• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers and Rumours!

Jerry Collins has said he does not want to go to a club that wins everything so I think Llanelli are in with a shout!

Jerry Collins has said he does not want to go to a club that wins everything so I think Llanelli are in with a shout!
[/b]
My guess is he also said that money is worthless and he'll gladly join any club for nada. Looks like a good signing for us then.

Cardiff Blues News:

Ceri Sweeney <------> Dai Flanagan (Dragons)
Marc Stcherbina - Set to be released to make way for an overseas signing
Jason Spice - Possibly Out
Gareth Thomas - Heading out to America with Scott Johnson

Rumoured Targets:

Matt Henjak
Willie Walker
Nick Evans

Is Sweeney a definate now? I hope they don;t get rid of Flanagan, he's an awesome young talent, and could do very well if he stays at the Blues. He's a better prospect than Sweeney as well, so why get rid of him for someone who's flaky and even more in-consistent that Nicky Robinson (who's had decent form this season anyway)? Can't find anything on the Blues website, so any chance of a link?

Is Sweeney a definate now? I hope they don;t get rid of Flanagan, he's an awesome young talent, and could do very well if he stays at the Blues. He's a better prospect than Sweeney as well, so why get rid of him for someone who's flaky and even more in-consistent that Nicky Robinson (who's had decent form this season anyway)? Can't find anything on the Blues website, so any chance of a link? [/b]

thearmspark.co.uk - this site has been great for transfer news, contract signings and unofficial stuff!

Blues:

Ceri Sweeney has signed for the Blues - Officially confirmed today
Dai Flannagan has extdended his contract
James Goode - Returns to NZ for club rugby

Dragons:

Duane Goodfield signed from Blues
Shaun Conner signed from Ospreys

There's going to be quite a bit of player turnover in Connacht come next season. Confirmed to be on the way out are John Fogarty to Leinster and Peter Durcan to La Rochelle.

Confirmed to be arriving are Kieran Campbell from Ulster and Sean Cronin from Shannon/Munster. Tony Ward reported in todays Irish Independent that AIL standout and Leinster academy player Fionn Carr is also moving west while a report on another website suggests that Ian Keatley is coming in from Leinster to play flyhalf.

If all the above rumours are true, Connacht will have recruited well on their small budget and it will be the 2nd year in a row that they've improved the quality at their disposal. Michael Bradley seems to be doing a great job assembling a squad - it's a shame that he's so poor at coaching those players.

Squad News 06/05/2008 There were major boosts for Connacht rugby on and off the field yesterday with the signing of three players and the extension of the main sponsorship by Bank of Ireland for another three years.

Bank of Ireland's association with Connacht Rugby is one of the longest running sports sponsorships in the country, going back to the outset of the professional era in the mid 1990's. Connacht CEO Gerry Kelly said it was a major boost to the province.

"We've enjoyed a very strong relationship with Bank of Ireland and we're very grateful for the support they've shown us", he said.

Donal Flynn, Regional Manager West, Bank of Ireland, said they were pleased to extend their sponsorship of Connacht Rugby.

"Bank of Ireland has enjoyed a very good relationship with Connacht Rugby over the years and have been proud to be part of their success story. We look forward to many more great days ahead."

Meanwhile, Connacht are pleased to announce the signings of three Irish players for the forthcoming season.

Leinster backs Fionn Carr and Ian Keatley will both be moving West and scrumhalf Frank Murphy will be returning to Ireland from Leicester Tigers in the forthcoming season.

060224_carr_u21_wal_ap.jpg

Carr in action during the 2005/06 Ireland U21 Six Nations campaign. INPHO/Andrew Paton

22 year old Carr, who can play at centre, wing or full back and 21 year old outhalf, Keatley, are two highly rated young players who Connacht CEO Gerry Kelly sees as having great potential who are sure to benefit Connacht in the coming season.

070316_keatley_ire_ita_ds.jpg

Ian Keatley playing in last year's Ireland U20's Six Nation campaign against Italy. INPHO/Dan Sheridan.

"We're delighted to announce that we've signed two exciting prospects for the coming season" he said. "Fionn and Ian have both shown great ability at age group levels for Ireland and it is our hope we will develop them into future Irish internationals."

071110_murphy_lei_ds.jpg

Frank Murphy featuring for Leicester Tigers in this season's Heineken Cup against Leinster. INPHO/Dan Sheridan

Kelly was equally pleased with the signing of 26 year old Frank Murphy from Leicester Tigers. Murphy brings with him a wealth of experience having previously played with Munster and Kelly is anticipating an increased level of competition for first team appearances come the beginning of the 2008/09 season.

"Frank Murphy will provide an experienced link between our forward pack and these young backs. With Frank, Conor O'Loughlin and Kieran Campbell we should have great competition for the scrum half berth and the ability to vary our game to all conditions and opposition."

Good moves by all sides really. The young talent gets to play regularly at a level that will benefit Irish rugby, and Connaght get some serious talent to help form a more competitive team. Delighted with this news.

Good moves by all sides really. The young talent gets to play regularly at a level that will benefit Irish rugby, and Connaght get some serious talent to help form a more competitive team. Delighted with this news. [/b]
I too am happy that Keatley and Carr will have a shot at more regular gametime. Hopefully both will return to Leinster down the line as better players. My fear is that they're joining a squad with a culture of defeat and it may ruin them. In that regard, I hope Michael Bradley isn't around to coach them. He has grown stale with Connacht.

I was thinking about something earlier today. Do these signings along with those of Kieran Campbell and Sean Cronin indicate the IRFU are beginning to view Connacht as a serious option with regards supplying players for the international team? Campbell is the third Ireland international to join them in two seasons, following in the footsteps of Johnny O'Connor and Gavin Duffy. Keatley and Cronin seem destined for international honours down the road while Carr too has a shot. With the IRFU allowing the three other provinces sign more non-Irish qualified talent, are they making up for this by loading Connacht with young talent who have a genuine shot at making the Ireland squad (not immediately but a couple of years in the future) while playing in Galway? If Connacht can add a bit of creativity to the centre (Barry Murphy? Kieran Lewis? Darren Cave?), a winger and a number 8 to their ranks along with a coach with fresh ideas, they have the makings of a good team.

Greg Somerville is headed to Llanelli [/b]
Has that been confirmed? Good signing if true. For all the talk of French and English clubs hoovering up all the top talent, Irish and Welsh sides are more than holding their own in terms of attracting quality players from abroad. The likes of Somerville, Lyons, Botha, Nacewa, Elsom (reportedly), Van Der Linde et al will add significantly to the Magners League next year.

<div class='quotemain'> Greg Somerville is headed to Llanelli [/b]
Has that been confirmed? Good signing if true. For all the talk of French and English clubs hoovering up all the top talent, Irish and Welsh sides are more than holding their own in terms of attracting quality players from abroad. The likes of Somerville, Lyons, Botha, Nacewa, Elsom (reportedly), Van Der Linde et al will add significantly to the Magners League next year. [/b][/quote]

He was going when Phil Davies was still there, then he decided hed think about it and now he is about to sign an agreement! We shall wait and see

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=11875
Connacht set to sign Super 14 centre
Linley MacKenzie

Connacht are set to bag their biggest Southern Hemisphere signing.

Super 14 player, Niva Ta'auso, who is currently with the Otago Highlanders, is epxected to finalise his new deal with the province this week. He will comes to Ireland with an impressive CV, a big reputation, and is just the type of player the Irish province has craved for the last three seasons.

The 27-years-old former Junior All Black is a outside centre who has carved a reputation as a line-breaker and a destructive runner. Currently with the Otago Highlanders, a franchise that is struggling in the Super 14, the Samoan born Niva Ta'auso started his rugby career with Counties Manukau - the provincial side for which Connacht's Troy Nathan also played.

He made his debut in 2001 when Counties Manukau was in division one of the NPC, and he has made 63 provincial appearances, bagging 105 points. In 2005 he made his first start for the Chiefs in the Super 14, establishing a regular place in the side during his three seasons. Although plagued by an ankle injury during that time, his solid form earned him selection on the Junior All Blacks squad in 2006 before he was drafted into the Highlanders this season.

Co-editor of Rugbyheaven.co.nz, Mark Hinton, a former Qantas Award winner and New Zealand Sports Journalist of the Year, has described Niva Ta'auso as one "hell of a player".

"He's a line breaker, a physical presence, and a reasonable sort of creative force down the midfield channels. He's got a bit of speed in his make-up, too."

Hinton believed the Highlanders got the "steal of the whole selection process" when he was drafted into the Dunedin-based outfit at the start of the season.

Now after four seasons in Super 14 rugby, the hard-running 185cm centre is transferring to the Northern Hemisphere and Ireland to join fellow New Zealanders Ray Ofisa and Troy Nathan in the Connacht squad. Still contracted to Counties Manukau till the end of the NZ season, he is expected to travel in early October to Galway.

The hope is that his presence will give Connacht some much-needed penetration in a backline that has struggled this season to make the necessary impact. And there will certainly be a new look to that make-up for next season with the addition of three more players who have signed this week.

If true, Ta'auso will be Connacht's 6th addition to their squad against 5 departures (Mostyn, Yapp, Durcan, Fogarty and supposedly McPhillips). I know next to nothing about Ta'auso but he must bring something extra to their centre because, to be honest, they've been pitiful in that area this season.

Jesus its all go.

I read in the Times today, Gerry Thornley I think, (Irelands rugby equivilent of Graham Hunter) that Leinster are sniffing around Jerry Collins no less. Absolutely no faith in these rumours but add them to the Scarlets, Ospreys rumours and it looks like he's put himself up for sale.

Jesus its all go.

I read in the Times today, Gerry Thornley I think, (Irelands rugby equivilent of Graham Hunter) that Leinster are sniffing around Jerry Collins no less. Absolutely no faith in these rumours but add them to the Scarlets, Ospreys rumours and it looks like he's put himself up for sale. [/b]

Phil Davies spoke to Collins and what he said was that Jerry Collins has said that he wants to go to a side with a bit of history, that does not win things and has a good squad!

<div class='quotemain'> Jesus its all go.

I read in the Times today, Gerry Thornley I think, (Irelands rugby equivilent of Graham Hunter) that Leinster are sniffing around Jerry Collins no less. Absolutely no faith in these rumours but add them to the Scarlets, Ospreys rumours and it looks like he's put himself up for sale. [/b]

Phil Davies spoke to Collins and what he said was that Jerry Collins has said that he wants to go to a side with a bit of history, that does not win things and has a good squad!
[/b][/quote]

I think you'll find he's actually Northampton's for the taking in that case...

Latest posts