• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Should do it, tbh - two years then come back before the next RWC when Farrell and Ford are aging out of international rugby

Quins would be royally effed though

This … it's always impossible to know how a new player will settle, but all the available evidence suggests Evans will be a good fit for Quins and I think he's good enough to be a starter if Smith does go.

Don't get me wrong, Marcus going would be a huge loss for Quins (on and off field from a branding POV), but he's our biggest earner and if we could reinvest that money wisely, it wouldn't be a total disaster.

If it did happen, I'd bring in Kieran Wilkinson who has just been released by Sale and then a couple of the LI players if they go bust (plenty of good ones to go after there).

Gunning for a Wallabies spot?
I guess he knows Borthwick pretty well and if Borthwick hasn't been on the blower about possible England chances then they're unlikely to materialise in the future

General consensus seems to be that players in line/sniffing for WC call up go home, English top players probably looking at like of Willis in France, thinking he's got a nice deal and the success of French league and trying to force RFU hand.

If Smith goes to Racing along with likes of Itoje etc then prem will take a huge marketing hit.

Like Potter, not been confirmed by either club yet so still technically a rumour, but apparently Salakaia-Loto has signed for Rebels,
That's a blow for Saints and a shame for Prem fans in general as he's been great to watch, one of my favourites this season

Gunning for a Wallabies spot?
I guess he knows Borthwick pretty well and if Borthwick hasn't been on the blower about possible England chances then they're unlikely to materialise in the future
I read that Borthwick's already been in touch with 70 players about possible RWC selection so if you're not one of those you've got a pretty good idea where you stand. Or simply have a better offer elsewhere.

Couldn't blame Smith for heading to France. But it would say a lot about the English game, on and off the field.

Like Potter, not been confirmed by either club yet so still technically a rumour, but apparently Salakaia-Loto has signed for Rebels,
That's a blow for Saints and a shame for Prem fans in general as he's been great to watch, one of my favourites this season
If you are tigers... use potter money to sign Kilbrige or Spink.. in particular Spink who would provide fantastic inside/outside centre coverage giving others a chance to shift to wing where required.

I read that Borthwick's already been in touch with 70 players about possible RWC selection so if you're not one of those you've got a pretty good idea where you stand. Or simply have a better offer elsewhere.

Couldn't blame Smith for heading to France. But it would say a lot about the English game, on and off the field.
Personally, I'd hope Borthwick has also spoken to younger fringe players about post WC. I know WC is the current focus, but reality is that he was never going to rip up the entire squad. However, post WC he'll have more freedom. There are a lot of younger/fringe players who would benefit from being told they are close or in the thoughts and if they keep playing well next season then they'll definitely be in the conversation.

I just thought: Is Potter even eligible for Australia anymore?
Born in England, emigrated when he was 10, moved back here a few years ago

Doesn't your residency reset if you move away? Or does citizenship (presumable he has it) count as rugby eligibility?

I just thought: Is Potter even eligible for Australia anymore?
Born in England, emigrated when he was 10, moved back here a few years ago

Doesn't your residency reset if you move away? Or does citizenship (presumable he has it) count as rugby eligibility?
I believe citizenship is ok

Nah - citizenship has never been an element in rugby eligibility.
Parent, grandparent, residency (currently 5 years)

It's 1 set of criteria, unlike citizenship which has different criteria for every nation
Yes but like if you hold an Irish passport you are ok isn't it. Maybe I misunderstood

Yes but like if you hold an Irish passport you are ok isn't it. Maybe I misunderstood
Only if you meet the grandparent, parent, birth or residency rules as well as holding an Irish passport. For example, you can't get around the 5 year residency requirement because the Irish government only required 3 years of residency to qualify for citizenship.

Equally, you can't play for France because you come from Senegal and happened to visit France for a few days; or Malta because you happen to have €50,000 you weren't doing anything with.

(I think those examples are correct, but even if not, they serve to show the point)

Is there not a rule regarding residency under the age of 18? Like it'd be mad not to let him play for a country where he lived for over 10 years and did every bit of formal education he's ever had in, genuinely change the rules worthy.

Edit: had look There's a 10 year rule that covers you for life -

(d) the Player has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing

Latest posts