• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

In theory Quins should have money ...

By all accounts Marcus Smith got a big bump to stick around which will have eaten up some of it, but we didn't replace Robshaw or Clifford who were both big earners and some of our other outgoing players like Brown, Baldwin and Lang are former/current internationals who will be on decent pay too.

We also have a bunch of leavers like Campagnaro and Young (plus quite a few TBA I think) who will all be on mid tier salaries.

The strength of our academy products probably means we can use this as an opportunity to re-balance for the post-COVID world, but we will definitely need to sign some experienced players too.

Not officially confirmed by the club yet, but everywhere is reporting an extension for Manu to 2023
Even with his injuries I'm happy with that - apparently we got a good deal (paid a chunk less than foreign clubs offered), and if we can get him fit for even half a season he's a game changer

I mean we need a tighthead, and top level ones are like hens teeth, but still......

Hmm...

So rumours
Wasps want Searle back to replace Sopoaga
Sale sign Manu 2 year contract
Sale want to sign Jannis du Plessis
Matt Sherratt leaves Worcester back coach role to join Cardiff
Tom Hudson getting interest from Worcester

Seale makes somewhat sense IMO, Gives them a bit more depth alot cheaper and knows Hougaard
Manu is Manu, Sale fans will borrow the hopium that Tigers fans used to have
Jannis du Plessis woudn't be surprised if he is viewed as a potential scrum coach or something, maybe coming in to help players like Rodd
Sherratt hasn't done much really, question is can Worcester really replace him? Is Thomas the right guy
Hudson just seems like a depth player at prem level.

So rumours

Seale makes somewhat sense IMO, Gives them a bit more depth alot cheaper and knows Hougaard
Jannis du Plessis woudn't be surprised if he is viewed as a potential scrum coach or something, maybe coming in to help players like Rodd
Sherratt hasn't done much really, question is can Worcester really replace him? Is Thomas the right guy
@TRF_Olyy I've got some Hopium going if you need. It's well used, but in good condition and never let me down. Also comes with the England level upgrade for free.

So rumours

As I see it, if we can get a good if not better replacement for Searle I'll be happy
With Sherratt going would move Jones to attack and we'd need a new defence coach, something we desperately need judging by this season
Will have to look at who Hudson is to be able to comment

Searle to Wasps makes some sense in some aspects but i am surprised that he would come back.

He was a team favourite and always seemed to get on with the squad.

As I see it, if we can get a good if not better replacement for Searle I'll be happy
With Sherratt going would move Jones to attack and we'd need a new defence coach, something we desperately need judging by this season
Will have to look at who Hudson is to be able to comment
Hudson is a fullback at Gloucester. I like what I've seen of him in the past but for whatever reason, he's well down the pecking order. Definitely not top drawer, but a good squad player nonetheless.

Troublesome for Worcester if they lose Searle as well as Weir.

Hudson is a fullback at Gloucester. I like what I've seen of him in the past but for whatever reason, he's well down the pecking order. Definitely not top drawer, but a good squad player nonetheless.

Troublesome for Worcester if they lose Searle as well as Weir.
Yeah it leaves us with Shillcock who IMO isn't a Prem 10 and Fin Smith who has 3 Prem games under his belt

Also just a query.... but when does this Exeter squad start breaking down... I was looking at their squad... they have 56 players according to Wiki in their first team.

This includes 19 Internationals (LCD, Taione, Francis, Moon, Williams, Hepburn, Gray, Hill, Skinner, Armand, Simmonds, Hidalgo-Clyne, Maunder, Devoto, Slade, Nowell, Cuthbert, Hogg, Whitten)

Oh plus the likes of Ewers, Yeandle (CC), Woodburn, Joe Simmonds who must be doing ok contract wise. Plus Kirsten, Vermeulen and O'Flaherty who must be expecting bumber contracts.

I just don't understand how when contracts come to renew such an impressive squad can stay together.

ALSO.. in no way am I saying that they are currently breaking the salary cap. I'm just wondering with all their success squad wise, it might be about to take it's toll.

Yeah it leaves us with Shillcock who IMO isn't a Prem 10 and Fin Smith who has 3 Prem games under his belt

Would be a big call to lump it all on Fin Smith BUT if no relegation, would it hurt?

I've heard from mates who used to play academy that Wuss academy is known for being well paid and often has a cracking squad.

So Shillcock plays both 10 and 15.

@will311293 I don't think it would hurt Smith, much like Marcus Smith getting thrown in. Problem is there isn't the strength in depth at 10 and if we lose Searle, that drops us to 2 players to cover that position, 1 injury and we're stuffed.

@EdBirch for sure you need another 10. If I was Wuss i'd keep Searle and play Smith much like Smith (Quins) did. Give him the senior head of Heinz at 9 and with butler, Lawrence, Venter, Nanai, Van Der Merwe, David, etc outside him could be potent attack.

Reckon we might see Wasps do it with Atkinson as foil to Umaga

Also just a query.... but when does this Exeter squad start breaking down... I was looking at their squad... they have 56 players according to Wiki in their first team.

This includes 19 Internationals (LCD, Taione, Francis, Moon, Williams, Hepburn, Gray, Hill, Skinner, Armand, Simmonds, Hidalgo-Clyne, Maunder, Devoto, Slade, Nowell, Cuthbert, Hogg, Whitten)

Oh plus the likes of Ewers, Yeandle (CC), Woodburn, Joe Simmonds who must be doing ok contract wise. Plus Kirsten, Vermeulen and O'Flaherty who must be expecting bumber contracts.

I just don't understand how when contracts come to renew such an impressive squad can stay together.

ALSO.. in no way am I saying that they are currently breaking the salary cap. I'm just wondering with all their success squad wise, it might be about to take it's toll.
I think they've been very careful about managing the cap - most of their squad either came up through the academy, or were unfancied players from elsewhere who got their break at Exeter.
When including the fringes of international rugby, 19 isn't an abnormal number for the Prem; and from that list, they've got 2 who would be Lions-quality (Hogg & Gray), who'd be their 2 marquee players; and then only 2 who are regular international starters (Francis and Slade) a couple of benchers (LCD & Hill); followed up by a couple of international discards (Nowell & Cuthbert), and a bunch of international tried-and-failed. So there's not really all that many top-earners there.

56 players is because they don't seperate out their academy from the seniors; realistically it's 40-45 seniors and 11-16 academy.

Exeter are the ultimate "greater than the sum of their parts" club - I really don't look at them and think "how do they afford that squad?" - they've not got regular internationals or lions quality players sitting on the bench behind lions quality starters as Sarries did.

international discards (Nowell
Bit harsh!
He plays whenever he's fit - that's just...pretty rare

Exeters issues will come when their starters are renegotiating contracts - if rumours are to be believed then Slade's latest contract doubled last time it was up for renewal
They do well bringing through a good mix of academy and less glamorous players, as you said, but being a starter for the Prem/HEC holders will come with a certain price tag that their agents will be well aware of

Also I think that 56 players number is slightly misleading as I believe Exeter count their senior academy and senior players as one playing group, whereas most other sides don't

Bit harsh!
He plays whenever he's fit - that's just...pretty rare
It feels harsh, but...
He needs injuries to at least 1 of May, Watson, Daly and Malins in order to make the bench; and even then if Coka gets back to form he'll be dropping another place in the pecking order; and that's before we look at Odogwu's development, or any of the other the bright young prospects out wide.
I think his time as a regular in Eddie's squads is passed - I'm sure he'll pick up another few caps; but he's reliant on injuries to do so.

Latest posts