• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Toulon will let Hayman go to World Cup

Hey mate- that wasn't a dig at NH rugby, but rather a statement of fact.

No player that has returned to the NZ comps has ever hit the standards that they played at prior to departing for the UK.

Andrew Blowers, Luke McAlistair, Chris Jack are just 3 examples I can think of that returned to NZ as shadows of the players they used to be.

In fact, I cannot think of any one player that has returned here and made an impact after player in the NH.

It could be co-incidence, or it could be the players have got old (though not an excuse in McAlistair's case) who knows?

But I for one am glad we aren't bending the rules for Hayman.

We have the Franks Bros anyway - we'll be fine.

McAllister spent a lot of time injured,
Played 20ish matches out of 60ish

Havent seen Hayman as outstanding for Toulon this season, he's getting a lot of competition for his place form that Georgian guy...

Tread carefully or you will start a meat swinging contest that you cannot avoid!

Did you see Hayman v Ospreys on the w/e Cymro.? Your "Hair Bear" made him look quite ordinary.

Hayman has also been injury plagued, and I understand that Toulon fans regard him as a rather expensive joke.

Gavin said:
You know he could be lying...

Very unlikely. Much as I dislike Tew, I know he is not stupid enough to tell a bare faced lie like that, when he KNOWS he would be found out the moment Hayman stepped on the plane to New Zealand.

Different if he was lying and planning not to get caught.

Did you see Hayman v Ospreys on the w/e Cymro.? Your "Hair Bear" made him look quite ordinary.

Hayman has also been injury plagued, and I understand that Toulon fans regard him as a rather expensive joke.

Very unlikely. Much as I dislike Tew, I know he is not stupid enough to tell a bare faced lie like that, when he KNOWS he would be found out the moment Hayman stepped on the plane to New Zealand.

Different if he was lying and planning not to get caught.

Certainly did and he did look average, got a feeling injuries up here tend to play a massive factor. Still is a World Class tighthead!

Player goes to Newcastle and has injury problems shocker...

I wish I could watch NH rugby :( some of my fave players are up there, George Stowers, the Tuilagi family :(

Tana Umaga has come back from France and made a real impact , we cant really deny that most players do go up there because they are not up to international standard anymore but they are a real asset to club teams

Come on MarkShaw,

You can't honestly say Tana is the player he was before he departed!
Though I concede age MAY have something to do with that in his instance

Oh good. Concede that players in their late 30s aren't the same as when they're 27. Very magnanimous.

Re: McAlistair - He's didn't get any "worse", he was just built up while he was away as a demi-god by Kiwi tabloids instead of very-good. No different to when he arrived in Manchester. The only thing missing was fitness as he spent 2/3 of his time getting a rub-down from the physio.

Oh good. Concede that players in their late 30s aren't the same as when they're 27. Very magnanimous.

Re: McAlistair - He's didn't get any "worse", he was just built up while he was away as a demi-god by Kiwi tabloids instead of very-good. No different to when he arrived in Manchester. The only thing missing was fitness as he spent 2/3 of his time getting a rub-down from the physio.

Hype may have played a part (Even though he was the guy that got yellow carded in 2007 and the media wasn't too fond of him) but there is no doubt that he was playing better football in 2005.I think its ridiculous to say that he became a bad player because he spent time in the Northern Hemisphere but he did come back worse. He was one of my favourite NPC players during his first seasons so i have follwed him fairly closely.

I think one of his biggest problems was just bulking up too much. One of his main assets in 2005 was his elusiveness but you can't really say the same now.

Thats what i thought he looks way bigger now and I don't think that thats a good thing.

I wish I could watch NH rugby :( some of my fave players are up there, George Stowers, the Tuilagi family :(

You know this website is located on the interwebs, as is lots of other stuff, like for instance rugby games...

Come on MarkShaw,

You can't honestly say Tana is the player he was before he departed!
Though I concede age MAY have something to do with that in his instance

Tana wasn't the player he once was even before he left NZ.

You know this website is located on the interwebs, as is lots of other stuff, like for instance rugby games...

Tana wasn't the player he once was even before he left NZ.

I don't know about that, he was still bloody good in 2007 for the Canes and Wellington. I think it's just age has caught up with him. 37 years old is bloody old for a prop, never mind a center, you can't expect a guy that old to be good as good as he was 10-15 years earlier. If he does play a key role for the Chiefs, it will be his experience and leadership that will make him good, his body has well and truly been burned out.

I don't know about that, he was still bloody good in 2007 for the Canes and Wellington. I think it's just age has caught up with him. 37 years old is bloody old for a prop, never mind a center, you can't expect a guy that old to be good as good as he was 10-15 years earlier. If he does play a key role for the Chiefs, it will be his experience and leadership that will make him good, his body has well and truly been burned out.

Still one of the best passers in rugby too. He may not score too many tries this season but im sure he will set up quite a few.
His tackling technique is still top notch, but his lack of pace makes him a liability on the outside channel. Tanerau latimer and Scott Waldrom will have to track across behind the backs to cover for him. Kahui will probably also find himself watching two guys instinctively even if hes told not to. Muliaina should do a great job of watching his back also, so i think the cheifs can handle it.

thats his deal with Counties isn't it? to do some coaching (share his experience), good to see these guys coming through as coaches whilst they are still young (ish) and their experiance is still relevant

I dont know if Luke came back worse, he was definately different though. I didn't see him play in the NH but i assume he changed his game to fit the style and did pretty well...and then tried to do that back home when i think more people would agree its a different beast

You're missing the point Bullitt; Tana was already old before he left NZ.

McAlistair came back a shadow of the player he was. He seems to have lost all his "vision" for the running game (for want of a better term).

When did I mention Umaga?

128700564682753362.jpg

Latest posts