• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TMO: Can we use it for more than "try or no try"?

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
I was thinking about this last week, discussed it over the weekend with a friend I visited in Nottingham. He was telling me that TMO should be used for disciplinary issues like spear tackles.

I noticed Woldog brought this up as a question for Jonathan Kaplan as well, which made me decide to open a topic to discuss this. Can we actually use the TMO for subjective things like this? The TMO is there to determine if the ball is touched down properly, which is usually not open for suggestion. This is why I feel they left the TMO strictly responsible for this.

Of course we can use the TMO for players touching the line with ball-in-hand but that would take too long compared to the importance.

That's why I would like your opinion on where the TMO can be used as well? Do you think it can be used for disciplinary issues like spear tackles? For issues like we had with Wales-Ireland when the wrong ball was used for a quick throw-in?

I'd like to see it used similarly to rugby league, where it's not just the grounding, but anything in the play running up to the try (so for forward passes, obstructions etc.etc.)
I think if it was brought out for fouls/dangerous tackles etc. it'd slow the game down too much - think it's best to leave that kind of thing for the citing commission afterwards

i think the TMO should be allowed up to the last run before the ball was touched down such as the Ireland-Wales game. if Phillips didn't make it over the line to score but the ball was recycled and then a try was scored then i don't think the TMO should be used. but because Phillip's try resulted straight from the line out then i think the TMO should have been allowed to check if it was a try or no try.

so basically i think a TMO should be used in the last event leading up to a try to see if there's any glaring reason why a try shouldn't be awarded and it should be used to check if the ball is grounded. nothing else.

Problem it raises how far back can you in the play? Two phases ... ten phases?

I actually think that a TMO would be a good idea in the case of giving out cards, as they can be equally as damaging as a try. Perhaps just a rule for the referee to look at the big screen to make a decision, as there are the odd cards that are given out that shouldn't be, and they can cost a team a game.

TMOs are used too much because there are too many laws in the game already.

sorry what i meant by last play was actually last phase.

I was talking in general :lol:, was posting this before I saw your post.

I have no issue with using the TMO but how far back is acceptable? Its a tough call as Bullitt said, there are so many rules, this would further slow down rugby.

oh my bad :p

i thought the last play would be acceptable enough as it's all one motion. anything further i think would be a bit too drawn out.

I think if the TMO was used to spot tackles as said before, yellow cards and red cards... just like in football when the advantage is given the team plays till there is stoppage then the referee could be informed of an illegal tackle in order to warn or send off the player.

As an ireland fan, in the case of the wales and ireland game... TMO SHOULD HAVE BEEN USED!!!!!

sorry what i meant by last play was actually last phase.

Interesting debate about how many phases you could go back (or whether you should just look at the phase leading up to the try). Take this clip for instance:

Ball comes out of the scrum at 1:27, is picked up, passed forward and touched down for a try. In your case the try should have been disallowed. However, if France would have gone down for the ruck and had scored a try, it would count if you would only look at the action in the phase leading up to the try. Then again, if the TMO was allowed to "go back" one phase, it still would be disallowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for dangerous tackles, and foul play then the TMO should be allowed to adjudicate and recommend actions I think it was 2008 or 2009 when Will Genia speartackled a Sharks player (I think it was Kankowski) and the Touch judge saw it but didn't get a number, so no one got sent off. It was a horrible tackle and the TMO would have easily been able to see it was Will Genia from the giant white 9 on his back.

I think main issue is say Ap or Magners match not on Telly then no TMO so spear tackle not reviewed same time same date TV match spear tackle gets say a red from TMO;
citing procedure allows for abit more consistancy as TMO will only go with scoring moves for TV match.
All other match's will be ref and AR's call then citing as per procedures.

I'd like to see it used for foul play referrals. Then from there we will have a better idea of whether to expand the TMO to other areas.

Yes but again refer to previous if not for all matchs then it becomes difficult to expand when so much rides on it remember not every HC match this year was on telly so not all with TMO's you would only see highlights TMO for live games only.

Latest posts