• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Got a feeling Jonny Hill might be following the Exeter exodus to France,
Still under contract but in today's press briefing Sanderson says:

Then as things have transpired and will transpire over the next couple of weeks in terms of big stories coming out, money has become available which can be used for Manu.
and about signing Ellis as a second row:
With other moving factors which will become obvious in the next couple of weeks there was a need to strengthen that area through a bit of edge, bulk.

In the same briefing he mentions contract negotiations with Beaumont, and Cobus injury recovery going into next season, and also Jean-Luc literally just signed a new contract so that only really leaves Hill as a senior lock that a) earns enough that a chunk could go towards Manu and leave enough left over to sign a replacement and b) plays enough that their absence would be missed (i.e. not Dom Barrow)

Got a feeling Jonny Hill might be following the Exeter exodus to France,
Still under contract but in today's press briefing Sanderson says:

and about signing Ellis as a second row:

In the same briefing he mentions contract negotiations with Beaumont, and Cobus injury recovery going into next season, and also Jean-Luc literally just signed a new contract so that only really leaves Hill as a senior lock that a) earns enough that a chunk could go towards Manu and leave enough left over to sign a replacement and b) plays enough that their absence would be missed (i.e. not Dom Barrow)

Got Ernst van Rhyn apprently lined up. Excellent if true
Can't decide if Manu is good signing or not honestly. Guess all depends on value
Most he's played for ages, but also least effective he's looked IMO.

Can't decide if Manu is good signing or not honestly. Guess all depends on value
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking - good from a commercial point of view as he's one of the most recognisable names/faces in the English game, and by all accounts he's big presence off the field
But on field performance matters most so I really hope that that's seriously been taken into account - think axe can be a bit soppy with players, so hopefully the money men read him the riot act when negotiating

Putting to bed lots of rumours....Calum Chick signs a new 2 year contract with us.

So I was floating about, thinking about how quickly Wasps need to put a team together and reviewing the players currently on the market/leaving prem teams as we speak. Considering that we are most likely going to spend mid/top end of champ and Ealing averaged £1.3m per year on squad with a top end players earning £75k.

So I will make an assumption that we will spend somewhere around 850-900K ish? Assuming we have no large sponsor and assuming we have a 30 man squad (plus some loan players) doesn't give a huge wiggle room on who we can sign etc and would mean a 30k average per player.

So looking through who has been released, my assumption is our squad will be built of mainly youngsters and loanees, with a few older heads.

Players i'd be interested in include:
Darren Atkins, Max Green, Tom Doughty, Gabriel Hammer-Webb, Will Spencer, Frankie Read, Jordan Venter (Bath)
Sam Lewis, Henry Purdy, John Hawkins, Sam Jefferies, Peter Carter, Jac Lloyd, Tom Wilstead, Aaron Thompson (Bristol)
Jack Maunder (Exeter)
Rhys Litterick, Conor Oresanya (Quins)
Riley Williams, Horsea Saumaki, Kini Murimurivalu, Chester Owen, George Loose (Leicester)
Charlie Smith, James Blackett, Chidera Obanna, Ewan Greenlaw, Jeremy Civil (Newcastle)
Frankie Sleightholme, Archie Kean, Ethan Grayson, Josh Weru, Joseph Gaffan, Callum Burns (Saints)
Ben Carlisle, Sam Hill, Elliot Gourlay, Kieran Wilkinson (Sale)
Louie Kirkham, Oran Murphy, Oliver Stirling, Isaac Miller, Hugo O'Sullivan, Isaac Curtis-Harris (Irish)

Obviously we won't get all and will have to be select due to finances but at least there's a good start to go off. Hopefully we may get a few from other teams that might be interested too but will be interesting to see how we get on.

I bet you'd be able to wangle a number of loan players considering the quality of your training facilities

I bet you'd be able to wangle a number of loan players considering the quality of your training facilities
I think so... depends on the facilities we use.. rumours that we might use Wuss's or may use ours and play at Sixways. No agreement yet.

I can imagine there would be a fair few who would be keen. Can see a few who are old wasps boys wanting to come back. Will Glister (Saints), Ma'asi White, Opoku-Fordjour (Sale), McArthur (Glaws), Bell (Exeter) etc wanting to come back to play.

Out of interest, any of the Sale lads be a good option?

Surely you'd use your own, after you've spent so much building them? Or are they owned by the old owners and not available now?
They're up there with some of the best in the league

We signed Ma'asi-White and Opoku-Fordjour on long term deals, so they won't be available until 2026

Surely you'd use your own, after you've spent so much building them? Or are they owned by the old owners and not available now?
They're up there with some of the best in the league

We signed Ma'asi-White and Opoku-Fordjour on long term deals, so they won't be available until 2026
Well thats what i'd assume too, so not sure why those rumours are floating haha.

i think it was more on loan with first team rugby guaranteed than perm signings. Be in an environment they know and get good opportunities.

Out of interest, any of the Sale lads be a good option?
Gourlay definitely, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't sign for Caldy (been starting for them the last two seasons on loan)

Wilkinson is a good shout while you're in the championship - on form he's very good but he's inconsistent with it
Not someone you'd put in to start in the Prem now but with more experience? Who knows

Carlisle I don't think I've ever seen play tbh

Hill I don't think would be worth the salary - I was really excited when we signed him but he's been average at very best, but also had some genuinely shocking performances, especially in defence

Ryan Mills is who you should push hard for IMO, he played very well for us, would cover 10/12/13, is a goal kicker and a leader
Injury history might put off prem sides so might get a good deal.
Also I think he still lives in Worcester

i think it was more on loan with first team rugby
Very good point, yeah I could definitely see that

Gourlay definitely, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't sign for Caldy (been starting for them the last two seasons on loan)

Wilkinson is a good shout while you're in the championship - on form he's very good but he's inconsistent with it
Not someone you'd put in to start in the Prem now but with more experience? Who knows

Carlisle I don't think I've ever seen play tbh

Hill I don't think would be worth the salary - I was really excited when we signed him but he's been average at very best, but also had some genuinely shocking performances, especially in defence

Ryan Mills is who you should push hard for IMO, he played very well for us, would cover 10/12/13, is a goal kicker and a leader
Injury history might put off prem sides so might get a good deal.
Also I think he still lives in Worcester

Very good point, yeah I could definitely see that
Yeah i'd love Mills, seeing as we didn't get to see him much the first time, I'd tale Wilkinson and Gourlay for sure. Ma'asi white and Opoku-Fordjour would love to have back on loan.

A load of players have just been released from the Welsh regions, I wonder if any of them will find their way to Wasps?

Here's the full list, some very good players in there, especially if you need a little experience to complement some youth. Obviously some have already secured contracts elsewhere, or are retiring, but looking through thst list the likes of Ben Fry, Halfpenny, Patchell, WillGriff John, Lee-Lo, Halaholo, Lloyd Williams, Ratti, Lydiate & Anscombe are all without a club as it stands!

A load of players have just been released from the Welsh regions, I wonder if any of them will find their way to Wasps?

Here's the full list, some very good players in there, especially if you need a little experience to complement some youth. Obviously some have already secured contracts elsewhere, or are retiring, but looking through thst list the likes of Ben Fry, Halfpenny, Patchell, WillGriff John, Lee-Lo, Halaholo, Lloyd Williams, Ratti, Lydiate & Anscombe are all without a club as it stands!

So again this will be an interesting one, Ealing will 100% be after a few of the list but i'm sure Wasps and other champ clubs will snap a few up. Maybe some will land in PRD2?
I could see Halfpenny, Halaholo, Lee-Lo, Lloyd Williams, Anscombe, Lydiate etc being interesting for those clubs.

It's remarkable how many players are available with such little budget available in so many teams. I could see some prem teams going in for a few (Newcastle in particular) but they just don't have the budget.

How the likes of internationals such as Halaholo, Lloyd Williams, Anscombe, Lydiate, Halfpenny, Dacey etc can't get a club is staggering.

Give me Ben Fry, James Ratti, Halaholo, Williams etc everyday of the week (Halaholo is bit of a stretch). Think Halaholo, Anscombe and Lee-Lo will be off to France or back to Super Rugby if they don't get a good offer. Kalamafoni too for sure.

Good young welsh players...sure chiefs will snap them up 😉

The Sale --> Sale FC --> Released --> Tigers pathway lives on

Wilkinson would be a decent pickup for Tigers but tbh I would've thought he'd go somewhere where he'd get more gametime - his issue with us was not having the consistent gametime to grow and prove himself, if he signed for Tigers he'd be firm third choice
Then again if you've just been released and Tigers come calling I doubt many would say know. Will know Dolly pretty well, as well, being in the same academy year and playing England u20 together (same Eng side as Hassell-Collins, too)

So again this will be an interesting one, Ealing will 100% be after a few of the list but i'm sure Wasps and other champ clubs will snap a few up. Maybe some will land in PRD2?
I could see Halfpenny, Halaholo, Lee-Lo, Lloyd Williams, Anscombe, Lydiate etc being interesting for those clubs.

It's remarkable how many players are available with such little budget available in so many teams. I could see some prem teams going in for a few (Newcastle in particular) but they just don't have the budget.

How the likes of internationals such as Halaholo, Lloyd Williams, Anscombe, Lydiate, Halfpenny, Dacey etc can't get a club is staggering.

Give me Ben Fry, James Ratti, Halaholo, Williams etc everyday of the week (Halaholo is bit of a stretch). Think Halaholo, Anscombe and Lee-Lo will be off to France or back to Super Rugby if they don't get a good offer. Kalamafoni too for sure.
After a while they will claim more money. Of course, if they prove themselves. That's the way it is in sports. That's why it's better to get them on the cheap :)

Looks like Freddie Burns is going to Shokki Shuttles next season: he commented "See you next season" under James Gaskell's post about the season ending
Unless they're both joining Wasps or something

Would love to know what kind of salaries these Division 2 sides are throwing about

Looks like Freddie Burns is going to Shokki Shuttles next season: he commented "See you next season" under James Gaskell's post about the season ending
Unless they're both joining Wasps or something

Would love to know what kind of salaries these Division 2 sides are throwing about
Oh yes... i'd love to have these two haha. Won't happen but would be fun

Latest posts