• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 2011/2012 season

Who will win the Brennus Shield this season?

• Biarritz

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Castres

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clermont

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Montpellier

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Racing Métro

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Toulon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toulouse

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M Two One

Tra la la la
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
Top 14 Orange.png

The 2011-12 Top 14 season is starting this week. With the league continuing to strengthen year after year, this season could be massive. Also, with the Rugby World Cup around the corner, some of the best players from many top clubs will be missing. This means that the league could be even more competitive for the first few months.

There is a poll available for you to select your pick to win the league this season. Please add a reply below to discuss why you've made your selection. Other important topics to discuss are transfers and relegation candidates.

The list of clubs competing this season are listed below.

Agen
Bayonne
Biarritz
Bordeaux Bègles
Brive
Castres
Clermont
Lyon
Montpellier
Perpignan
Racing Métro
Stade Français
Toulon
Toulouse

Newly promoted clubs are Lyon OU and Union Bordeaux Bègles.

Stade Toulousain are the reigning champions having won their 18th Brennus Shield.

For detailed previews on Top 14 clubs and projections, please check out my blog on TRF by clicking the link below.

Top 14 Preview (Part1)

Last edited:
For those of you in the United States (possibly Canada as well) you can watch Top 14 matches this season on ESPN3.com. The first match of the season between Bayonne and Toulouse will be streamed live tomorrow at 2:30 PM (EST).

Watch Top 14 Rugby on ESPN3

Going to be interesting this year with the World Cup. Lyon could easily cause a few upsets along the way.

I agree, as we've seen so many teams are looking for temporary cover for missing players during the world cup. This will be the perfect opportunity for clubs like Agen, Bordeaux Bègles, Brive and Lyon to gain some ground early.

I'm really curious to see how the many transfers of Stade Francais worked out.

Its starting already? Man.. That was quick..

Anyways.. Its good to see the growth in crowds for the Top 14 year on year.

Last season 2010-2011 they were averaging 15,119 people per match

The season before, 2009-2010, it was 13,959

2008-2009 AVG CROWDS were 12,735

So i have a feeling crowds would be up again this year.. Especially with Lyon and Bordeux playing some matches in their bigger stadiums... Also.. Still dont know if USAP will be playing at Camp Nou this season...

If things keep going the way they are... This season should have average crowds of 16K+...

Lets hope the frenchies win the RWC.

I hope they do win the cup, I know I was disappointed to see them go out after beating the All Blacks four years ago. Things are definitely moving up for French rugby, that's for sure.

I'll express my thoughts about that in the second half of my preview next week. Keep an eye out on the blog forum.

How do you think they'll do?

Last edited:
They did play quiet well last Friday. I really enjoyed the game. Especially that first try by Faivo ( sorry for the spelling mistake) n°11.
SF didn't put all their new players on the field, nor the internationals so I do see them end high on the table.

Olivier Milloud - Bourgoin
Now one of the oldest players in the Top 14, at his peak he was a very tough scrummager and was unlucky to be in a generation of French props where competition was fierce, it's hard to gauge how good he is now because he has played very little for Bourgoin since the 2007 Rugby World Cup and suffered a couple of serious injuries, last season he was rotated with Arnauld Tchougong. To be honest I expected him to retire before this season, although there are a quite a few veteran props still going in the Top 14 (Freshwater, Scelzo, Marconnet) but none of them have had so much injury problems for four years. I expect he won't play too much after the World Cup when Roncero returns, hopefully for Stade Français he can help the development of France "A" prop Rabah Slimani.
Verdict: Good World Cup cover, his experience could be useful for the younger props but he won't be able to manage to many matches from the season

Stan Wright - Leinster
Another veteran who comes after suffering a serious injury, known by Leinster fans as the "cookie monster" he had a good few years for Leinster but was clearly not needed and thus has joined Stade simply the definition as the coaches pet. He never let down Leinster, and is quite a useful signing for Stade in my opinion, I doubt he will be too much of a burden on the wage bill and will be a good team player, this signing is a bit of a risk though as it's yet to be seen whether he will regain form after a nasty injury last year, at nearly 33 he may only have a couple of good seasons left in him and one more injury could finish him.
Verdict: A good cheap option although a bit of a risk after his form being unproven coming back from injury

Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro - Pampas XV
He wasn't the first choice Pampas XV tighthead, and I don't expect he will feature too much for Stade and will be a squad member like Pedro Ledesma the man he is presumably replacing. I think however the man who was the first choice Pampas XV tighthead Maximiliano Bustos would have been a good signing for Stade and could have been the first choice tighthead for many years, but Montpellier snapped him up.
Verdict: Decent backup, but Maxmiliano Bustos would have been a better signing

Zura Zhavia - AIA
Apparently he was immense in the Junior World Trophy (the Junior World Cup for second tier nations), I expect he will be your typical Georgian prop
Verdict: Stade could have unearthed another Kubriashvili

Aled de Malmanche - Chiefs
Stade needed a new reserve hooker as Szarzewski has spent a lot of the last couple of seasons injured, Gary Botha who signed for Toulouse would have been a better signing.
Verdict: Good enough for what Stade needed, but not sure if he's good value

Gerhard Mostert - Sharks
Possibly an underrated player, made his Springboks debut this summer due to a spate of injuries to locks, he played flanker earlier in his career which he may find himself doing more often again for Stade where there is less depth, with Tom Palmer missing for large chunks of the season in England training camps, and the possibility of Papé being missing too, I think he is an astute signing.
Verdict: Good signing, should give Palmer and Papé very hard competition for their places.

Anton van Zyl - Stormers
Man of the match for the Barbarians against South Africa last December, but then was ignored by the Stormers after the rise of Elstadt, a good signing. This kind of South African forward have a history of doing very well in France, players who haven't done much at international level have flourished in France such as Sowerby, Vosloo, Claassen and Adri Badenhorst.
Verdict: Another good value signing who won't hurt the budget

Scott LaValla - Ulster Ravens
I'm not sure what the point was in this signing, especially with van Zyl and Mostert arriving, and Flanquart as a young French player should be given game time ahead of him as well.
Verdict: Unless he becomes a versatile utility forward who would be useful on the bench, he will not play much and will be well behind Papé, Palmer, Mostert and van Zyl

Arthur Chollon - Bordeaux-Bègles
After there was a point when Stade had Haskell, Taylor, Bergamasco, Parisse, Rémy Martin, Leguizamon, Burban and Rabadan all in the same squad, the current back row or at least the flankers looks very low key, I can't judge Chollon after I've never heard of him but one would have expected after freeing up Haskell's no doubt inflated wages Stade could afford someone with international pedigree.
Verdict: Never heard of him, could turn out to be like Fakaté at Montpellier, who knows?

Lei Tomiki - Reds
Hardly played at all for the Reds, but was good for Castres a few years ago, a typical Pacific Island sort of back row, a good signing in my opinion and could be a useful impact player of the bench, I hope now any Wallaby hopes he ever had are gone he will play for the nation of his birth, Tonga.
Verdict: Surplus at the Reds, but could surprise people who've forgotten him from his time in France

David Lyons - Scarlets
Not a good signing, he has no chance of playing when Parisse is around and is likely to be in France just for the pay check, he didn't have the best season for the Scarlets last year either, Albi's former talisman Vincent Clément would have been a better signing.
Verdict: An expensive player to have sat on the bench

Jérôme Fillol - Racing-Métro
A player who's heart lies with the club, although he started with Toulouse and has played with rivals Racing-Métro for a few years he spent most of his best years of his career at Stade Français, he's only likely to be third choice scrum half and a fly half if needed though he stated he will play for Stade even if they were relegated to Féderale 2 (whilst in the club were in financial crisis), which suggests to me he is devoted to this club.
Verdict: Good signing, players like him around the squad are a bonus, which is why I think Mathieu Blin should have had his contract renewed last season as well

Byron Kelleher- Toulouse
A big name, and although he was good for Toulouse he is now 34 and has had a long term injury, I think he could just be there for the money, Stade will struggle to get two seasons out of him at his age.
Verdict: I feel Toulouse got rid at just about the right time

Paul Warwick - Munster
Warwick didn't have a great season with Munster, but is a useful player for a squad to have due to his versatility.
Verdict: Another player who Cheika perhaps knew well from his time in Ireland, but he has declined since Cheika left

Felipe Contepomi - Toulon
Not a great signing, a really nice guy and was awesome during his spell with Leinster, but had a poor spell with Toulon and hasn't looked good for Argentina over the past year, another concern is that he's been signed to play 10 when many including myself think he's more suited to 12.
Verdict: Not the player he was, another coaches pet, and like Kelleher Stade will struggle to get two seasons from him

Morgan Turinui - Dax
The very fact he could only play for a ProD2 team for the last couple of seasons shows how much he fell of the Aussie radar after his 20 Wallaby caps, not the most inspired replacement for Bastareaud.
Verdict: How did this guy win 20 Australia caps?

Paul Sackey - Toulon
Didn't have a good time at Toulon, probably there just for the money, I'm sure there were some better options to be signed out there than him. Hopefully for Stade he defends better than he did in that 6-42 match against South Africa a few years ago.
Verdict: Mercenary

Paul Williams - Sale
A good player, he impressed me playing for Samoa, and from reports he did well in a poor Sale side, should be a good reliable first XV player.
Verdict: Good signing

Alex Rokobaro & Vilive Namosolo Aria
​Verdict: Two Fijian wingers who are nearly always very talented and should be good signings if their commitment is better than some of their fellow countyman

Very good summary. I reckon it depends on what the club is aiming French league or trying to achieve some European success (Amlin cup if I'm not mistaken). I'm looking forward to go to Paris and catch a game.

Anyway, as I'm cheering for multiple teams I do hope at least one of them will have some good result.

Brive
Castre
Clermont-Ferrand
Stade
Racing

Thanks for the summary on the Stade transfers... I've always been interested in SF after watching Hernandez and Corleto in the 07 WC, but only recently started to attempt to watch properly.

I started downloading some of their games about part way through last season and just when I thought I was getting the hang of player names, which isn't easy in French comm. and with no player names shown after tries are scored, I watched the Bordeaux game today only to discover I didn't know who anyone was again.

I've never really been a big fan of Dupuy because I think he comes across as a real prick, but he really bossed the game and got a well deserved try... In saying that, I used to love Kelleher and would really like to see him do well for Stade, but agree he probably is just there for the pay packet. Also, is it just me, or does he still seem like he can't speak French?

...how stupid can you be. He's been there for what, 3, 4 years now?

Unfortunately I will be missing today's matches, but I have some important stuff to do. Let me know what happens!

Here are three new team sets for the new season. I can't guarantee I'll create all of them.

6fxxt0.jpg

2cp57wy.jpg

6f6o2x.jpg

Quality mate, any change you could the SF jersey of 08 (the brown one with the pink fleur de lisse) Still looking online for one in my size.

I would, but with limited time I'm trying to concentrate on the new season. However, I do have two other older SF models if you want them.

Yeah would be awesome. That '08 model isn't urgent. Just when you got time. Cheers mate

I was trying to create that new SF away template and it is maddening!

Is anyone following Pro D2 BTW? Everything is turned upside down there with two of the teams most had to drop (including me) sitting at the top of the ladder.

Hey guys, first time poster.

I am a French rugby fan in Australia only get to watch a few top 14 teams on ESPN.

But was wondering if any one can tell me of any young french players I could look out for in the future who are playing in the top 14.

Much appreciated

Latest posts