• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

Have the likes of Nadal, Djokovic and Murray highlighted that you can actually push your body too far in search of excellence. Tennis especially seems to have an issue at the moment of the top players being plagued with injuries and not minor ones. Maybe it's always been there or is prevalent in most sports, but constantly having surgeries and injections just to play cannot be healthy. Rugby has rightly focused on the long term effects of head injuries, but some of these players could well have a poorer quality of life once they retire as well.

I know it's up to them, but like most sport stars they don't think of the future massively and they should.

Have the likes of Nadal, Djokovic and Murray highlighted that you can actually push your body too far in search of excellence. Tennis especially seems to have an issue at the moment of the top players being plagued with injuries and not minor ones. Maybe it's always been there or is prevalent in most sports, but constantly having surgeries and injections just to play cannot be healthy. Rugby has rightly focused on the long term effects of head injuries, but some of these players could well have a poorer quality of life once they retire as well.

I know it's up to them, but like most sport stars they don't think of the future massively and they should.
I suspect the new thing, is that they're continuing to play through them.
Has it ever happened before that 2 of the top 4 in the world were in the latter half of their 30s?

Wasn't Agassi the oldest Grand Slam winner 20 years ago, at 32?

I suspect the new thing, is that they're continuing to play through them.
Has it ever happened before that 2 of the top 4 in the world were in the latter half of their 30s?

Wasn't Agassi the oldest Grand Slam winner 20 years ago, at 32?
Federer won Wimbledon at 35 in 2017. But yes now Rafa has now become the oldest male grand slam champion.

Both Nadal and Djokovic have blown the whole not winning many slams past the age of 30. I think prior to them the most was 4 by Federer, Agassi and IIRC Connors. Now Nadal and Djokovic have won 8 majors past each past the age of 30. Quite incredible, but yes whether they suffer for it later on in life with their joints, I wouldn't bet against it.

These tennis GOATs aren't normal human beings and they must each love it - what else can they do in life where are still winning and playing in front of thousands? And keep that cash cow machine in terms of sponsorship and endorsements going. Most of the previous greats had enough of the injuries and the travelling to make them stop.

Yeh inevitable really. Last tournament her home slams at the Open, where she'll be on her best behaviour?

But although she'll likely not get to 24, she's the GOAT of women's tennis for me. What an impact she's had on the sport.

I just want A. Murray and S. Williams to pop at mixed doubles a couple times a year. Have some fun and get some love from the crowd.

Serena has barely played this year. Passing
Of the torch moment.

Nothing yet suggests that it's a passing the torch moment.
Don't get me wrong Raducanu played some amazing tennis in last years open but consistency is a whole other thing. People need to calm down on the hype still. (Granted as well as give her a break)

Nothing yet suggests that it's a passing the torch moment.
Don't get me wrong Raducanu played some amazing tennis in last years open but consistency is a whole other thing. People need to calm down on the hype still. (Granted as well as give her a break)
Agreed, for me the difference between great/fantastic and world class/best is consistency. So many people can do it now and again, but very few can do it consistently to be the best,

Oh for sure Emma hasn't been consistent this year. But neither has Serena been consistent either in terms of playing recently. Both need matches and wins before the Open. Can't see Emma repeating her Open win this year.

My point was more towards the passing of the torch comment really.
Yeh and my comment was really one great player's career is coming to and a potentially great player's career is beginning and they are Meeting. Not necessarily that one will beat the other.

Nice one Emma. Absolute clinic going by the score line. Will have to watch later.

Animated GIF

A second set bagel and apparently only one unenforced error.

Radacanu has all the raw ingredients. Add in a bit of experience on tour, coaching stability and better conditioning / injury prevention and you've got a pretty potent combination.

D'oh! Didn't expect her to repeat her run last year but also not to go out so tamely. Still a very tough, experienced first round opponent which just exposed her inconsistency this year.

Still early in her career to turn it around. But a lot of hard work ahead for her if she is to fulfil her potential.

Other than the Williams sisters, women's tennis has IMO been plagued by inconsistency since Henin retired. Virtually no-one else seems to reach the upper echelons, and stay there for multiple years.
I don't think it's an excess of talent, so they're all scrapping either, I think there's just a generation's worth who can just blow hot and cold.
Though I do wonder how much of that is so many of the ladies bringing the power game that might just be unsustainable, both personally, and for opponents.

Latest posts