• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I disagree.
I've always known it as a player who flits from club to club, the first I ever saw someone use it to mean an average player was on here and not that long ago

It doesn't matter what you think. /attitudeera

It has a very specific meaning. It's someone who has learned their trade fully, but is not a master. It doesn't mean average.

Lots of journeymen travel between clubs, but that's incidental.

A journeyman is a skilled worker who has successfully completed an official apprenticeship qualification in a building trade or craft. Journeymen are considered competent and authorized to work in that field as a fully-qualified employee. They earn their licence by education, supervised experience and examination.[1] Although journeymen have completed a trade certificate and allowed to work as employees, they may not yet work as self-employed master craftsmen.[2]

The term was originally used in the medieval trade guilds. Journeymen were paid each day. The word "journey" is derived from journée, meaning "day" in French.

It's still correct to say all of the English teams feature numerous journeymen. But not for the reason you stated.

I know exactly what I was trying to say. In sporting context it describes an able player who has represented a number of clubs without ever achieving his or her full potential. The word "average" never entered my thoughts or words.

"Journeyman

A professional athlete whose been around one's sport for a long time, but has been on many teams for a short period of time. In Boxing, a journeyman has fought many times, but has had few opportunities to win a ***le.

A good example of a journeyman is Paul Bako. A MLB catcher who was on 11 teams in his 12 year career."

Lots of people say "literally" when things aren't literal.
Lots of people say journeyman, when they mean something more akin to mercenary.

It's a misunderstanding to think that they are journeymen because they have played for lots of teams... they've played for lots of teams because they are journeymen.

S
Lots of people say "literally" when things aren't literal.
Lots of people say journeyman, when they mean something more akin to mercenary.

It's a misunderstanding to think that they are journeymen because they have played for lots of teams... they've played for lots of teams because they are journeymen.

Sorry... but it's like saying you can't call a sporting scout a scout because they dont go behind enemy lines or something... The sporting defiintion is obvs different

You're reading more into this than you need to and I have no idea why we're debating it. My use of the phrase "journeymen" simply describes the nomadic nature of some players. Your final sentence suggests the same.

Paragons of rugby journalism Rugbypass are reporting that Carberry could be going to Munster with Keatley headed to Ulster. That's right guys, Rugbypass are trying to report things, even if it is 99% complete and utter logic defying crap they pulled from a fan forum.

Tigs Man exclusive hearing reports that Carberry is going to Munster, Keatley to Ulster and Owen Farrell is moving to Leinster in hopes of using a sevens loophole to play for Ireland.

Its almost Impressive how many they have haha, at least we only really steal senior players from Sale...

Interestingly enough Wasps have also lost/let leave a fair few quality players

Out
Haskell
Cips ,
Symons
Thompson
Moore
Eastmond
Macken
Armitage
Paul Doran Jones

In
Shields
Liam Sops

Dai has already suggested he wants a squad of 39-40 players, so we need 11 players roughly.

Been linked to a fair few players, Brookes, Matthews, Carr returning, Joe Atkinson (London Scottish), Tim Cardell (Nottingham) Michael Le Bourgeois (Bedford), Ben Morris (Nottingham) , Ross Neal (London Scottish), Alex Goble (Nottingham), Billy Searle (Bristol)...

Sounds like we are changing things up and trying to target our next Bassett/Rieder/Thompson etc.

On a different note ... going to be fascinating to see the shake up at Northampton etc.

If Dai Young wants a squad of 39-40 and those rumours are true, nearly 20% of the squad will have been playing in the Championship this season. That seems high for a side chasing top spot.

For the rest, I'd say the new signings are at least on a par, if not better than those leaving. A fit, motivated Brookes could be a significant upgrade on Moore for example. Arguably, Rowlands has already replaced Symons. Eastmond will need replacing though.

Presumably they will also promote a couple from the academy too - Tom Willis?

Rumours abound that Cips might be at Castle Grim next season. He's been spotted at Hartpury College this week (Glaws's training ground) talking to Ackers.

If Dai Young wants a squad of 39-40 and those rumours are true, nearly 20% of the squad will have been playing in the Championship this season. That seems high for a side chasing top spot.

For the rest, I'd say the new signings are at least on a par, if not better than those leaving. A fit, motivated Brookes could be a significant upgrade on Moore for example. Arguably, Rowlands has already replaced Symons. Eastmond will need replacing though.

Presumably they will also promote a couple from the academy too - Tom Willis?

Yes very true, as promising as those championship boys are and the success we have with Bassett/Thompson/Rieder etc. but its a big call if true. Tom Willis will most likely by included within the squad next season.

I like Charlie, but you've got a decent number of wingers... he might be 3rd choice at best if Ibitoye, Earle and Micalcius play well.

Latest posts