• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thinking about doing rugby

G

Gotann

Hi, I am 18 years old guy and go to Algonquin College. I live in Ottawa, Orleans and thinking of joining the Ottawa Scottish club, in the U21 men division.

Training sessions should start soon and I`m hoping to be part of it. However, I really want to be ready for this. Last time I decided to join the rugby team of my high school, but I really felt like an outsider and lost my confidence then decided to leave. Not the smartest choice I ever made, but I was feeling a lot of pressure. :cryy:

I`ve been training a lot to be ready for this. I mostly train my legs, plus I put weights on my legs sometimes, I guess I`m pretty fast but I need to compare with someone to be entirely sure. As for arms, I am currently doing boxing so I am training my arm a lot, plus doing lots of push ups. Stamina is really the main thing I need to work, although I do more cardio than anything else it is not that great.

I go to the gym a lot, and train about 1hr30 everytime doing all kinds of exercise, but I really want to know if it is enough? Like should I really lift weights or do specific exercises?

And also I am 5ft10 and I weigh about 140 is my size okay as well. I`ve heard that size doesn`t really matter in rugby, but I`ve noticed other players around my age are a little bigger, and I am wondering if I am to small for this game. :unsure:

Anyways I`m completly new to the sport and I`m just looking for a couple of suggestions to help my physical self and my confidence, because I always feel better when I work hard to achieve something.

Thank you. :)

You need a combination of cardio and strength training. Don't overdo or ignore and muscle group. I would focuse on bigger movement exercises like the squat, bench press and back row. From there you can add in more targeted lifts like curls or tricep extensions. Keep your cardio up though. Speed and endurance will get you very far.
As far as running is concerned I honestly think that Fartlek training is superior. Follow this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

I used that towards the end of my college football career and it helped me greatly improve my speed and stamina. It trains your heart and lungs as well as your legs.

Good luck...don't give up...Play For Fun.

Ok thanks a lot, I`ll keep those info in mind. I`ll start lifting from now on, and keep my cardio up.

Thanks again

Ok thanks a lot, I`ll keep those info in mind. I`ll start lifting from now on, and keep my cardio up.

Thanks again
[/b]

Oh god yeah keep your cardio up. One major thing is to try and be at peak physical condition.

Think about it, Ultimate Fighters just train to break someones neck in the first round, but I'd doubt if they could last 12 rounds against a decent pro boxer doing just boxing.

Why? Because the boxer trains every day, not just building stregnth, but in his general endurance and fitness so, even after 12 rounds in high humidty or heat, he can still raise those arms for one last hurrah.

Basically, sort out your training so you're building yourself for 90 minutes of running, tackling and thinking. Cos where we come from, we don't do timeouts :D

Welcome by the way :)

<div class='quotemain'>

Thanks again
[/b]

Oh god yeah keep your cardio up. One major thing is to try and be at peak physical condition.

Think about it, Ultimate Fighters just train to break someones neck in the first round, but I'd doubt if they could last 12 rounds against a decent pro boxer doing just boxing.

Why? Because the boxer trains every day, not just building stregnth, but in his general endurance and fitness so, even after 12 rounds in high humidty or heat, he can still raise those arms for one last hurrah.

Basically, sort out your training so you're building yourself for 90 minutes of running, tackling and thinking. Cos where we come from, we don't do timeouts :D

Welcome by the way :)
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be part of this forum.

And yea you`re right cardio is important. That`s this is mostly the main thing I do when I work out, because my stamina is not very good.

I saw that rugby is a very fast sport that involves a lot of running, so I guess that`s why people are saying that cardio is very very important, or else you`ll tire out very easily.

But I`m afraid that I do to much cardio, and not enough strength exercise, but I do not want my stamina to be so weak that`s why I`m doing more cardio than other things.

Mate, just go out there and enjoy yourselve!!!
[/b]

Yea I think I`m worrying too much about this. It`s just that it is a team sport and I hate being in the way or a nuissance. Plus I want my body to be at his best since I think that Rugby looks like an intense sport.

What position are you planning on playing?
Different positions require different strength and weaknesses, for example a full back needs to be one of the fastest men on the pitch whereas a prop or a lock needs to be one fo the strongest men on the pitch.

Euhm... I`m not so sure.. I`m kinda new to the sport so I am not so familiar with all the rules and positions. But yea, I`m guessing to be something like a full back (I`m guessing that`s a person who runs a lot), because I think my speed is much better than my strength, but I`d say my stamina is my worst.

erm.. good speed, low strength, and low stamina... erm... a prop? lol:p nah mate, u'll probably end up a winger...

Aye, you sound like winger material.

Remember that Full backs are being called upon more and more these days to perform do-or-die, who-dares-wins desperate last line of defence tackles (for case in point, see Josh Lewsey's tackle in the first England - South Africa game in 2006). You may have to do alot of running, but you'll need a bit more bulk to make a tackle count.

If you're dexterous and quick thinking, maybe ca position in the center?

don't get caught up on size too much - rugby really is a game for all body shapes and sizes, don't worry too much about your first few practices or games - stick around and work hard during training and give it your all when you get on the pitch - eventually your teammates will open up and respect you for that.

as far as weight training goes definitely target exercises for the shoulders, back and legs and for endurance don't do jogging - fartlek/mixed fuel running is better and more rugby specific - just run as hard as you can for a few minutes then walk/jog and then take off again and repeat as many times as you can to build up your stamina.

Found this link for rugby training which is specific to your age group, however keep in mind if you're just starting out you could just do a circuit for all the muscle groups in the gym moving from station to station or machine to machine when you start out:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/index.php?lang=en&page_id=459

Good luck and most importantly Have Fun!

don't get caught up on size too much - rugby really is a game for all body shapes and sizes, don't worry too much about your first few practices or games - stick around and work hard during training and give it your all when you get on the pitch - eventually your teammates will open up and respect you for that.

as far as weight training goes definitely target exercises for the shoulders, back and legs and for endurance don't do jogging - fartlek/mixed fuel running is better and more rugby specific - just run as hard as you can for a few minutes then walk/jog and then take off again and repeat as many times as you can to build up your stamina.

Found this link for rugby training which is specific to your age group, however keep in mind if you're just starting out you could just do a circuit for all the muscle groups in the gym moving from station to station or machine to machine when you start out:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/index.php?lang=en&page_id=459

Good luck and most importantly Have Fun!
[/b]

Alright, Thanks for the info. I tried to run a little faster on my running exercise on the threadmill today. I did interval of like 2 minutes of little fast paced running and 1 minute of faster pace, and I didn`t do too good got tired after like 7 minutes. But I`ll keep practicing.
And thanks a lot for the site, that`ll really come in handy.

Here is a link to a rugby specific Fartlek training regime. http://www.rugby.org/articles/rugtrain.htm
[/b]

It's a pretty good link, but tell me why this guy is telling you to work on your biceps in the gym?
Find me one pro player who concentrates on his biceps when he's in the gym and i'll show you a player who is - not only a minority but also - not up there with the best of the players.

<div class='quotemain'>
Here is a link to a rugby specific Fartlek training regime. http://www.rugby.org/articles/rugtrain.htm
[/b]

It's a pretty good link, but tell me why this guy is telling you to work on your biceps in the gym?
Find me one pro player who concentrates on his biceps when he's in the gym and i'll show you a player who is - not only a minority but also - not up there with the best of the players.
[/b][/quote]

Just a question so I can get informed, why`s it so bad to work on biceps for rugby? Of course, I heard a lot that someone who concentrate too much on muscle will be slow and won`t perform as good. But I`d like to know more details. And what is too much and too little.

just rmb to work on other aspects of ur body and what ur postion requires. like ur legs cos u need the explosi-tivity?!?!( is tt a word) and ur shoulders

Latest posts