not have seen much of James Cronin or Kyle McCall, they both could make big impacts on the 6N - and McCall isn't even in the squad.

I personally would have both in my squad ahead of Jenkins.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/2016/0127/763316-joe-schmidt/

Joe Schmidt has warned he will not throw Ireland's young guns into the fray before their time as he fears the unforgiving Test arena could destroy their confidence.
The head coach revealed he had spoken to both exciting Leinster centre Garry Ringrose and Munster No 8 Jack O'Donoghue about their development as he looks to handle Ireland's rising crop of talent with care.

Sounds bad already.

Andy Howell is monumental moron and his opinion pieces are virtually always poo. But whilst I know Gethin is well past his peak now, the idea he wouldn't even make Ireland's extended squad is absurd.

There's only two looseheads in our 6N squad so it's hardly absurd.

Sounds bad already.

Don't think that sounds bad at all really, certainly neither Ringrose or JO'D are ready for test rugby yet. Just throwing all young players in rarely works either. I expect the progression to work like Henshaw's. He was involved in training squads and off the bench a few times. Then when he needed to start he was ready and at 22 looks like he was born for test rugby, I don't think it would have happened the same way if he'd just been thrown in. The only players Schmidt mentions by name who are actually in the squad or Dillane and VDF who I think definitely aren't ready to be thrown in either.

Notably the young player he doesn't mention is McCloskey which suggests he might well get a go and he is the most test match ready of the younger players. I didn't talk about Stander because he's 25 and is guaranteed to at least be in the 23.

Urgh, WalesOnline. Learned many moons ago to stay well away from that shoddy outfit. Clickbait and nothing more, not worth any sane Ireland (or indeed Wales) fan's time. Jenkins is still a quality player though despite his weakness in the scrum as of late. Don't know enough about the Irish props to argue about who's better. We'll see on the day!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...itish-and-irish-lions-next-year-34401286.html

I know cmac posted the balls.ie version in another thread but in this one Schmidt talks about Sexton and says he has passed all the protocols. As well as that he says he hasn't had a head injury since his rest period. I know many people are dubious and I share some misgivings but it really is something to come out and say it directly to the press in terms of potential liability if he's lying anyway.

Maybe it's true and then again maybe it's not. However I will say I hope there's no hiding as Sexton would be foolish to gamble health.
And I know Schmidt is very knowledgable on the brain and it's injuries. He spoke before of learning all about it because his son suffers from epilepsy so I'd like to think he wouldn't bluff either as he's educated more than most coaches in that area.

There's only two looseheads in our 6N squad so it's hardly absurd.

Don't think that sounds bad at all really, certainly neither Ringrose or JO'D are ready for test rugby yet. Just throwing all young players in rarely works either. I expect the progression to work like Henshaw's. He was involved in training squads and off the bench a few times. Then when he needed to start he was ready and at 22 looks like he was born for test rugby, I don't think it would have happened the same way if he'd just been thrown in. The only players Schmidt mentions by name who are actually in the squad or Dillane and VDF who I think definitely aren't ready to be thrown in either.

Notably the young player he doesn't mention is McCloskey which suggests he might well get a go and he is the most test match ready of the younger players. I didn't talk about Stander because he's 25 and is guaranteed to at least be in the 23.

Everything here.

If I'm forced to watch another 6N of Ireland only advancing through box kicks though, with McCloskey twiddling his thumbs, I won't be amused though.

Yeah I don't think that raises warning signs. Barring injury Dillane and VDF were never likely to see any game time, but getting an inside track on the Schmidt way of doing things at such a young age will stand to them in a year. Other guys who are actually the form players in their positions and appear completely ready for test level not being picked is what will really annoy me. Continuity is important but if it's at the cost of building a team with a higher ceiling that's not acceptable. Of course that isn't actually the case as it stands, but given Schmidt's near obsession with having a clued in team punch clever, I can see why it's a concern, I just don't think it will come to pass. The guy's highly intelligent, will know that the game plan needs an overhaul in areas and isn't immune to public pressure.

There's a decent argument Dillane should be in the 23 given the other options to be fair.

I'd throw Dillane in the 23, we need two new second rows to come through in the next couple years and it's not like we're losing much, if anything at all by using him. I also want JvDF to have made his debut by the end of the SA tour at the latest and McCloskey to have started at least two games by the end of this tournament.

Jack certainly isn't ready. The last few months he's learnt about all roles in backrow and while he's struggled at 6 he's benefitted. He will benefit from few games at 8 now again too over next few weeks. I think Schmidt has been really good in his dealings with younger guys really.

Yeah fair enough, given the circumstances Dillane wouldn't be a bad shout for a bench spot

I'd throw Dillane in the 23, we need two new second rows to come through in the next couple years and it's not like we're losing much, if anything at all by using him. I also want JvDF to have made his debut by the end of the SA tour at the latest and McCloskey to have started at least two games by the end of this tournament.

That's where I expect the biggest change to happen.

The player will have had the previous camp experience and won't be playing in the competition the IRFU prioritises. It's a short turnaround after the Pro 12 final as well so chances are some players will be missing as well as the inevitable injury losses. It's three weeks against the most physical team in world rugby with a lot of travel and probably changing altitude a few times. I'd consider it very unlikely any player will play three games in a row. That's where players get a chance at test level.

That's not to say I'm against new faces in the team this 6N but I want the team that will give us the best chance to win. 4/15 of the starting team will be different anyway and the style of rugby will again change somewhat.

I will be very annoyed however if McCloskey doesn't make his debut this 6N but I somewhat expect he'll either be part of the team from the start or won't get a start unless there's an injury. That's mostly due to the timing of the Italy game.

Stuart Olding is starting for Ulster this weekend. He is another who could make the latter stages of the 6 nations. Who knows, maybe Ringrose might also feature at some stage.

The pack should be weakened from the world cup but the backline should be better, provided Schmidt picks the form players.

The backline I'd start with is

9 Murray
10 Jackson
11 Earls
12 McCloskey
13 Marshall
14 Trimble
15 Payne

Crazy that Henshaw isn't included but there are 5 games and I'd like to see players rotated. Marshall is in top form and is in tune with his Ulster teammates so it makes sense to give him the nod in that regard. Theres also an argument that Henshaw at 13 would be better suited to match the Welsh physicality. Sexton will start but how long will he last? He is very fragile physically although he is coming into form at the right time!

I'd also like to see Murray speed up his game.

Stuart Olding is starting for Ulster this weekend. He is another who could make the latter stages of the 6 nations. Who knows, maybe Ringrose might also feature at some stage.

The pack should be weakened from the world cup but the backline should be better, provided Schmidt picks the form players.

The backline I'd start with is

9 Murray
10 Jackson
11 Earls
12 McCloskey
13 Marshall
14 Trimble
15 Payne

Crazy that Henshaw isn't included but there are 5 games and I'd like to see players rotated. Marshall is in top form and is in tune with his Ulster teammates so it makes sense to give him the nod in that regard. Theres also an argument that Henshaw at 13 would be better suited to match the Welsh physicality. Sexton will start but how long will he last? He is very fragile physically although he is coming into form at the right time!

I'd also like to see Murray speed up his game.

Olding shouldn't be near 6Nations. Let him build up the minutes again with Ulster and just get back playing well then in the summer see what the story is. Ringrose the same. Let him develop more away from the limelight and then in summer (which is a tough tour physically) rotate and see guys more.

Can't see a Munster back three player starting myself, they've been far too shaky defensively. Especially if Payne goes to fullback, DK and Trimble is what my money is on and that's what I'd want if Payne is 15. Throw Earls in if Kearney starts 15.

Stuart Olding is starting for Ulster this weekend. He is another who could make the latter stages of the 6 nations.

Too much to ask.

The man has only played a handful of games in the past 2 years.

Myself I'd go with a backline of
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. Henshaw
13. Fitzgearld
14. Trimble
15. Payne

21. Reddan/Marmion
22. Jackson
23. D. Kearney

Any reason why pretty much no one wants Fitz to start?

- 'cos he is a known quantity (decent centre - and no more than that - also doesn't have the same performance ceiling as McCloskey, Henshaw, Olding & Aki - who have yet to realise their potential)
- 'cos he is gonna be 32 at next RWC.
- 'cos he is likely gonna be injured for significant portions of time between now and next RWC.

Latest posts