Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 09.04.53.png

July/warmups squad rather than full RWC, but doubt there'll be a ton of change

Really strong on paper, be interesting to see how they actually gel together because they had a string of poor results in the Pacific Nations Cup last year

I like it tbh
His dad was Tongan.

Does it take the **** a little more yeh, but hopefully it makes the RWC a bit more competitive. If not then yeh it's a stupid rule

I feel there needs to be a rankings difference added, so you can't get someone going from Ireland to SA for example.

i thought it was only players from Tier 1 to any teams below tier 1....or did i make that up?

i thought it was only players from Tier 1 to any teams below tier 1....or did i make that up?
Nah, that's just what people said to justify it - it was never going to be that way with Scotland/Wales (and apparently South Africa) sniffing about

I don't know why the rule wasn't implemented for tier switches only, WR have formalised tiers and this would be a perfectly practical use for them.

Tonga will be significantly more competitive than they would be without the rule, a bit like pool rivals Scotland, and are definitely showing the intent. The rule needs to be fine tuned fairly pronto though so we can't bring Owen Farrell to the next world cup to fill our nearly 40 year old out half gap.

I like it tbh
His dad was Tongan.

Does it take the **** a little more yeh, but hopefully it makes the RWC a bit more competitive. If not then yeh it's a stupid rule

I feel there needs to be a rankings difference added, so you can't get someone going from Ireland to SA for example.
i was trying to find on what grounds he quilified, born in tasmania, living in the UK and i have to admit a name like Adam Coleman didn;t scream immediate ancestry

I dont mind it, he's over 30 and not getting picked for the wallabies, if it caused some upsets and we got something different to the normal procession of quarter and semi finalists then great

Nah, that's just what people said to justify it - it was never going to be that way with Scotland/Wales (and apparently South Africa) sniffing about
Henry Thomas being the latest example.

I'm OK with it for the PI teams and Tier 2 but there's no way players should be switching in Tier 1 IMO.

1. Fisi'ihoi
2. Moli
3. Taumeifuna
4. Coleman
5. Lousi
6. Fifita
7. Havili Talitui
8. Vailanu

9. Pulu
10. Havili
11. Moala
12. Akhi
13. Fekitoa
14. Folau
15. Piutau

16. Maile
17. Fotuaika
18. Apikotoa
19. Fifita
20. Timani
21. Takulua
22. Mausia
23. Kata

Comfortably the strongest Tonga team ever IMO.

1. Fisi'ihoi
2. Moli
3. Taumeifuna
4. Coleman
5. Lousi
6. Fifita
7. Havili Talitui
8. Vailanu

9. Pulu
10. Havili
11. Moala
12. Akhi
13. Fekitoa
14. Folau
15. Piutau

16. Maile
17. Fotuaika
18. Apikotoa
19. Fifita
20. Timani
21. Takulua
22. Mausia
23. Kata

Comfortably the strongest Tonga team ever IMO.
Really happy to see this rule change have a positive effect. This is a team to get excited about watching.

Definitely agree it would be good to tweak the rules to ensure this type of strengthening story and not the changing between Tier 1 sides.

i was trying to find on what grounds he quilified, born in tasmania, living in the UK and i have to admit a name like Adam Coleman didn;t scream immediate ancestry

I dont mind it, he's over 30 and not getting picked for the wallabies, if it caused some upsets and we got something different to the normal procession of quarter and semi finalists then great

Also with his dad being an ex Tongan captain it's quite fitting

Yeah Tonga squad is seriously strong especially the backline. They're definitely capable of an upset and I'm not pumped to have them full guns blazing in game 1.

Also with his dad being an ex Tongan captain it's quite fitting
i didnt know that either

always find that stuff interesting, when i was a kid all i wanted to do was play for my dads club and follow his teams...would be so weird playing for aus if your dad had been captains of a different country

Latest posts