• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tongan rugby

It's been a long time since this forum has been active. But I'll try to keep up with updates concerning everything and anything on Tongan Rugby.

Highlights from the weekend.
Fiji won 14 - 10 Tonga.
Tonga wait on Samoa vs Fiji this weekend to see if we qualify for RWC 2019 (Oceania 2) Pool C. If Samoa win or lose with bouns point we will go through to playoff with Europe.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this! There are many T2 countries threads started here that don't have updates from ages, good to have something about Tonga from time to time.

Thanks for doing this! There are many T2 countries threads started here that don't have updates from ages, good to have something about Tonga from time to time.
Thanks for the support mate.

On other news each Tongan player recieved TP $ 6000.00 (3796.59 NZD) for the 3 tests matches (Wales, Samoa, and Fiji) and their return airfares paid for.
This is a step forward though this was all paid for by the government by request of the TRU. It is great news it may seem like peanuts compared to what other nations pay. But the general scenario is each player pays his on airfare and are lucky to even get a wage from a test match. So hope this a start in the right direction.

http://matangitonga.to/2017/07/11/t...vantage-professionalism-wins-says-toutai-kefu
We've got some players next year that we want to qualify, Charlie Piutau, there's Jimmy Tupou, Sitaleki Timani. There's about six or seven of those that we want to try and qualify, so if we can get even half that group it'll change our squad considerably."

"So that's my biggest target at the moment. There is a group there that I want –my job is to try and get those players over the line and hopefully play for us asap." he said.

Imagine the prospects of that great read.

On other news each Tongan player recieved TP $ 6000.00 (3796.59 NZD) for the 3 tests matches (Wales, Samoa, and Fiji) and their return airfares paid for.
This is a step forward though this was all paid for by the government by request of the TRU. It is great news it may seem like peanuts compared to what other nations pay. But the general scenario is each player pays his on airfare and are lucky to even get a wage from a test match. So hope this a start in the right direction.

That is quite a good payment, Oaks received a little bit more for winning REC this season (plus other match bonuses).

Is this habit to pay the trip for player likely to continue? Because it was one of the big drawbacks of Islander nations.

That is quite a good payment, Oaks received a little bit more for winning REC this season (plus other match bonuses).

Is this habit to pay the trip for player likely to continue? Because it was one of the big drawbacks of Islander nations.

Just to be clear that's $ 6000.00 TOP divided by 3 tests so $2000.00 per test-match thanks to the government for this. But concerning player travel it is usually Pacific Nations Cups were players are forced to cover their own expenses. Autumn tours are usually covered for by World Rugby. Hope this is not a one off thing, but that is the reality for us and the lack of sponsers does not help aswell.

I know the lack of global live stream for the Tonga game was a pain for some but hopefully it led to some money from TongaTV going to the players?

The thought of a player being injured in an international and losing money to even be there is terrible.

The game was free to air so no revenue was generated from that and if there was it would have not gone to the TRU. It's such a shame but like I said it's the reality for us. Players really sacrifice alot just to play for us. Look at our playing kit even college rugby have a more better kit. That goes to show how far behind we are.

Heh, congrats Tonga, well done! It means that in group A where Romania is there is a big chance to have Samoa.

A deserved 2nd place for Tonga I think. A shame for them to miss out on Group A where anything would have been possible.

I don't know which country has the better players but Tonga look like the better coached side to me.

Tonga have beaten France before in the World Cup and almost beat South Africa in 07. On their day they can beat anyone.

Tonga have beaten France before in the World Cup and almost beat South Africa in 07. On their day they can beat anyone.

Thats another of way of looking at it. If this is the world cup to prove ourselves why not aganist 3 tier one nations.

Thats another of way of looking at it. If this is the world cup to prove ourselves why not aganist 3 tier one nations.

And the two weakest Tier 1 sides too. I think both Argentina and France would currently have reason to be a bit nervous playing Tonga in a neutral venue. Particularly if they rotate their squads to prioritise Tier 1 fixtures.

It is notable to me that Fiji are in fine form and of their four tests in the past month Tonga provided by far the best defensive effort.

We beaten France 1999 and 2011 Argentina we have played once. If we build a good team will even our chances.

Fiji I reckon we outplayed them just errors and excution cost us that game. Defence upfront is good just scatter defense we lack.

Just to be clear that's $ 6000.00 TOP divided by 3 tests so $2000.00 per test-match thanks to the government for this. But concerning player travel it is usually Pacific Nations Cups were players are forced to cover their own expenses. Autumn tours are usually covered for by World Rugby. Hope this is not a one off thing, but that is the reality for us and the lack of sponsers does not help aswell.

Got it, I thought at US dollars not TOP.

Well, Oaks got EUR 7000 for winning REC and some sort of life annuity for winning REC ( EUR 500 if my memory serves me corectly) which is considered an European trophy.

Nevertheless, even if the amounts are smaller, I think is a good step forward to TRU

Tonga's End of year tour confirmed.
English Barbarians
Japan
Romania

Here's a recent interview with head coach Toutai Kefu.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/internatio...ga-talk-up-chances-in-world-cup-pool-of-death
Tonga's End of year tour confirmed.
English Barbarians
Japan
Romania

Here's a recent interview with head coach Toutai Kefu.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/internatio...ga-talk-up-chances-in-world-cup-pool-of-death

A mixed bag of fixtures. I do not understand why two years running Japan plays a Pacific Island side on the other side of the world. Why not in Japan and then fly to Europe together? It is not as if a French crowd will make more money than a Japanese crowd. It should be very entertaining though. I think you are physical enough to disrupt the Japanese play as I was shocked the way Fiji controlled them in November (after Japan had won in Georgia).

Tonga vs Romania should be great and very close.

English Barbarians. I don't even know what that is. Is that a new thing? Hopefully it is a money spinner but there is something badly wrong that arguably worst peforming Samoan side of recent years (ranked 16th) plays the first teams of both Scotland and England, whilst the best Tonga side in recent years (ranked higher) does not get a Tier1 contest. I suppose at least you had Wales in June, but still, you can consider yourself unfortunate.

I think your coach has a good assessment of your RWC opponents. France and Argentina will be heavy favourites but I think you can give them a hell of a fright if they don't improve in the next 2 years.

Latest posts