Top 10 Movies

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
Off the back of a conversation where someone (@TRF_Olyy) hadn't heard of one of my fave films I thought I start a thread for people's Top 10's. Some people might find a potential new fave movie to watch and I will probably have never heard of some of yours... and I'll have some new films to watch for once.

1. Fight club
2. The Big Lebowski
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Matrix
5. Pulp Fiction
6. Collateral
7. Godfather Part 2
8. Unforgiven
9. Twelve Angry Men
10. No Country for Old Men

Notable omission Green Book

... and Top 5 Hidden Gems (not necessarily Top 10 movies but great movies few people have seen)

1. Galaxy Quest
2. Super
3. Slither
4. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
5. Irreversible

I want to watch that but I'm afraid to on my own. Watched The Lobster on my own, same writer/director, and I've never been so unsettled from a movie because of the way his characters personalities just aren't quite human...
I haven't seen The Lobster actually... might watch it tonight though now you've reminded me.

The Lobster is pretty handy. Particularly i imagine if you've hit your late thirties and are female. Personally I found it a little hard to relate to but it was oddly compelling. Haven't seen this other one by the same fella. I shall return later with a suitably obscure list.

The Lobster is pretty handy. Particularly i imagine if you've hit your late thirties and are female. Personally I found it a little hard to relate to but it was oddly compelling. Haven't seen this other one by the same fella. I shall return later with a suitably obscure list.
Yeah, the story didn't really grab me much considering I'm a young, single beefcake who wouldn't have an interest in hunting but the characters were so ******* weird and compelling.

1. Star Wars [1977]
2. The Matrix
3. Batman [1989]
4. Meet Joe Black
5. The Fugitive
6. Lost in Translation
7. I, Robot
8. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
9. The Incredibles
10. Troy [2004]

Last edited:
Damn you Bushtop thinking about this is much more interesting than studying how to trace misappropriated funds.

It's a difficult though, do you go by what you've enjoyed or try and be objective as to quality? Certainly my taste also changes by mood, time etc.

No concrete top 10 movies that are up there for me for different reasons and without genre discrimination are: 12 Angry Men, The Dark Knight, Hot Fuzz, In Bruges, Good Will Hunting, T2, Silence of the Lambs, Schindler's List, The Departed (fite me, and yes I've seen Internal Affairs), Dunkirk and The Shining. Probably forgotten a load of movies and would put different ones down 10 minutes later. There's a number of movies I watch basically every time I come across them on tv that I didn't put down like Back to the Future, The Raid and most Fincher, Tarantino and Nolan movie.

Also yeah The Lobster is weird, great cast though. Do think it falls apart a bit in the last third.

Edit: ****, forgot The Fugitive, watch that every time as well.

1. Star Wars [1997]
2. The Matrix
3. Batman [1989]
4. Meet Joe Black
5. The Fugitive
6. Lost in Translation
7. I, Robot
8. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
9. The Incredibles
10. Troy [2004]

We managed to get to the second list before getting a Star Wars controversy! For your sake TOB I'm assuming the typo is 1977 rather than 1999! I'm a controversial Return of the Jedi fan (just loved those hoverbikes as a kid and didn't mind Ewoks at all).

I love how subjective personal opinion is. Lost in Translation is probably my favourite out of your list.

BT's 12 Angry Men is my favourite in the thread so far (up there with Anatomy of a Murder for best legal drama ever).

Dont know if it is me, or it didn't age well, but I came to the Matrix about 15 years late and gave it 5/10!

Yes, sorry, typo. The original star wars. A masterpiece in my mind.

Any hidden gems for sports movies.
A long week to kill so wondering. Have watched Friday Night Lights after reading the book. 2 very different perspectives but class from both.

A long week to kill so wondering. Have watched Friday Night Lights after reading the book. 2 very different perspectives but class from both.
Have you seen The Rookie with Dennis Quaid... good film and a true story? Always find Baseball films are quite good although the sport is pants.

For American Football I take it you'll have seen Remember the ***ans?

For boxing, there is Champion (Kirk Douglas, 1949) which I personally thought was up there with Raging Bull (although that is not a common perspective).

Have you seen Goon? Both the first one and the sequel are pretty good.

Presume you've seen the usuals like Moneyball, The Blind Side, Remember the ***ans, Warrior, Rocky, The Fighter, Coach Carter etc.

FNL is great in all it's versions.

Have you seen Goon? Both the first one and the sequel are pretty good.

Presume you've seen the usuals like Moneyball, The Blind Side, Remember the ***ans, Warrior, Rocky, The Fighter, Coach Carter etc.

FNL is great in all it's versions.
Haven't read the book but the series is my favourite sports entertainment bar none... love it.

Two great sports comedies of the 80's, which were pretty well known at the time but have have been before you lot could load a VCR (pre-empts bushytop what's a VCR jokes :cool:) were Major League and Wildcats.

They may seem a little old for you youngsters but they were great movies.

Last edited:
Hmm trying to remember what movies I've seen is hard enough. I guess if I can't remember them then they aren't my favourites, though I'm sure I will regret saying that.

1. Cloud Atlas (if you can get into it, it's a fantastic film, though may require a couple of viewings to connect it all up)
2. Of Mice and Men
3. Avenger's Infinity War (I just love how it goes in full throttle and doesn't stop)
4. The Green Mile
5. The Shawshank Redemption
6. The Usual Suspects
7. Lucky Number Slevin
8. Fight Club
9. Tolkien
10. Batman the Dark Knight (Mainly just for Heath Ledger's Joker)

Thankfully I rate every film i watch as my memory is so bad I'd end up watching the same dud on a loop if I didn't. The only films I've ever given a perfect 10/10 are below and topically enough, three of them are Japanese:

A Touch of Zen - (long and slow old kung fu flick, completely sucks me in and has an awesome last 40mins or so that makes me feel strange)

The Sting - (speaking English is no barrier to movie perfection. I remember actually laughing at how this film just nails everything)

Hana-Bi (aka Fireworks) - written, directed, acted in and featuring paintings of the "Japanese Chris Tarrant" (Beat Takeshi of Takeshi's Castle). This guy is a complete one off. I'll file it under 'drama'. Some of his other stuff is great too, albeit overly similar.

Akira - (best animation and music in a film ever, hand drawn. Can be hard to follow without reading the manga or having repeated viewing - essential for any 12 year old boy who likes sci-fi or dystopian settings)

Dersu Uzala - (favourite Kurosawa film - modernity hits rural Soviet Russia. Also long and slow.)

Some other snorters that I gave 9/10 (focussing on English language films that aren't super old, to make this even remotely worth reading):

Miller's Crossing - (my favourite of the Coen Bros)

The Game - (my favourite Fincher, accesible too)

The Pledge - (overlooked Jack Nicolson crime effort. Directed by Sean Penn and not well acclaimed at all. I thought it was superb)

Wicker Man - (what a bloody awesome musical. They should show this at school instead of West Side Story.)

The King of Comedy - (my favourite Scorsese / De Niro)

Night Crawler - (my favourite film of this decade so far)

12 Angry Men / Anatomy of a Murder (joint best legal)

Terminator 2 (best English language action blockbuster type thing)

View any of these at your own risk as they wont be for everyone. No dubs allowed for foreign language.

(PS - I just noticed I didn't like Friday Night Lights as a film, but the book is top drawer. I'm surprised it gets much love as it is pretty scathing about society if I remember right).

Latest posts