• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

Wasn't old enough to remember Borg retiring at 26. But looks similar. Shame she didn't continue to at least win the USO to complete the set.

Does anyone else have no sympathy or just me? Oh I earned lots of money, but then my own life choices lead me to be bankrupt, but it's that being public knowledge that is stopping me earning, not my own mismanagement of my money.

Why is having an expensive lifestyle an excuse? Do these people think because they had a certain lifestyle they are entitled to it forever? What do they think ordinary people do when they have a loss of income? Also what do injuries to his ankles and knees have to do with anything? Is he suggesting that if he could have played longer he would have had more money and avoided going bankrupt?

I'm sure someone will say like most wealthy athletes he probably just paid an accountant to do it for him. That doesn't wash with me. He may pay someone to look after his money, but ultimately he's still responsible.

Does anyone else have no sympathy or just me? Oh I earned lots of money, but then my own life choices lead me to be bankrupt, but it's that being public knowledge that is stopping me earning, not my own mismanagement of my money.

Why is having an expensive lifestyle an excuse? Do these people think because they had a certain lifestyle they are entitled to it forever? What do they think ordinary people do when they have a loss of income? Also what do injuries to his ankles and knees have to do with anything? Is he suggesting that if he could have played longer he would have had more money and avoided going bankrupt?

I'm sure someone will say like most wealthy athletes he probably just paid an accountant to do it for him. That doesn't wash with me. He may pay someone to look after his money, but ultimately he's still responsible.
A story of earning too much too young and then not knowing how to manage his money. Constrast to Pat Cash and IIRC his father invested his tennis earnings wisely for him.
Whereas BB Invested it/advised badly (recall he invested a bulk in Nigerian oil wells) and now lost most of it, plus couple marriages, illegitimate child to support later.

Funnily enough he was a client at my last firm I worked at.

Still he was One of my favourite tennis players growing up. Loved watching Boom Boom Becker.

Not sure how I feel about that - they're representing themselves, not their nation, as they would be at the Olympics, Commonwealth or Davis cup, for example.

There's a difference between "banning people from Russia" and "banning people who represent Russia"

Equally, I'm all in favour of banning the Russian national team from playing rugby matches at the moment. I'm not in favour of banning their players playing for non-Russian club teams. Granted it's less clear cut in solo events like tennis, but I think it's still a good guide. (That Russian F1 driver is a different matter, as IIRC he's the son of a sanctioned oligarch; and the podium includes flags and anthems)

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about that - they're representing themselves, not their nation, as they would be at the Olympics, Commonwealth or Davis cup, for example.

There's a difference between "banning people from Russia" and "banning people who represent Russia"
Yeah, I'm a little surprised they're going for it - as you said, it's different to the World Cup and the Paralympics (whose bans I get)

The UFC was in London a few weeks back and had a few Russian fighters on the card, they got a few pantomime boos when "Fighting out of WhateverTown, Russia" was announced, but there was no outrage (media or otherwise) that they were allowed to compete. At the end of the day it's their job, they're not representing Russia they're just Russian.

It is further complicated by the Russian Olympic Committee debacle, remember Tennis stars have their country listed next to their names at a major.

Its complicated, as noted knowing where the line is complex.

as IIRC he's the son of a sanctioned oligarch
Also that money from his father businesses and sponsorship of the team was directly linked to his having a drive rather than talent. I think we can directly say that was crossing the line.

The question is whether targeting indivduals helps or not in the public perception of Russia over these events. Is it indirect racism "all Russians are bad" or is it "the people of Russia must suffer consequences for their states actions so the people turn against them or those within the state to realise the consequence of their action". Good luck working out the answer.

Becker jailed for 2 and half years for hiding his assets to avoid paying his debts. What a fall from grace.
boris becker win GIF by History UK

Last edited:
Sad tale.

But given he'd had a previous conviction for tax evasion in Germany you can have sod all sympathy. And his sentence shows that no-one's above the law which is always a good message.

When he's released I guess he'll do OK from books, interviews etc.

Guess Henning Wehn now takes his mantle as Britain's favourite German.

Boils down to the important life lesson that applies to everyone of not living within your means and in his case not adapting post Tennis career. Sad, but he contributed to his own downfall.

This is sad. Remember her winning Junior Wimbledon at 14 and thinking she could be Wimbledon champion 10 years later. Just never know with injuries. Radacanu similar that she burst onto the scene but is now struggling on the main tour with her back. Hopefully she doesn't suffer the same fete.

Just going to say Raducanu isn't proving Eddie wrong with his comments
It's clay and many a young player have floundered at RG and being her first time playing there. Plus it's her second season (she's yet to play a full season on the WTA) and players start figuring out her game - the player who beat her much more experienced.

She just needs to steer clear of injury and play regularly on tour and also find a coach she will stick with. Repeat of US open win isn't likely to happen again soon.

Latest posts