• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

The risk being; behind our pack he doesn't get front foot ball too often, cannot really shine* and drops down the pecking order in Joe's eyes.

*conversely, if he is able to shine by showing excellent game management skills and leading a fairly poor set of forwards around the field, he'd be seen as twice the outhalf he is now.
Your pack is getting slightly better next season, if I'm not mistaken you could field McCall, Best, Moore, O'Connor/Treadwell, Henderson, Reidy, Murphy, Timoney Not exactly world beaters but should allow you to compete with most European packs that don't wear blue. Its definitely a good enough platform to improve for an internationally capped 10.

What are the chances of Ulster's new NIQ 10 being Ruan Pienaar? Would go some way towards sorting out a few problems.

His family remain in Belfast so he'd settle easily. His signing would instantly lift the mood of a disgruntled fan base. He'd be an experienced mentor for Johnny McPhillips, Michael Lowry and Angus Curtis. His versatility means he'd act as backup 9 which is also a problem position and his influence could rub off on John Cooney and Jonny Stewart.

Whether or not he'd agree to a salary drop to return would be a factor as would the IRFU's willingness to see a NIQ player in the 10 shirt which is precisely why he lost his contract as a 9 last season.

I can't see it, better 10's around for less money too.

I can't see it either but it would make a lot of sense.

Agree there are better 10s around but Ulster and their fans need a big morale boost. There's no other potential signing that could do that for them. He'd play 10 alongside John Cooney or 9 with Johnny McPhillips outside him.

From the perspective of the IRFU, Ross Byrne, Joey Carbery or Ian Madigan joining would be preferable to re-signing Pienaar.

Sign a new loosehead and Ulster's pack looks decent. Depth is non existent though.

Louis Ludik, Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Ruan Pienaar, John Cooney; AN Other, Rory Best, Marty Moore, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson, Marcell Coetzee, Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy

That's a full strength team which should qualify for the Pro14 playoffs and challenge strongly to qualify a the Champions Cup quarter final.

Ulster should look to get Peter Dooley orbed Byrne up from Leinster. Both are very good and could be internationals if they get a run of games (especially Dooley.) Obviously little game time with Healy and McGrath but that would change if they went up to Ulster where they could be potentially be first choice. If they can't get one of the Leinster lads at 10 they should look at Bill Johnstone from Munster. An NIQ isn't ideal but would be understandable. Pienaar, Jackson and Piutau are all leaving/have left so there should be some cash to spend.

Ulster should look to get Peter Dooley orbed Byrne up from Leinster. Both are very good and could be internationals if they get a run of games (especially Dooley.) Obviously little game time with Healy and McGrath but that would change if they went up to Ulster where they could be potentially be first choice. If they can't get one of the Leinster lads at 10 they should look at Bill Johnstone from Munster. An NIQ isn't ideal but would be understandable. Pienaar, Jackson and Piutau are all leaving/have left so there should be some cash to spend.
Absolutely they should target Dooley or Byrne. So very underrated and capable of being standout players. Not sure Johnston would be their answer either. Firstly he may want to compete with the 10s in Munster and if not has apparently got some interest abroad, secondly is his injury profile and thirdly he has about as much experience as McPhillips at this stage given how little he's played. Ulster need a guy with a lot of experience immediately imo, with McPhillips being a decent project backup.

Johnstone wouldn't be perfect but he'd provide competition at the very least which they desperately need but tbh if I were him I'd definitely stay in Munster where he could compete with their 10s. From an Irish POV Byrne/Carbery makes the most sense but if that doesn't happen an NIQ or Madigan (if they can afford him which they probably can't) is the best option. Best move for all parties would probably be a one year deal for Carbery with an option to go back after that.

A pic of Big Joe seen talking with lil Joey and his agent doing the rounds, Irish Times saying it's one step closer to happening. Qualify for Europe and he's your man I imagine.

Does anyone know the status of Marcell Coetzee? Expected return date etc.

A Lions tour prematurely ending a career... Well I never!

Hard luck to him and I hope he's a great coach.
Not the Lions fault here though. Concussion symptoms were at him well before that. He pulled out of an Irish game with them before.

Payne was always going to walk the coaching route. Good move for him and consolation for a career cut seriously short.

Does anyone know the status of Marcell Coetzee? Expected return date etc.

My understanding is that he is expected back for pre-season. By all accounts the second ACL surgery has gone well and his rehab has gone to schedule.

It can't be underestimated the effect that a fully fit Coetzee would have on Ulster's pack. Let's hope we see it.

My understanding is that he is expected back for pre-season. By all accounts the second ACL surgery has gone well and his rehab has gone to schedule.

It can't be underestimated the effect that a fully fit Coetzee would have on Ulster's pack. Let's hope we see it.

6. Reidy 7/8. Murphy/Coetzee 20. Timoney

That's a hell of a backrow, not quite Leinster quality, slightly behind Munster too but my God Ulster fans won't know what they're watching!

Latest posts