• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Wingers

1 Habana
2 George North
3 Julian Savea
4 Gio Aplon (Some are gonna laugh but I see hima as a wing and honestly in a team that would know how to use him he would be lethal, the kicking and handling skills are a bonus)
5 Sitiveni Sivivatu
6 Yoann Huget
7 Charles Piutau (whom I see as a winger in test rugby)
8 Cory Jane
9 JP Pietersen
10 Tommy Bowe

and if they would play wing on the test stage add Folau, Le Roux, Ranger and Ben Smith to the top regions of my list.

01: Savea
02: Jane
03: North
04: Huget
05: Habana
06: JP Pietersen
07: Nalaga
08: Tomy Bowe
09: The Honey Badger
10: Ben Smith

and a special top 10 just for Big E:

01: Huget
02: Medard
03: Palisson
04: Rougerie
05: Malzieu
06: Fall
07: Andreu
08: Donguy
09: Arias
10: Clerc

:D

Digby Ioane? what about him. I'd have him over Cummins anyday.

Meh... he skinned Habana once and then did ok for Biarritz.

I'd agree with that.

and a special top 10 just for Big E:

01: Huget
02: Medard
03: Palisson
04: Rougerie
05: Malzieu
06: Fall
07: Andreu
08: Donguy
09: Arias
10: Clerc

:D

ahh. Much more sensible than that weird first list of yours.....BUT you forget Nakaitaci, Guitoune and O'Connor notably there !!! A high offense !! Show me those fingers that I hit them with my ruler !!

And yeah Scotty Visser man at least, if not also Lamont. Gotta mention Visser.
stormer +1 for still mentioning Sivivatu in 2014. The man still is a crazy talent on the wing, almost nothing like your usual (albeit quality) winger. This guy just creates out of nothing.

My top 10 is irrelevant because will be flawed, I don't have the clinical precision in knowledge of world wingers to make a worthy list.
Here are a few points though:
I think if we had to name THE best, haven't seen Habana in a while or Savea but either one. And this sounds biased (because I see them often, as they play in the Top14) but I'd make a serious case for a Nalaga or Sivivatu, those guys are crazy good.

George North has to be in the Top 5.
Huget is probably about no.6 in this day and age.
Sofiane Guitoune, not known yet, is going to ravage the Rugby world again when he's back from injury and should at least be mentioned on a world top wingers thread. Guy is crazy good.

So for sure in my top 10 I would have in no particular order:
1 Savea
2 Habana
3 Guitoune
4 Huget
5 Sivivatu
6 Nalaga
7 North

possibly:
8 the Honey Badger

1. Julian Savea
2. Bryan Habana
3. George North
4. Hosea Gear
5. Sitievni Sivivatu
6. Christian Wade
7. Yoan Huget
8. Henry Speight
9. JP Pietersen
10. Cory Jane

What about Ben Smith? I picked him as fullback but he's a wing for the ABs. And he's very very good at 14. I just need to know if I can choose him again, to finish my list.

1. Julian Savea
2. Bryan Habana
3. George North
4. Hosea Gear
5. Sitievni Sivivatu
6. Christian Wade
7. Yoan Huget
8. Henry Speight
9. JP Pietersen
10. Cory Jane

Gear only at number 4? No Rokocoko? I'm disappointed Nick :p

I'm not going to try and make a list (as I don't watch near enough NH rugby to make a fair judgement on many players), but for me Savea, Habana, and North are easily the best 3 on the international scene (I consider Ben Smith a fullback).

Nick Cummins can give entertaining post match interviews I wouldn't have thought he was near the top 10 wings in world rugby. He had a couple of good games at the end of last season for the Wallabies, but I think he will struggle to make the Wallabies 23 when everyone is fit (especially when Speight becomes available later in the year). He has a good work-rate, runs hard and straight with ball in hand, and is aggressive in defense. However his basic ball handling skills are poor, he doesn't have a kicking game, isn't overly quick for a a wing, and offers little in attack (apart from running straight and hard). Over the last couple of weeks he has butchered a couple of tries that I would expect any international wing to complete...

Unless anyone has mentioned this then here are my top 10 (****e English wingers)

1 Lesley vainokolo
2 Matt banahan
3 Chris ashton
4 David strettle
5 Michael Stephenson
6 Tom May
7 tom voyce
8 mark van gisbergen

Got stuck on 9! Any more thoughts welcome

Sackey?

Though I think that's harsh on several - May wasn't a winger and Vainikolo and Ashton were very effective for large parts of their international career.

1- Bryan Habana
2- Ben Smith
3- Digby Ioane
4- Cory Jane
5- George North
6- James O'Connor
7- Julian Savea
8- JP Pietersen
9- Henry Speight
10 - Yoann Huget & Nick Cummins

Special mention: Alofa Alofa! He will be "The new Digby Ioane", remember me. ;)

Last edited:
All lists without Tommy Bowe and Pastor Trimble are automatically wrong.

Also, sinful in the eyes of God.

Gear only at number 4? No Rokocoko? I'm disappointed Nick :p

I'm not going to try and make a list (as I don't watch near enough NH rugby to make a fair judgement on many players), but for me Savea, Habana, and North are easily the best 3 on the international scene (I consider Ben Smith a fullback).

Nick Cummins can give entertaining post match interviews I wouldn't have thought he was near the top 10 wings in world rugby. He had a couple of good games at the end of last season for the Wallabies, but I think he will struggle to make the Wallabies 23 when everyone is fit (especially when Speight becomes available later in the year). He has a good work-rate, runs hard and straight with ball in hand, and is aggressive in defense. However his basic ball handling skills are poor, he doesn't have a kicking game, isn't overly quick for a a wing, and offers little in attack (apart from running straight and hard). Over the last couple of weeks he has butchered a couple of tries that I would expect any international wing to complete...

He's been playing centre for Bayonne ;).

Sackey?

Though I think that's harsh on several - May wasn't a winger and Vainikolo and Ashton were very effective for large parts of their international career.

Olyy to be fair, Lesley Vainikolos international career was extremely short :p. He did something well on perhaps one occasion that I can recall!

Meh I think some posters on here are being pretty kind to the Northern Hemisphere.
Agree with what's been said about Ngwenya - if he wasn't quite so fast he would be one of the worst international wingers currently playing.
I know this should be as current a list as possible but Digby Ioane has been world class - world top 5 - and I'm expecting him to recapture that form soon.
I seem to be out on a limb in that I rate Huget a lot but don't think he's world top 10 when those other guys are firing. I prefer Maxime Medard when on form for France, and a few years ago would have gone with Vincent Clerc.

From England currently, I would say only Christian Wade definitely has the potential to be up there as world top 10 - I'd argue he could be in one of the top 3 in the world but we'll have to wait and see - not right now.
Anthony Watson could very well be in that top ten in a few years
Marlan Yarde possibly but less likely.

I'd go with:
1) Julian Savea
2) Bryan Habana
3) Charles Piutau
4) S. Sivivatu
5) George North
6) Digby Ioane
7) JP Pietersen
8) Tommy Bowe
9) Cory Jane
10) Gio Aplon

A special mention to Alapati Leiua who for me is pushing that top 10. I also really like Speight and Tomane from Australia, and Joe Rock still has it! Huget is about this level too.

as somebody who watches him often, Hosea Gear is a player I appreciate a lot and definitely understand the talent of, but I really don't think he makes it in the world Top 10. He can create a play for himself, he's got good pace, fantastic footwork Pac Island style, excellent strength, he's tall...but he's not an exceptional winger either. He's good enough to have made it this far, and he's a Toulouse winger in full health and going strong, but I do believe there are 10 other guys in the world atm who make the list before he does.
He should def. be considered in a Top 15, that I agree.

Gear is awesome, I remember when we played NZ on a tour and he destroyed us alone. Granted I don't watch much top14 but I have a very high opinion of him from what I have seen.

In no order (I thought I will do one)

Savea
Piutau
Jane
North
Sivivatu
Habana
Speight
Gear
Huget
Ioane

Some people would also be included but I see them as playing elsewhere, such as Ben Smith and Folau.

when do we finally get to see those Yarde and Wade internationally again ! A lot like Corbisiero, they've been overhyped during their absence, now we want to see them ! One of em is playing in NZ this summer I know...can't remember which one :D

Corbs isn't overhyped Yoe, Yarde and Wade have it all to prove though.

I don't mean it like he doesn't deserve it. I meant to say he's constantly brought up everywhere I go online in English Rugby circles, and that's de facto created an enormous hype around his character. Happy to see him play this summer in NZ.

I've only seen Yarde+Wade that 2013 summer tour against the Baabaas and Argentina, and some stuff on YT. So I'd like to finally really see what they're worth at the highest stage. It's really too bad they had to be injured last 6N. As for Guitoune for France. He would have ROCKED his first 6N, what a fkn talent...

Latest posts