• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2015/16

Henson secures early release and joins Bristol immediately.

Homer to move to Bath next week.

Source: BBC

Not surprised to see Gavlarr go to Bris early, they pay extra to have their new signings during the playoffs - however I'm really surprised to see Irish release Homer.
I know he's pretty s**thouse but I'd have thought they'd at least want his goal kicking available for the rest of the season.

Not surprised to see Gavlarr go to Bris early, they pay extra to have their new signings during the playoffs - however I'm really surprised to see Irish release Homer.
I know he's pretty s**thouse but I'd have thought they'd at least want his goal kicking available for the rest of the season.

Suppose Irish might figure they won't be relegated and won't get into the top 6, might be better to give a player there next season more game time anyway.

Thanks for the info. The three players you mention above who have definitely committed to their current clubs instead of the new franchise (Fernández Lobbe; Ayerza; Bosch) - are they the only ones, as far as you know? Obviously, these three are all older players who offer a lot of experience whereas those who have signed are generally younger and often playing in Argentina - no experience of a top, competitive professional league. Given that national selection will apparently be only for players in Super Rugby, isn't there a worry that both the Argentinian Franchise (does it have a name yet ... ?) and the national team will seriously suffer from a lack of experience of high quality rugby?

Also- no Nicolás Sánchez yet! I can't help worrying about Toulon offering him more money, he's vital to Argentina and still young. In my opinion the form international fly-half in the world last year.

Nicolás Sánchez stays in Toulon until June (extended its link to the end of season)

Thanks for the info. The three players you mention above who have definitely committed to their current clubs instead of the new franchise (Fernández Lobbe; Ayerza; Bosch) - are they the only ones, as far as you know? Obviously, these three are all older players who offer a lot of experience whereas those who have signed are generally younger and often playing in Argentina - no experience of a top, competitive professional league. Given that national selection will apparently be only for players in Super Rugby, isn't there a worry that both the Argentinian Franchise (does it have a name yet ... ?) and the national team will seriously suffer from a lack of experience of high quality rugby?

Imhoff (26), Herrera (25), Lavanini (22) are three younger members of the squad who are all contracted with Top 14 clubs beyond the RWC. Would be moronic to exclude them to be honest, not convinced they can afford to throw away Ayerza after the World Cup either.

Would be moronic to exclude them to be honest, not convinced they can afford to throw away Ayerza after the World Cup either.

I'm not sure about the situation for players whose current contracts overlap the start of the new franchise, but certainly anyone signing a new contract for another club is out of commission internationally. I totally agree with your poetic choice of words, but that is the plan - when the new franchise was announced Pichot explicitly stated that national selection would only be available for players playing Super XV rugby. I get the principle (I'm in the anti-Armitage camp, for example) but it seems far too restrictive to introduce such a restrictive rule from day one. The fact is, if those three players, for example, all refused to sign for the new franchise, they would all kiss their international career goodbye under UAR's own rules.

Too much pressure on the southern hemisphere teams. Not to mention what is happening with the stars of the big three and their exodus to Europe.
In football a similar process determined that since the 2002 World Cup not have a South American champion.

There's no nicking involved pal, no need to be bitter.

Neighbouring counties for our academies and your club forced out two people who a lot of players had tremendous loyalty to.
I doubt we'll see many/any more simply because there aren't any more who were coached by Booth/Hatley, were there?

Yeah Rats has a point. I feel your pain IrishKid, but casting Bath as some evil, talent stealing behemoth is a bit much.

That's a very good signing as he still has a lot of potential but Ulster or Connacht would have made much more sense. Although I do remember him having some connection with Munster which was one of the reason's they tried to get him so we had to snap him up straight out of school.

It don't think it's been reported here but Willie Falooooooooooooooooooonnn is going back up north.

Yay. Depth in a position where we already have a load of depth. Was the centre experiment was a total failure with Coughlan (Cawlin now)? He was actually offered a spot in the Munster academy coming out of school apparently but opted for Leinster.

He's only on development 1 year deal. And we are loosing a few back rows (Butler, Dougall, Barry O'Mahony possibly). TOD POM and Copeland all could go to RWC depending on scenarios and Stander will be in Irish camps after RWC so depth isn't as great as we thought.

Latest posts