• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

If I'm the IRFU, I'm pressing one of Ross Byrne or Joey Carbery to join Ulster now.

When the sponsors came out and said they'd need to review their association with Ulster should the players be kept on, that sealed their fate.

We'll now see if the Exeter rumours are true.

The issue was also Bank Of Ireland were threatening to pull plug on deals with Munster and Leinster too.

Still a mucky scenario where guilty per IRFU effectively but not by the courts. Admittedly it for different reasons but I don't know do IRFU have tonpay the lads off or what

It was always going to happen under the NI legal system. The standard of proof is significantly lower for employers to dismiss employees than it is to prosecute innocent men. Those whatsapp messages sealed their fate, if it was under the Irish system no one would have been exposed to that info, not even the IRFU, and they'd have been fine. Their justice system let them down as much as it let's victims down.

Edit: I also heard rumours that Vodafone and Kingspan we're out if they stayed, not from anything close to a primary source though so take it with a pinch.

In the age when perception is more important than evidence I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

This kind of cultural response is the reason I feared Jackson and Olding might have faced 5 or 6 years in jail even if their wasn't much evidence. When they are old and grey they will look back on that female witness opening the door to the bedroom as the single best thing to have ever happened in their life - their lives may have been truly destroyed but for that. I hope they get suitable financial compensation from this (although that seems unlikely) and hope they get to continue their careers.

I think it would have been the same response in Edinburgh to be honest, so I'm not singling out Ulster or Northern Ireland. Hardie took coke and got fired. Bradbury got drunk and fell over and got stripped of his captaincy and placed on the bench for near on 6 months. A shame as Edinburgh would probably have been the best fit imaginable for Jackson from a playing sense but they wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Clubs and sponsors are entitled to their own opinion on matters and to carry out internal discipline. They must have some seriously tight contracts to be able to sack them over this though.

Had this happened in the south of Ireland, there'd be no sanction because the accused wouldn't have been named unless found guilty.

Clubs and sponsors are entitled to their own opinion on matters and to carry out internal discipline. They must have some seriously tight contracts to be able to sack them over this though.
Normally when a coach is fired, it's dressed up as a "mutual agreement" to save face for the newly unemployed party. Not in this case though. That tells me that the contract must have been water tight. It also sends a strong message that the IRFU won't tolerate demeaning behaviour. That will appease the sponsors.

From a rugby perspective, it leaves Ulster in a massive bind. Their backline depth which looked so strong 18 months ago has been eroded. As I said earlier, if I'm the IRFU, I'm pushing one of Joey Carbery or Ross Byrne towards Ulster to boost international depth. It'd be a massive opportunity for Byrne in particular as he'd go from 3rd to 1st choice at provincial level immediately andwould jump to international pecking order. Bill Johnston also falls into this category.

In the age when perception is more important than evidence I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

This kind of cultural response is the reason I feared Jackson and Olding might have faced 5 or 6 years in jail even if their wasn't much evidence. When they are old and grey they will look back on that female witness opening the door to the bedroom as the single best thing to have ever happened in their life - their lives may have been truly destroyed but for that. I hope they get suitable financial compensation from this (although that seems unlikely) and hope they get to continue their careers.

I think it would have been the same response in Edinburgh to be honest, so I'm not singling out Ulster or Northern Ireland. Hardie took coke and got fired. Bradbury got drunk and fell over and got stripped of his captaincy and placed on the bench for near on 6 months. A shame as Edinburgh would probably have been the best fit imaginable for Jackson from a playing sense but they wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

TBF Cockers doesn't mind that stuff but Bradbury got injured and missed a game because of his actions so Cockers was completely right to strip him of his captaincy and TBH Richie and Mata at 6 and 8 where playing very well.

will actually be interested as to where they will go. I can't see a club in the UK taking them. France/Italy is a possibility. As is Japan and South African. Not sure about New Zealand or Australia.

I think (along with quite a few fellow ulster supporters) that whilst the decision was not preferential, its an understandable outcome and the Province needs to move on from this saga. My only bone of contention is how the media out-lash was a massive factor in all this and that surely played a massive part in influencing the sponsors to push for this outcome. The main thing for Ulster now is to basically 'get over it'. Not sure if any of the Ulster fans on here are members on the Ulster Rugby Supporters Club page on FB, but it just seems that post after post talks about protesting the URFC decision, or refusing to re-new their season tickets. Those decisions are entirely their call, but continued public grumbling will ultimately not change the decision.

The priorities this off-season is obviously
1. appointing a Director of Rugby & Head Coach. One with a bit of vision and will not only help the team on the pitch, but push the Academy boys to make the next step. Some have come through in recent years, but the Leinster Academy is the benchmark in Northern Hemisphere Talent development and we are nowhere near that (Stockdale, Henderson, Robert Lyttle aside).
2. Figure out the Out-Half quandary - As much as McPhillips has done ok, he just hasn't given me the impression he will ever play at the top level. There are young academy players like Michael Lowry who could step up but it all depends on his physical development as he is quite lightweight. The other options i guess are Byrne or Carberry from Leinster or to sign JJ Hanrahan or Madigan.

The front row could also use a bit of beefing up. We signed Schalk van der Merve and he has been so awful he wouldn't look out of place playing Junior Rugby!!!

Lads just to add in. Hope Ulster fans do fill Kingspan the weekend. It's times like now they should pull together.
Also 2 lads play final home game. Paul Marshall and Tommy No We. Paul has done superb service to Ulster. And Tommy. Well Irish rugby has benefited massively from Tommy over the years and the story of his career is phenomenal.

Also Ulster need the win

Rumours that Andy Friend will be the new head coach. Jim Mallinder has also been mentioned.

Given Jim Mallinder was unable to see how the game changed from 2010, and unable to adapt, I'd rather not thanks.

The NZ Womens coach was also mooted. A friend of Joe's - so maybe a better bet if we are looking to get guys up the road from Ballsbridge*.

*Although, I think its clear at this point the lads aren't (and very understandably so - I wouldn't move if I were them either) keen.

I think, maybe, our next best option might be to convince Gareth Steenson (who has recently lost the first choice 10 jersey at the Chiefs) to come home. He can then mentor our three young guys (McPhillips, Curtis and Lowry) and bring them on through the season while being a wise old head for when (if) the young guns are flaking under pressure.

Steenson is another stopgap, but a native one with a huge wealth of experience and a way more legit option that Stephen Donald for instance. I think he mentioned in interviews wanting to finish his career in Exeter, but I may have made that up. I think if Ulster were to offer a player coach role he may be tempted.
How a struggling team could offer Mallinder a job I don't understand. Know nothing about Friend honestly other than he's done the rounds in a lot of different environments.

Steeno isn't worth it, if he was he'd have been here long ago, you'd be better paying over the odds to keep McPhillips. (who's really the only winner in this)

If I was the IRFU I'd be giving Carbery big incentives to go if Ulster make Europe. Pay rise, 1 year in Ulster and player option between Ster and Ulster thereafter. Being a leader would really help JC right now.

If I was the IRFU I'd be giving Carbery big incentives to go if Ulster make Europe. Pay rise, 1 year in Ulster and player option between Ster and Ulster thereafter. Being a leader would really help JC right now.

The risk being; behind our pack he doesn't get front foot ball too often, cannot really shine* and drops down the pecking order in Joe's eyes.

*conversely, if he is able to shine by showing excellent game management skills and leading a fairly poor set of forwards around the field, he'd be seen as twice the outhalf he is now.

What are the chances of Ulster's new NIQ 10 being Ruan Pienaar? Would go some way towards sorting out a few problems.

His family remain in Belfast so he'd settle easily. His signing would instantly lift the mood of a disgruntled fan base. He'd be an experienced mentor for Johnny McPhillips, Michael Lowry and Angus Curtis. His versatility means he'd act as backup 9 which is also a problem position and his influence could rub off on John Cooney and Jonny Stewart.

Whether or not he'd agree to a salary drop to return would be a factor as would the IRFU's willingness to see a NIQ player in the 10 shirt which is precisely why he lost his contract as a 9 last season.

What are the chances of Ulster's new NIQ 10 being Ruan Pienaar? Would go some way towards sorting out a few problems.

His family remain in Belfast so he'd settle easily. His signing would instantly lift the mood of a disgruntled fan base. He'd be an experienced mentor for Johnny McPhillips, Michael Lowry and Angus Curtis. His versatility means he'd act as backup 9 which is also a problem position and his influence could rub off on John Cooney and Jonny Stewart.

Whether or not he'd agree to a salary drop to return would be a factor as would the IRFU's willingness to see a NIQ player in the 10 shirt which is precisely why he lost his contract as a 9 last season.

Nice idea kinda... only flaw would be RP isn't a "great" 10. [I know some will disagree, but he is twice the player at scrumhalf.]

Latest posts