• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I've heard a few people say we aren't that high up or at least lower end of the scale with Wuss/Newcastle etc below us.

It depends what you do, keep the Du Preez twins and sacrifice a Ross or Curry OR keep both Currys and cut a Du Preez (which may lead to both going). If it was me, maybe go one of Currys to go (Ben most likely) and sign a very young talented flanker/promote within. If Tom went to Exeter/ you could always make a deal and try and get Hinkley in return if he's still as good as they say he is
I think we might lose all three Du Preez brothers tbh - from what I've heard Rob is basically the leader of the pack, and I can't see us keeping him around
I reckon we'll see a massive changing of the guard soon - a lot of players have contracts that run out at the same time, which will give Axe a chance to build a squad that he wants, rather than inheriting one built a specific way

We'll have to agree to disagree on Wasps cap useage - nothing about that squad (size or personnel) screams bargain basement, especially with the reduction :p

I think we might lose all three Du Preez brothers tbh - from what I've heard Rob is basically the leader of the pack, and I can't see us keeping him around
I reckon we'll see a massive changing of the guard soon - a lot of players have contracts that run out at the same time, which will give Axe a chance to build a squad that he wants, rather than inheriting one built a specific way

We'll have to agree to disagree on Wasps cap useage - nothing about that squad (size or personnel) screams bargain basement, especially with the reduction :p
True, Axe seems to be the sort of coach who will look to use a squad of home grown quality. The benefit Axe has is he knows the region and Sale have a huge untapped potential in the North. Sedbergh seems to breed talent and if you can access similar schools and clubs that Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Yorkshire have then they could just have a conveyor belt of exciting talent infused with International experience. Sharks have the backing of great owners and I can really see the growth opportunities.

It would surprise me if players such as Du Preez's, Outhizen, De Jaager, De Klerk all left and young talent came through. If i was Axe i'd be on the phone to players like Kpoku and Christie etc and offering senior game time regularly.

In terms of all club supporters like to think they are not spending.

If Tiger hadn't signed Van Staden Curry would've been a perfect fit.

If Tiger hadn't signed Van Staden Curry would've been a perfect fit.
Standard contract length is 2 seasons, to be fair

If the SA sides settle in well in Pro14/Europe I wouldn't be surprised to see the SA union start to implement, or at least favour, home based players - where they can control their game time/training camps more

Standard contract length is 2 seasons, to be fair

If the SA sides settle in well in Pro14/Europe I wouldn't be surprised to see the SA union start to implement, or at least favour, home based players - where they can control their game time/training camps more

Potentially, although I'm still not sure the SA union minds too much, unlike Aus they have embraced it and it paid off.

Potentially, although I'm still not sure the SA union minds too much, unlike Aus they have embraced it and it paid off.
Yeah, that's true - they might change their mind with the increased number of matches and the clashes with the European schedule for training camps, but that's something for them to worry about in the future

I could see SA targeting certain positions, like fly half's etc.

I don't know if they would want to invest the money into bringing in too many back towers though especially given the raise of some of the youngsters.

I reckon they will stick to trying to keep the younger players and signing older players coming off the back of their pay day.

True. I actually think Quins wouldn't go for him.... Kenningham feels like a very similar player and could be used in a very similar way.
I think we would be interested. Kenningham is like a young Robshaw and is a useful 6.5 who does everything well without being outstanding in any one particular area. His attitude to personal safety also reminds me a bit of Lewis Moody. He and Evans could definitely play together, but I think it's probably more like an either/or with a bigger player at 6 like Chisholm or Lawday. Chisholm is very good (and underrated) but doesn't have a great injury record. Lawday is good enough, but Hill is considerably better.

Hill is a physical beast and an excellent lineout forward. The closest thing England have to PSdT IMO. I'd be very happy with him at 6, Evans or Kenners at 7 and Dombrandt or Chis at 8.

Best fit for Ted would probably be Exeter - he'd be great in their 7 role.

I think we would be interested. Kenningham is like a young Robshaw and is a useful 6.5 who does everything well without being outstanding in any one particular area. His attitude to personal safety also reminds me a bit of Lewis Moody. He and Evans could definitely play together, but I think it's probably more like an either/or with a bigger player at 6 like Chisholm or Lawday. Chisholm is very good (and underrated) but doesn't have a great injury record. Lawday is good enough, but Hill is considerably better.

Hill is a physical beast and an excellent lineout forward. The closest thing England have to PSdT IMO. I'd be very happy with him at 6, Evans or Kenners at 7 and Dombrandt or Chis at 8.

Best fit for Ted would probably be Exeter - he'd be great in their 7 role.
I'd swap Lawday for Hill in a heartbeat - wouldn't be the worst deal for Warriors either imo

On the salary cap - from what I can find, it stays the same for next season (but obviously, with fewer grandfathered contracts) but the marquee allowance shrinks from 2 marquees, to 1 - so Faletau is unlikely to be the last marquee player heading home (or to France / Japan)

There can only be one

Last edited:
Guess it depends on who the marquee players are.
Most clubs have 1 obvious marquee signing but not really a second, reality is most clubs can only really afford to pay 1 player outside the traditional pay structure. Would imagine most English marquee players won't move due to International reasons.

Bristol is interesting given they have 3 non English big names.

Most clubs have 1 obvious marquee signing but not really a second, reality is most clubs can only really afford to pay 1 player outside the traditional pay structure. Would imagine most English marquee players won't move due to International reasons.

Radradra probably most likely to go considering his injury?

Every club will have 2 Marquee players - they'll just be the best paid, eligible player; rather than obvious stand-outs.

Doesn't one of the MPs have to be an overseas player? or was it just signed from an overseas league?

Every club will have 2 Marquee players - they'll just be the best paid, eligible player; rather than obvious stand-outs.

Doesn't one of the MPs have to be an overseas player? or was it just signed from an overseas league?
They must *Not be signed from a Prem club* I believe

Quins - I'll give you this Ford Mondeo and you will give me a Ferrari and you will take it as it is cheaper insurance and you get good mileage out of it.

Latest posts