• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Van Graan indicating that Munster are looking for an attack coach but will keep Jones and Flannery on board. Have no qualms with Flannery, our pack, set piece or anything forward related bar maybe the need for another high impact carrier, and I think Jones doesn't deserve to be fired for falling into a job he wasn't hired to do, but an attack coach is certainly needed. They do try to use moves but are ultimately more effective when they keep it simple and go direct which is a problem against top opposition who won't be bullied by our centres physicality.

It's well documented that Carbery left Leinster because he was sick of the mandatory golden showers, the fact that most of the fans confused Athy with Dubai, and the fact that the atmosphere in the RDS would make you lonely surrounded by 18'000 people.

Joey Carbery is afraid of greatness, that's why he left, no other reason.
I think for the safety of it all it's best stick with that lol. But in seriousness lets say I was shocked at real reasons :eek:

Also on the attack coach have heard it is skype interviews being done and that coach may not be available until after the RWC. These indicate it's Southern Hemisphere.

Ok, maybe Leinster could re-sign Andrew Conway to play fullback. I'm sure he'd like a shot at winning trophies again.
Maybe. Hopefully ye win 1 this year anyway. But Andrew is as 1 of your finest up there McKenna poster him along with Tadgh a "Failed Heartless Provincal reject" so not sure why ye would need to lower bar so much.

Wasn't Conway's last game for Ster winning the pro14, he was wanted.

That's not how you go about getting a chip on your shoulder though, got to have a narrative. Same with Tadhg, Leinster didn't make some completely cruel decision letting him go, he couldn't stay fit and it was best for both parties. I know a lot of professional athletes carry some pretty dubious chips but the Munster Method succeeds in taking it to new heights.

Wasn't Conway's last game for Ster winning the pro14, he was wanted.
Leinster wanted him. It's the gitter journalism I'm quoting. Equally Tadgh knows it was sinply a case or wrong time there.

@big ginger 8 not sure on Munster chip bit as they kind of have nothing to do with the chip, it only quoting McKenna (a self proclaimed Leinster man). Noone ever said Conway was unwanted. Beirne it was clear was a mix of late bloomer along with injuries.

And not sure on Munster chip at all as majority would say we aren't at Leinster level yet and don't have any chip really with Leinster at all or anyone. Our failing and short comings are entirely our own faults or lack of resources in terms of like JVG trying to address it with an attack coach etc.

If Munster players are driven by a chip it would be Leinsters success but would finish with saying quoyes like "heartless provincal reject", "fraud" and others came from Leinster journalists. It was never linked to Leinster as its known its not their views and well equally its known it is easy kick any man when down. And when Leinster lads decline a bit they'll get same treatment

Last edited:
They do try to use moves but are ultimately more effective when they keep it simple and go direct which is a problem against top opposition who won't be bullied by our centres physicality.

They are ultimately more effective going direct as they cannot pass the ball more than 10 yards!

Its rarely ever into the stride of where the receiver would ideally be accelerating into.

From a totally uninformed outside view - it looks like they need to dramatically up the pace of their training when working on passing drills. Their core skill is not there - forget about the coaches taking time to make moves then spending more time on all the move throughs.

Probably reversing usual approach to drills - forget about focusing on not dropping the ball - primary focus in that bit of training is that the receiver has to accelerate to flat out in the 4 or 5 yards before receiving the ball - and if the ball ain't out in front of him at arms reach - then the passer has to learn to put it there...

Ours ain't much better. How many times does the receiver have to break stride and twist the shoulders to catch the ball half behind him - even worse when they have to fully check back. Shocking. Precision of passing would open a helluva lot of doors in broken field - and all too often its f**ked up by a rotten pass.

One of the things about Schmidt's Leinster team was how far ahead of any Irish team ever (including internationals) they were at basic skills like passing. Actually just practising those things until they were perfect brought our attack to a different level.

That said Munster could do with some centres who can create, Scannell and Farrell both have their strengths but aren't exactly O'Driscoll and D'Arcy when it comes to opening teams up.

Andrew Conway's decision to move to a worse team where he was further down the pecking order still baffles me. It set him back years, I think if he'd stayed he'd have made his Ireland debut far earlier than 2017.

To be fair to him he dodged Matt O'Connor though.

Andrew Conway's decision to move to a worse team where he was further down the pecking order still baffles me. It set him back years, I think if he'd stayed he'd have made his Ireland debut far earlier than 2017.

To be fair to him he dodged Matt O'Connor though.
At least he would have won a trophy under O'Connor.

Conway's last two games for Leinster were starting the Amlin Cup final and starting the Pro 12 final. While the move has worked out for him recently, I'd say privately he regretted his decision to move to Munster in the first couple of years. He'd certainly be a valuable asset for Leinster now.

Conway should have stayed at Leinster and learned under all of their class wingers they've produced in recent years like.................... Dave Kearney? Adam Byrne should have come to Munster and he'd have had a better career in my opinion. He wouldn't be stuck behind the likes of foreign players like Lowe at least. Up sarries, up England.

Conway should have stayed at Leinster and learned under all of their class wingers they've produced in recent years like.................... Dave Kearney? Adam Byrne should have come to Munster and he'd have had a better career in my opinion. He wouldn't be stuck behind the likes of foreign players like Lowe at least. Up sarries, up England.

As opposed to Munster who have who? Keith Earls and Simon Zebo? Leinster have had grand slam winners and test Lions Luke Fitzgerald and Rob Kearney, along with Isa Nacewa who I'd argue was better than any back who's played for Munster in nearly a decade (at least based on their performances for Munster). It hasn't been our best position but we've been much better stocked there than Munster there since forever.

Adam Byrne has always been in contention to start since his breakthrough when he hasn't been held back by injuries, I don't see what opportunities Munster could have offered him that Leinster haven't, he's played for Ireland and started knockout games in the Heineken Cup and the Pro14. It's a pity he got injured and is going to miss the run-in but other than that I don't see how he wouldn't be happy with the opportunities he got.

As opposed to Munster who have who? Keith Earls and Simon Zebo? Leinster have had grand slam winners and test Lions Luke Fitzgerald and Rob Kearney, along with Isa Nacewa who I'd argue was better than any back who's played for Munster in nearly a decade (at least based on their performances for Munster). It hasn't been our best position but we've been much better stocked there than Munster there since forever.

Adam Byrne has always been in contention to start since his breakthrough when he hasn't been held back by injuries, I don't see what opportunities Munster could have offered him that Leinster haven't, he's played for Ireland and started knockout games in the Heineken Cup and the Pro14. It's a pity he got injured and is going to miss the run-in but other than that I don't see how he wouldn't be happy with the opportunities he got.
Just to say Billy Holland, Ian Keatley and a few others started for Iteland and knockout games. So using them as standards for Byrne is kind of a void argument.
So what if Conway may have had better chances. Ask why did he leave? Why did he never regret leaving. Also people forget Andrews first few seasons here had injury issues too which effected his breakthrough. I think Adam Byrne is a good player but in a fully fit squad is not in contention.

And yes Conway could have won trophies as a Leinster player. But like Joey, Jordi, Jack McGrath maybe they want to try win trophies as a starter or a key cog in team.

Mentioning Byrne was completely tongue in cheek by the way. I don't actually think he should move South, it would be an objectively awful career move.
I do think it's ridiculous to say Munster are responsible for Conway's perceived slow career development though. Yeah he'd win more silverware with Leinster but he didn't arrive from Leinster a rounded international class player, he was extremely patchy despite his competition for spots being Zebo, Earls and behind that Felix Jones who didn't have an injury free season in his career, and Hurley. The same issues he had in Munster would have been evident in Leinster too especially with Matt O'Connor's inability to execute decent back play.
He was held back by a mixture of costly flaws in his game and injury, which now are both hopefully behind him (inability to put a ball down last weekend aside).
The suggestion that guys moving to Munster secretly harbouring regret at leaving Leinster are as ridiculous as the notion they moved down because Munster fans are just the best and we sing the best songs. Munster is one of the best clubs in Europe, a good vehicle to the national team and similar moves have been instant successes for the likes of Beirne and Carbery (injury aside) and Haley if you look beyond Leinster.
For the record I don't think Leinster's back three is much healthier than Munster's at the moment with Bobert finishing up. I'm pretty happy with who we have at the moment and back three is not an area of have any qualms with.

Latest posts