• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

Rafa has pulled out of USO so a tie at best Assuming he does turn up and play RG, which i am sure he will. a lot of the top women's players have already pulled out. May be Serena's best chance of a slam and tie the record.

It will be a weird US open without fans. Wonder if the players will have to pick up their own balls. Am sure a towel rack will be provided.

Djokovic just hit a lineswoman with a ball hit in anger at US Open. Should get defaulted.

And he's out by default.

Last edited:
Wawrinka v Murray first round at RG. Last time they met at RG was 3 years ago in an epic and broke the pair of them. Should be a good one.

Rafa v Novak final on in 4 min to decide the final slam of the year. Either Rafa ties Roger on 20 or Novak becomes first player to win each grand slam twice since Rod Laver. Looking forward to it.

She'd said she wouldn't speak to the media during the FO to protect her mental health. Then they threatened to ban her so she's now withdrawn.

Not sure how she can play in other grand slams if she won't speak to the media.

This has provoked a lot of reaction, both ways.

My take is the media stuff is just part of the job like living out of a suitcase, training, playing and fulfilling sponsor commitments. All jobs have elements you don't like or find difficult but just have to do.

Daft thing is that if they abolished post match interviews no-one would be any worse off. They're tedious, predictable and never insightful - I seldom watch them. But they're part of the contractual landscape and if you don't like the deal, don't sign up to it. Presumably top players are media trained to side step questions which are inappropriate or they don't want to answer.

I'm not downplaying the mental health side of it at all. But very high rewards come with significant pressures....in any profession. Does she find the whole lifestyle stressful with the media work being the worst part?

Yep, feel bad for Naomi, she needs help
And support not to feel forced to withdraw from a major.

Don't know whether players are media trained. They learn on the job. Not everyone can be like Federer and hold a press conference in four languages and enjoy it.

Remember Murray came out with one comment - "served like a woman today" and got torn to shreds afterwards and let's not forget the "anyone but England". These players aren't allowed to be themselves in these post match interviews.

I'd be astounded if players of her stature aren't media trained especially if it's something they struggle with. At the very least that help will almost certainly be readily available via her agents.

For those that can get behind the Times paywall there's an excellent article by Annabel Croft who walked away from the game at only 21 because she wasn't enjoying it. Absolutely nails it for me - very empathetic but also tough in her conclusions.

Naomi Osaka can be engaging and quirky – she just needs help

It's tough grind as a tennis player. Only the top say 150 make any money from it. The constant travelling from country to country might sound glamorous but after a while I am sure it can get pretty lonely as well which is why the top stars have big entourages. Plus the need to always win in tennis being one of the few sports where you can't draw; only win or
Lose means only the toughest mentally sustain their time at the top.

The Top stars will probably have a PR consultant to refer to, but lower down I very much doubt they will get media training. Through lack of time and they have to pay for their other expenses which take priority. Maybe there is a media officer for to give them some protection on the press conferences and to give them a 5/10 minute talk beforehand if needed but they are there hired by the tournaments, I would think.

I don't think it's Naomi's lack of media training for these press conferences rather she is dealing with a mental illness and the thought of her doing the press conferences brings about the "waves of anxiety" which triggers her depression. She needs support/treatment for the illness first before any training on how or what to say in these press conferences. That's the issue for me.

Whilst I enjoy the post-match analysis of most sport (especially F1 and Cricket) I do think the interview aspect in the immediate aftermath especially for the losers is something that can be shot in the foot. You have journo's baiting for quotes and an interviewee who is trying their best not to give them. Its a pretty useless aspect of the analysis and probably isn't great for the players. Also as we witness in the 6 nations can be horrible for journo's as well who are just doing what they are paid to do.

It's tough grind as a tennis player. Only the top say 150 make any money from it. The constant travelling from country to country might sound glamorous but after a while I am sure it can get pretty lonely as well which is why the top stars have big entourages. Plus the need to always win in tennis being one of the few sports where you can't draw; only win or
Lose means only the toughest mentally sustain their time at the top.

The Top stars will probably have a PR consultant to refer to, but lower down I very much doubt they will get media training. Through lack of time and they have to pay for their other expenses which take priority. Maybe there is a media officer for to give them some protection on the press conferences and to give them a 5/10 minute talk beforehand if needed but they are there hired by the tournaments, I would think.

I don't think it's Naomi's lack of media training for these press conferences rather she is dealing with a mental illness and the thought of her doing the press conferences brings about the "waves of anxiety" which triggers her depression. She needs support/treatment for the illness first before any training on how or what to say in these press conferences. That's the issue for me.
Agree with all that.

Obviously her welfare comes first. But if her condition is that bad then the final para of Croft's article questioning whether Osaka should be putting herself in the position of playing tournaments carries particular resonance.

Lol they had to stop Djokovic match last night to send spectators home to meet 11pm Paris time curfew before resuming the match.

Nadal v Djokovic tomorrow, if it's held at 8pm GMT? That would bound to go over curfew time.

Lol they had to stop Djokovic match last night to send spectators home to meet 11pm Paris time curfew before resuming the match.

Nadal v Djokovic tomorrow, if it's held at 8pm GMT? That would bound to go over curfew time.
Thankfully Novak v Rafa will be played not before 5.30pm GMT, so should give them enough time to finish before midnight Paris curfew . Still if it starts at say 7.30pm and is a 5 hour plus epic….

Latest posts