• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ulster Thread

Ulster could have a decent pack next year if the best players keep fit.
1. Dunno (I'll keep saying it, Peter Dooley is good enough to be an Ireland no.1 in the future)
2. Best/Herring (Best won't play much)
3. Moore
4. Henderson
5. Treadwell
6. Reidy
7. Coetzee
8. Murphy.

That'll compete with everyone in Europe.

6. Reidy 7/8. Murphy/Coetzee 20. Timoney

That's a hell of a backrow, not quite Leinster quality, slightly behind Munster too but my God Ulster fans won't know what they're watching!

Wouldn't be the best in the world at the lineout though.

6. Henderson
7. Murphy
8. Coetzee

I'd take that!

[With Ross Maloney and Treadwell in the row]

That's a hell of a backrow, not quite Leinster quality, slightly behind Munster too but my God Ulster fans won't know what they're watching!

Wouldn't be the best in the world at the lineout though.

6. Henderson
7. Murphy
8. Coetzee

I'd take that!

[With Ross Maloney* and Treadwell in the row]

*assuming he sees the way the wind is blowing in D4 and decides to make for pastures new.

I'm not convinced that Treadwell is all that at the minute. He certainly has some potential but on this seasons form I would take Alan O'Connor over him every day of the week.

Also expect to see Nick Timoney feature heavily in the backrow - I've no doubt he will keep improving.

My understanding is that he is expected back for pre-season. By all accounts the second ACL surgery has gone well and his rehab has gone to schedule.

It can't be underestimated the effect that a fully fit Coetzee would have on Ulster's pack. Let's hope we see it.

I am reliably informed that his rehab is going well and he is expected to be back for next season.

Shame that his name has featured in a lot of the negativity around ulster "signing duds". a very useful player to have so i hope he can have a 'breakout season'. Far more use than Deysel has been!!

For me Murphy, Timoney & Coetzee are the starters - Timoney was poached from the Leinster academy and has been one of our standout players this season.

Well any backrow with talent available to them in the form of Dan Leavy, Jack Conan, Josh VDF, Rhys Ruddock, etc is going to be difficult to match. The most impressive aspect of that is, they are all Irish/Irish Qualified players! Leinster have definitely hit a Golden generation of players and the number of young lads starting for Ulster and Ireland is a testament to their ability to produce.

I see Dan Soper has joined the coaching ticket. Heard rumours last week, but just been told - didn't realise it had went official.

Good move. Knows the club scene inside out up here and well respected across the province. Hopefully will be able to add a few club players to the wider squad that will give a bit of depth. [As well as being an excellent coach in his own right.]

Ruan Pienaar's family have moved back to Belfast. Interestingly, so has Francois Steyn's family... read into that what you will.

Ruan Pienaar's family have moved back to Belfast. Interestingly, so has Francois Steyn's family... read into that what you will.
In fairness Ruans family never fully left Belfast. They visit the Bothas here in Limerick often and Ruan always said Belfast was the family location for post rugby

In fairness Ruans family never fully left Belfast. They visit the Bothas here in Limerick often and Ruan always said Belfast was the family location for post rugby

Post rugby yeah.. but isn't Pienaar contracted at Montpellier until 2019?

I think you hit the nail on the head with Ruan's family never fully leaving Belfast.

Francois Steyn's family moving leads to some interesting speculative thoughts on a grim Monday afternoon! Would be a very capable signing if true!

Yes but he has handed in his intention to retire. Wasn't that blamed as 1 of the reasons they lost Top14 final

Fair enough, haven't been in the loop much with rugby news recently so I did not know that. Wonder if Ulster would / could buy out one year of his contract to get him back as a coach developing a 10.

More interested in Steyn tbh. I haven't heard any rumours about him being signed, but surely his family moving to Belfast is a pretty big deal?

Fair enough, haven't been in the loop much with rugby news recently so I did not know that. Wonder if Ulster would / could buy out one year of his contract to get him back as a coach developing a 10.

More interested in Steyn tbh. I haven't heard any rumours about him being signed, but surely his family moving to Belfast is a pretty big deal?
Steyn is more a mystery.
But on Ruan isn't the rumour he is coming back to coach. Certainly makes sense as he has Ulster at heart also

Steyn is more a mystery.
But on Ruan isn't the rumour he is coming back to coach. Certainly makes sense as he has Ulster at heart also

Yeah Ruan to coach is the big rumour. He has apparently indicated that he wants out of the last year of his contract with Montpellier.

Dunno if its wise or not having RP back as a coach.

This might appear as sacrilege, but its not as if he produced a stream of top quality scrum-halves under his wing while here...

Yes, his ability at 9 allowed Jackson to (eventually) become a top level 10, but is that more to Jackson's massive exposure as first choice 10 very early in his career than anything else. While some of that was undoubtedly due to RP being able to control the game from 9, that is not something he can do as a coach.

Not sure on this being a wise move. At all.

[From someone who 100% supports the Jared Payne to defence coach move.]

Dunno if its wise or not having RP back as a coach.

This might appear as sacrilege, but its not as if he produced a stream of top quality scrum-halves under his wing while here...

Yes, his ability at 9 allowed Jackson to (eventually) become a top level 10, but is that more to Jackson's massive exposure as first choice 10 very early in his career than anything else. While some of that was undoubtedly due to RP being able to control the game from 9, that is not something he can do as a coach.

Not sure on this being a wise move. At all.

[From someone who 100% supports the Jared Payne to defence coach move.]

Inclined to agree with you as usual Amiga, however the moral boost he'd bring for the club and supporters may well be something that's needed. Also, if it helps Steyn or another Springbok make the move that's another positive.

Have it on good authority that Coetzee is aiming for the 1st/2nd game of the reason for his return!

Would love to see Timoney - Coetzee - Murphy playing in the back row with Henderson operating out of the 2nd Row!

So 2 meter Pete (Browne) and big Red Dysel have both retired this week!

So 2 meter Pete (Browne) and big Red Dysel have both retired this week!

Squad players really, but still a loss.

Interestingly, Ulster only have van der merwe (...yeah who?) and Coetzee as overseas players. There is literally no chance in a month of sundays that van der merwe gets a new contract but Coetzee seems like he is playing his way into one!

Henry Speight is also overseas - although he's only here for a few months.

Latest posts