• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tonga'huia NOT joining Saracens?

Yep. If he signed with us, then Sarries are owed something, even if it is only compensation. If the announcement of his transfer was all hot air, then we don't have a leg to stand on.

Either way, he'll end up at Northampton next year. I would say that if he has officially signed with us and doesn't wnat to play, then the RFU should step in and ban him from playing for any English club on principle.

Looking at all the other boards, it appears to be a heads of agreement that was signed. Quite how much weight they carry is anybodys guess in this instance.

The 2 points I find interesting though are;
1. How quickly and (frankly) unprofessionally that Eddie Griffiths spoke out about this to the media; It's almost like he's looking to make a smear campaign against Northampton rather then express frustration on losing a contract?
2. If this is a "legally binding" issue regarding contracts, why is it the PRA getting involved instead of the courts?

It all leaves a rather unpleasant taste in the mouth.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6069917,00.html

Premier Rugby have stepped into the bitter, escalating row between Guinness Premiership ***le rivals Northampton and Saracens over Soane Tonga'uhia.

Northampton claimed on Thursday that Tonga'uhia had signed a new three-year deal with them. He joined Saints from Bedford in 2006.

Saracens though, had already recruited him on a five-year contract - reportedly worth more than £1 million - ready for next season.

The feud intensified with Saracens Chief Executive Edward Griffiths labelling Saints as "April fools" following their announcement of fresh terms for the 28-year-old.

It followed his opposite number, Northampton's Allan Robson, claiming that Saracens' criticism of Saints and the player was "totally without merit."

Premier Rugby, umbrella organisation for the 12 Premiership clubs, have asked Northampton and Saracens for written reports outlining their positions in the matter ahead of a mediation meeting next week.

Griffiths said he hoped for a "swift resolution" at the meeting, while also underlining Saracens' position.

"This situation remains remarkably uncomplicated," he said.

"Soane and Saracens have signed a legal document, and the opening clause reads... 'this document is drawn up to show the terms that have been agreed by the club and the player and is legally binding'.

"I am not sure what part of that is unclear."

He added: "Today (Thursday) - April Fool's Day - Northampton have announced they have signed a new contract with Soane.

"This contract is illegal and irrelevant. The sad reality is that a proud Premiership club has brought our game into disrepute.

"They have shown complete contempt for legality, justice and integrity and have made themselves look like the ultimate April fools.

"We must now decide whether we operate a league where signed agreements mean something and are respected, or whether we have chaos."

Trophy treble-chasing Northampton insist Tonga'uiha has not signed a deal with Saracens after consulting with him.

"Saracens are obviously disappointed that Soane will not be joining them next season after all," said Robson.

"However, their criticism of the player and Saints is totally without merit. Soane had strong personal reasons for his change of heart.

"Once he had made this known to us and he was able to confirm that in fact he had not signed a contract with Saracens and was free to sign with Saints, we did not hesitate to offer him a deal to keep him at Saints for the next three seasons.

"His decision is a boost for the whole club as we enter the crucial last weeks of this season and build for the future."

And Tonga'uhia added: "I'm very happy to sign again with Saints. It has been my decision and my decision alone to stay.

"The success of the club over the last few months has been a big thing to be a part of and very enjoyable.

"The coaches and the fitness department have worked hard and this played a massive part in me deciding to stay. We're also very settled in the area as a family, which means a lot to me as well."

The saga gives added spice to the April 24 round of Premiership fixtures when second-placed Northampton host Saracens, currently third.

I don't think Edward Griffiths is doing himself any favours by airing his views in public. It reflects badly upon him and in turn Saracens.

At the end of it, it's not about the player any more, EG is after money. I guess he realises his public image can't get any worse so why bother fighting it.

Edit: Eddie G is like a white P Divvy! How amusing!

Well, based on Mite's article, Tonga'uiha is the one coming out of this worst. Griffiths says that there's a legally binding document signed by Soane. Northampton's response is that they have 'consulted' the player.

So, Saracens are arguing that there's a legal document, Saints seem to be trusting Tonga'uiha when he says there isn't.

Based on that article, I'd hope that Premier rugby bans ST from playing for any English club in the next 2 years.

Oh dear... Right;

If Tonga'uiha signed the document, he would have had a copy to keep for his own records. He would have been able to show this document to Alan Robson, a shrewd Businessman at Northampton who knows more about contracts then every TRF member combined, who could have gone through every detail with a fine tooth comb before drawing up any contract for Tonga'uiha to sign. Plus, with Keith Barwell on board (or specifically, his highly paid solicitors) who know a thing or two themselves about legislation and contract terms, I suspect Northampton haven't gone into this lightly. Everything points to this "Legally Binding" document being nothing more then a 'Heads of agreement' Which is a binding agreement on the terms of a contract, but not a contract itself... So if Tonga'uiha had gone to sign any contract and the agreed terms were not what he arranged, he could have Sarries over a barrel - That's what they're for, protect the employee and not the employer.

I compound these thoughts by the fact Griffiths is nothing more then a marketing man and has acted very unprofessionally with the rant as posted above. I wouldn't be half surprised if he got barely of the full facts digested before making up the rest as to fill in the blanks - Remember how he had to very quickly back down at the end of last season when the 15 players contracts he wanted to terminate was in fact an illegal move on his part? You know, when he wanted to clear some space for his fellow Africans? The fact most of them didn't want to stay after the whole horrible affair is besides the point.

This whole episode will end badly for one party, but Griffiths has been shown wanting on similar issues to these before. Don't be too surprised if it doesn't happen again to him... And if so, huge sanctions will be put on him for bringing the game into disrepute after yesterdays rant.

Saying things like "I'd hope that Premier rugby bans ST from playing for any English club in the next 2 years." is a knee-jerk comment coming from a lot of understandable disappointed sarries fans. Until the facts come out, nobody knows sod all but they only serve to stoke the flames more then resolve the issues.

Tonga'uiha is the one coming out of this worst.
I fully disagree. With respect, as a Saracens fan you're obviously more likely to come down in support of your club than either the player or Saints. Likewise Bullitt is more likely to see his club's side of the story.

As an outsider who supports neither club, Tonga'huia was an idiot for signing a piece of paper saying he'd move to Sarries. Northampton are idiots for announcing they'd signed the player when there's a contract dispute going on between him and Saracens. Edward Griffiths is making Sarries look like a bitter and twisted club. If I was a player, I'd now be less likely to sign for Sarries due to the conduct in public of their chairman/CEO. He has every right to feel aggrieved but airing his thoughts in public is extremely stupid.

Take the Paul Warwick situation last season. London Irish had every right to be ****** off at Warwick and Munster but they realised that there was no point in holding an unhappy player to a contract, agreed their compensation in private, wished the player the best and moved on. It was the best resolution for everyone. Griffiths actions are smearing Northampton unnecessarily and are more than likely hardening Tonga'huia's stance in not wishing to move to Watford. Shouting about his woes is turning a small issue into one which the Rupert Murdock Sky Sports machine needs to comment on. Griffiths is putting his ego before the club he represents.

Making this public was very stupid. Why can they not sort this out behind closed doors.

Making this public was very stupid. Why can they not sort this out behind closed doors.
I agree,
There's no need, Tiny wasn't going to read the BBC sports site and think "Oh wait, maybe i should head to the Saracens!" - The Sarries are just trying to save face at the fact that he decided against joining them

The match on the 24th should be a goodun!

I agree,
There's no need, Tiny wasn't going to read the BBC sports site and think "Oh wait, maybe i should head to the Saracens!" - The Sarries are just trying to save face at the fact that he decided against joining them

The match on the 24th should be a goodun!

Here's to Tiny scoring a hat-trick! :lol:

I fully disagree. With respect, as a Saracens fan you're obviously more likely to come down in support of your club than either the player or Saints. Likewise Bullitt is more likely to see his club's side of the story.

As an outsider who supports neither club, Tonga'huia was an idiot for signing a piece of paper saying he'd move to Sarries. Northampton are idiots for announcing they'd signed the player when there's a contract dispute going on between him and Saracens. Edward Griffiths is making Sarries look like a bitter and twisted club. If I was a player, I'd now be less likely to sign for Sarries due to the conduct in public of their chairman/CEO. He has every right to feel aggrieved but airing his thoughts in public is extremely stupid.

Take the Paul Warwick situation last season. London Irish had every right to be ****** off at Warwick and Munster but they realised that there was no point in holding an unhappy player to a contract, agreed their compensation in private, wished the player the best and moved on. It was the best resolution for everyone. Griffiths actions are smearing Northampton unnecessarily and are more than likely hardening Tonga'huia's stance in not wishing to move to Watford. Shouting about his woes is turning a small issue into one which the Rupert Murdock Sky Sports machine needs to comment on. Griffiths is putting his ego before the club he represents.

I don't see how I'm supporting Sarries' position. Him signing for us was announced at least a month ago, in the mainstream media. No one from Saints or Tonga's camp said anything at the time.

Therefore, for a deal to go this far and for Tonga'uiha to change his mind, to me that makes him look pretty shoddy. I'll point people to the example set by Shaun Edwards who turned down an offer from the RFU serveral years ago because he had a gentleman's agreement with Gatland.

Personally I don't have any time for Griffiths or Tonga'uiha, and I don't think it's going to make or break next season for us whether he signs or not. All I'm saying is, we will have to wait and see which documents surface and what they say. If there's no legally binding document, then Griffiths remains an idiot and Tonga'uiha simply looks dishonourable. If there is, then Tonga should be allowed to play for neither club. Simple as that.

If it turns out there's no legally binding document, I hope full well that Northampton Saints plc take Edward Griffiths and his associated companies to the cleaners for a slanderous smear campaign.

Meh I think this is a very raw deal for both fans. I'd be very interested to see if Saints had offered Tiny more after he said he was going to Sarries. If that is the case I wouldn't want him as that is a very cynical case of playing two clubs off against each other.

Its still all speculation of course, all of it, including suggestions that the contract is or is not legal. Had a hilarious occassion on the Saracen's fan board where a Saints fan came on and firmly and angrily asserted that everything was all speculation and that nobody had any idea what Tiny had actually signed apart from himself, EddieG (the Saracens Chief Executive) and Tiny's agent...

...and then went on to insist that it wasn't legal. Great.

And then theres the usual rounds of the Barwell-fanboy-pots calling the Griffiths-fanboy-kettles black and so on. A Q&A session descended into basically a 3 page argument between EddieG, Saracens fans and Saints fans and my questions about further gatherings at away games and the prospect of us moving to another ground were drowned out :(

So myself? I'm pretty good at ignoring all this crap, we've already going to get a couple of decent props next year and I'd rather we fill the squad with young talent from the academy to be honest.

Can it be Thursday yet (I presume thats when the arbitration date is going to be set)? I'm bored :(

Serves you right for reading the Sportnetwork boards really. For everyone on that lot who has a reasonable opinion, there are 50+ humourless morons on there who would rather have a cybernetic ****-slinging and cock-waving contest then actually talk about anything.

Interestingly, I did quickly perouse this thread from Gritthths. For any question asked, his answer seemed to be "Ja, it's illegal".

Member X: "Eddy, what do you think about Tonga signing for Stains?"
Eddie G: "Ja, it's illegal"

Member Y: "Mr. G, do you like rost pork for dinner?"

Member Z: "Eddie, what's you status as an immigrant in the United Kingdom?"

Remember a more innocent time when everyone would just complain bitterly about drums, repetitive sing-songs and dodgy referees? :(

Yes, mocking the Irish during the Six Nations was a grand time...

In thw Gloucester post match interview, Venter was as copy-paste as "there's something apecial happening at Saracens" as any PR the club has done of late,

"Ja, the referee screwed us, we were not beaten, the referee was biased to Gloucester, Northampton are very dishonourable, Tonga'uiha said we are better then them, I cannot think for myself and need this teleprompter, Tonga'uiha will be training with us on July 1st..."

Needless to say, like after most of the Mad Doctors interviews, I was equal part raging as amused!

Latest posts