• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Exciting summer for Ulster really, they've cleared loads of the deadwood in their squad and have gotten rid of most of their NIQs. In a World Cup year especially they could see one or two big signings.

Question is who for. Like is Treadwell being given up on. Henderson is there and they have few academy prospects at lock.

Prop and 10 are bigger importance
I'm not sure about 10, they got Billy Burns (admittedly not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination) and they've got Lowry coming through there. Prop is a problem but Moore has started to solve those problems and O'Sullivan has been brilliant.

At lock they've got Henderson but after that Treadwell's development has really stalled and their other options are a bit average. It says a lot that Nagle is a success up there after a few years if absolute nothing at Leinster. Given the amount of time Henderson spends injured or with Ireland I think they'd be justified in looking to recruit there.

Question is who for. Like is Treadwell being given up on. Henderson is there and they have few academy prospects at lock.

Prop and 10 are bigger importance
It doesn't have to be in place of someone. Top teams need strong squads. Equating it to Leinster, game time in shared between Devin Toner, James Ryan, Scott Fardy and Ross Molony. Ulster can share game time between Iain Henderson, Kieran Treadwell, Alan O'Connor and Sam Carter.

Agree that prop is an issue. Eric O'Sullivan and Marty Moore are performing admirably but there's no depth. A new loosehead has to be a priority.

I also agree about a new 10. Billy Burns has improved as the season has progressed but again, there's no depth. They could use someone to challenge him.

If they were to recruit from within Irish rugby, Peter Dooley and Tyler Bleyendaal would be high up the list in my opinion. Neither would break the bank, both are Irish or Ireland qualified and both would improve their 23 at the very least.

It doesn't have to be in place of someone. Top teams need strong squads. Equating it to Leinster, game time in shared between Devin Toner, James Ryan, Scott Fardy and Ross Molony. Ulster can share game time between Iain Henderson, Kieran Treadwell, Alan O'Connor and Sam Carter.

Agree that prop is an issue. Eric O'Sullivan and Marty Moore are performing admirably but there's no depth. A new loosehead has to be a priority.

I also agree about a new 10. Billy Burns has improved as the season has progressed but again, there's no depth. They could use someone to challenge him.

If they were to recruit from within Irish rugby, Peter Dooley and Tyler Bleyendaal would be high up the list in my opinion. Neither would break the bank, both are Irish or Ireland qualified and both would improve their 23 at the very least.
Irish qualified. Tyler IQ since last year now.
Agree you need depth but Treadwell is on a decent wage and I believe he may go. Agree they need depth and can rotate.

Toner and Ryan are internationals so having Fardy and Molony makes sense.

Having Carter a Non IQ as 4th choice lock cover doesn't make much sense IMO.

Henderson is an international who'll miss a lot of time due to the World Cup. Treadwell has also been capped in the last 14 months, is only 23 and should have an international career ahead of him . O'Connor is on Molony's level as number 4 in a 4 man rotation.

Carter would come in and start alongside Henderson in the bigger games and be a mainstay of the team in other periods. There's also the possibility that Henderson could move back to 6 as Ulster lack backrow depth. Adding a quality second row makes a lot of sense if Ulster want to compete for trophies.

Carter would certainly start for Ulster. He'd definitely add to their team but I'm not sure it should be priority number one. With that said just because he's the first guy they've announced doesn't mean they're not addressing other positions. Curious to see which way Coetzee goes. I hope ulsters good season makes it a more attractive landing spot for guys in Munster and Leinster needing a shot at first team rugby.

It's decided on a case by case basis mostly, but as a
what is the non IQ rules for Irish teams is it a limit per team, position or what exactly?
It's done on a case by case basis, but (excluding Connacht) in theory we're limited to 4 NIQs and one potential project player each. But say if Leinster have an NIQ 10 then the other provinces don't have a hope of getting one.

Daly to Sarries a couple days away
I've heard from a little birdie that Wasps were JJ's favoured option if leaving Bath (presumably as Daly's replacement); but that he got spooked by their... haemorrhaging of players, (presumably also some of the reasons talked about in private)

Apparently nothing in the Retallick rumours but those in the know saying Mostert wants out from Gloucester and we're front runners

If that's the case, Mostert's not exactly given it long! How many games has he even played? I doubt he's even in to double figures.

Latest posts